Camp Carnival : 2yo on the cruise

AngelOfDistress

Hi,

I have a friend who wants to take a Carnival cruise in the fall with her daughter who will turn 2 years old on the 3rd day of the cruise.

I always thought that a child needs to be 2yo on the first day of the cruise to be able to use Camp Carnival but her travel agent told her that as long as she had her second birthday while on the cruise, she would be able to participe in the camp carnival.

The same travel agent told her that her child would have to be potty trained so I tend to think that her travel agent has no idea what she's talking about!

So will she be able to participe or not?

Thank you!

To be honest - I'm not sure. DS turned 6 on a cruise - he started in the 2-5 year old group, and stayed there for the remainder of the cruise, even after he turned 6. But he was content there, and I didn't ask to have him moved.

On our first cruise, we witnessed a very unhappy couple who were unable to have their "almost 2 year old" daughter participate in the camp.

Hopefully, someone here will have encountered your friend's specific situation. I wouldn't trust the word of this travel agent. I think I'd try to get something in writing from Carnival.

Good luck!

The TA doesn't have a clue. The rule states that you are the same age for the entire cruise, regardless if you celebrate a birthday during the cruise. This goes for someone who might turn 21 during a cruise or an infant who's one and would turn two the second day of the cruise. Your friend's child will be considered age one for the entire cruise.

Our first cruise with our "almost" 2 y.o. daughter was in 2003, she was actually about 2 weeks away from being 2, and the Camp staff let her attend anyway. But - it was in February, they weren't overly busy. There is no guarantee......might be worth waiting until after 2 to be sure.

I am not sure about the age issue but I think they would probably allow the child to participate. iKids do not need to be potty trained to attend Camp Carnival. We sailed on the Legend with our son when he was 2 and not fully potty trained yet. We just left his diaper bag when we dropped him off at camp.

I am thinking of taking a cruise in December. Actually I did book it. We have 2 biological dd 14/19 and 3 boys 2,2 and 3. I am wondering those of you who used CC how secure it is so the children cant get out. My boys are climbers and I wonder what precautions are taken. Can they get out the door as someone else comes in? I am just worried that they can sneak out.

What did your day consist of with the toddlers....what did you all do? I dont plan to stick them in CC all the time. I just wanted to know what you all did and if you used the babysitting service in the cabin?

I appreciate any advice you can give :)

Thank You-Stacy

My 3 y.o. DS is very active too. Camp Carnival is very secure. They had a child proof half-door to get into the Camp area (at least on the Imagination) and then another door to get into the area the parents checked in at, so no escapes should be possible (never say never, but it would take some effort) During the day our 3 y.o. enjoyed the ports, swimming, water park, mini golf, ice cream, naps and Camp. Evenings after dinner he enjoyed camp. He was always busy. Didn't spend much time in the room at all. The nice thing is you will have the same age bracket with the 2-3 y.o.s, so that should help in dropping them off together. There isn't any in room sitting on Carnival, but our kids enjoyed the late night babysitting, they put out blankets, pillows, and put on movies. They always fell asleep there. Have fun!

Last August we sailed victory with our daughter who turned 2 september 1st. we went to orientation and talked to the 2 yo group and were never asked how old she was. and no she was not potty trained. we never did end up bringing her to CC but were told she'd be welcome

Just wanted to add on my last cruise, November 2005 on Carnival, they allowed my daughter into the camp. She was one and half weeks shy of her second birthday. They told me that they would see how she did and if there was a problem, they would let me know. And she was fantastic and loved it.

Hopefully they'll be as understanding with you. Good Luck!

Our youngest son was in the 2-5 group on our first two cruises and I was really impressed with Camp Carnival's activities and safety procedures. He's now in the 6-8 group; on our cruise next February, he will turn 9 on the day before we return to port, but he's had such a good time with the 6-8 group I figure we'll go with that group instead of trying to move up.

The TA actually did know a thing or 2. ;)

Carnival is one of the few cruiselines that changes diapers. And if the child is turning 2 on the cruise, they *may* allow her into the camp. They WILL allow her in during the Under 2 times.

There are 2 links in my signature, take a look at both. The one is a link to the Camp Carnival schedules so you can see what the child will be doing in camp.

The 2nd link, my cruising with children blog, outlines what the policies are on each cruiseline, including Carnival. And how much the babysitting service (and times) are for those that are Under 2.

• 2 weeks later...
The TA actually did know a thing or 2. ;)

Carnival is one of the few cruiselines that changes diapers. And if the child is turning 2 on the cruise, they *may* allow her into the camp. They WILL allow her in during the Under 2 times.

There are 2 links in my signature, take a look at both. The one is a link to the Camp Carnival schedules so you can see what the child will be doing in camp.

The 2nd link, my cruising with children blog, outlines what the policies are on each cruiseline, including Carnival. And how much the babysitting service (and times) are for those that are Under 2.

Thank you so much for the links! We are taking our entire family, including our 2 year old grandson, on a cruise in July. We started cruising when our youngest DD was 6 (she is now 21), so we have never experienced a cruise with a toddler. Your information is most helpful!!

Just returned from the Carnival Miracle and the entry is very secure...

The entrance door way is probably 4 feet tall (well above my waist and I am 5'10". There are locks on the inside of the door and 1 on the outside of the doorway as well. All 3 have to be opened in order for the door to open.

There are also signs indicating that the door is not to be opened by anyone other then a Camp Carnival staff person, and they are very strict about this.

There was one day that I was leaving with my 17 month old niece (I had taken her for the family play time) - and there was only 1 other child in the playroom and he was asleep on the floor. I was taking Livvy out - so she wouldn't wake him up and started to open the door myself. 3 staff members came running over and told me that I was not to open the doors myself.

The children are also not permitted to play around the door area - and will quickly be distsracted and encouraged to play in the other areas.

If you have any other questions -- please don't hesitate to ask.

Tracey

Don't worry about the boys who are very active. They deal with that kind of child all the time, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. The boys will be taken care of, so you really don't have to worry.

Archived