What do men wear on casual nights?

I was wondering what men usually wear on the casual nights in the dining room? I'm thinking shorts, a polo shirt and sneakers is too casual, right?

If so then DH needs to bring pants. I'm thinking at least 1 pair of pants (or should it be 2) and some polo shirts? The more I pack for him, the less room there is for me, LOL

My husband wears long pants (seersucker, khaki, nantucket reds...) and usually a button down shirt--tropical print, solid color linen, silk......He has some nice leather fisherman's sandals and a pair of Tommy Bahama boat shoe/loafer hybrids that he'll wear for casual evenings in the dining room:D That's for a warm weather cruise. In Alaska, he wears the same sorts of thing but maybe a long sleeve shirt, he didn't bring seersucker or linen on that trip....

DH wears khakis and either a golf type shirt or a Hawaiian type shirt (don't know what to call it--buttons down the front and has some kind of print--soft, non-wrinkly fabric)

Exactly what my husband wears. (Note my avatar)

No shorts in the dining room in the evening. You can wear shorts at breakfast or lunch in the main dining room, though.

Most cruise lines don't allow shorts in the dining room at dinner. Tank tops and flip flops are usually not allowed for men. At the risk of opening a can of really ugly worms, several lines do allow nice jeans. Some men dress up, some don't. Casual attire for most men I've seen on cruises consists of long pants and any kind of shirt with a collar (woven shirt or polo.) I've seen T-shirts also, but would emphasize wearing tees without any advertising or slogans.

DH usually wears khakis and a short sleeved Hawaiian shirt or a polo.

Yes, shorts are day wear, not for dining in the evening. My husband, like most already mentioned...wears kahki, navy, slacks with polos or button downs. And has a pair of Ralph Lauren linen slacks that he wears with this gorgeous RL black and kahki print top...that is HOT, HOT, HOT (looking that is), for our cruises and beach trips.

Blazers aren't needed for casual nights.

However in terms of footwear, snearkers aren't appropriate in my opinion and neither are sandals (I don't care how nice, I don't want to be looking at your toes during dinner).

Go for a nice loafer or to save on packing space, just wear your dress shoes that you brought along for the other nights. In my feeling though, the shoes should at least be leather at the least.

However in terms of footwear, snearkers aren't appropriate in my opinion and neither are sandals (I don't care how nice, I don't want to be looking at your toes during dinner)..

If women can wear nice sandals, why not men? My husband even gets pedicures with me (no polish:p ) His dress sandals look like this, though, hiding his toes so your sensibilities are safe:rolleyes:

_5568875.jpg

If women can wear nice sandals, why not men? My husband even gets pedicures with me (no polish:p ) His dress sandals look like this, though, hiding his toes so your sensibilities are safe:rolleyes:

There are lots of contradictions when it comes to fashion amongst the genders. Why is one piece of clothing acceptable on a woman & not a man and vice versa?

There are lots of contradictions when it comes to fashion amongst the genders. Why is one piece of clothing acceptable on a woman & not a man and vice versa?

True. However, unlike, say, tank tops--you might not like dressy sandals on a man but they aren't inappropriate in the dining room of a cruise on a casual night. Note, I am not talking about flip flips--which would be inappropriate for women OR men. I am talking about nice dressy sandals. And they're appropriate for men or women.

Whether or not you like them, obviously, differs:rolleyes:

Black slax and silk long sleeve first night or two switching to to white pants with guayaberas, Hawaiian or short sleeve silks & white huaraches.

Plenty of tropical wear in SE TX.

My husband wears linen drawstring pants.

I have a pair, shorts as well, cool for our tropical climate, but linen never travels well or else I'm doing it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an old Marine and my main hobby other then Ballroom is Tropical gardening, and in SE TX, it's a blood sport.

I think my point is cruising is special, so why not dress for the occasion?

I have a pair, shorts as well, cool for our tropical climate, but linen never travels well or else I'm doing it wrong.

Nope, you're doing nothing wrong. It seems that if you look at linen the wrong way it wrinkles.

I have a pair of linen pants I wear on occasion in the summer, but it is a real chore ironing them before hand only to see them utterly wrinkled the first time I sit down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an old Marine and my main hobby other then Ballroom is Tropical gardening, and in SE TX, it's a blood sport.

I think my point is cruising is special, so why not dress for the occasion?

To me, that has always been the beauty of linen.

I love the way a good heavy linen wrinkles. Not the cheap 50/50 cotton/linen but good, expensive, heavy linen.

I pack linen and it comes out fine. I hang it over a plastic dry cleaner bag and the put another bag over the garment. I press it well and let it cool first.

No fabric feels as cool and comfortable as a nice quality linen on a hot steamy day. The wrinkles, well, just part of the beauty of linen :)

If you dont want the linen to come out of the case looking like a dishrag, fold it with tissue paper between. I know some wrinkles look ok, but there is a limit. Drawstring, no thanks, they just look like pyjamas IMHO, no matter how expensive. This could be a UK thing though, I was brought up that it has to have a razor sharp crease in the front to be acceptable, in fact my Dad still spends hours pressing his trousers.

DH wears tailored linen, or chinos (no creases in the front!), with a smart short sleeved shirt, or polo with casual shoes. He loves sandals, but would never wear them in the evening.

Fashion is clearly very subjective, what one person loves, another will hate... no rights or wrongs generally, so long as you observe the 'recommendations'. Eg I hate hawaiian shirts, to me they just scream tourist, but it's up to you if you wear one.

If you dont want the linen to come out of the case looking like a dishrag, fold it with tissue paper between. I know some wrinkles look ok, but there is a limit. Drawstring, no thanks, they just look like pyjamas IMHO, no matter how expensive. This could be a UK thing though, I was brought up that it has to have a razor sharp crease in the front to be acceptable, in fact my Dad still spends hours pressing his trousers.

I've got both linen pants and shorts with a draw string, and they never seem to stay up. I do use the drycleaning bag packing method for about everything on a cruise.

Linen shirts and car seat belts don't seem to work well together either as you come out wrinkled after any kind of drive.

100% cotton or a blend seems to work best down here for our endless summers and tropical cruises.

I agree, a blazer, long sleeved collared shirt and fine slacks. I love linen but hate all the extra care required so I use 100% year round wool. Works fine in all tmeps up to 120 degrees. In the evning I feel that without the blazer, the look is unfinished. If one doesn't like to wear a tie (always a better look) then one can use a nice scarf under the collar. Very elegant in a casual way.

Archived