Snorkeling off the beach

Zeno

Just hire a cab either for the day or each way - some will drop you off and come back for you later (just don't pay them until they do!). We hired Victor Bodden for the day. He took us to the Iguana Farm, toured around the island, and then to West End Beach through the Mayan Princess. We walked on down the beach to Tabayana (which is where the cruise lines take people for a beach day) and snorkeled on our own. We didn't see much until we went beyond the roped area, closer to the rock wall. This was incredible snorkeling. Just be careful - the rocks and coral are very near the surface and you have to navigate around them to get out to deeped water. Its like going through a maze. Anyone who panics easily shouldn't go out far because it is tricky to get back in. But we felt the snorkeling was worth it!

Mayan Princess has wonderful snorkeling within a short walk down the beach. I was amazed at what you could see so close to shore.

Hire a cab at the pier. They will take you to the beach and stay there to take you back. I'm sorry but I can not recall the price. It is a bit of a drive but worth it.

When you get to Roatan it looks a bit grim. It had to be one of the best snorkeling beaches and I would love to return

just as Jlines said, the snorkeling at Tabayana is outa this world...some of the best off-beach snorkeling youll find in the caribbean....you have two ways to get there on your own as far as i know.....one is to grab a taxi from the port and take it directly there....if you negotiate hard i think you can land one for $15 or 20......the cheapest way to get there is to take a cab to west end and then catch the water taxi from there to west bay to tabayana beach.....cab from port to west end can be had for as low as $4 if you negotiate.......price for water taxi is $1.50 per person:)....

• 3 weeks later...
That's what we always do. Besides, I've gotten used to my own mask and fins and like the way that they fit.

We were at Roatan about 10 years ago and the above descriptions sound as though it hasn't changed a whole lot; we went to Tabayana as a ship excursion ( which did include lunch) and I still marvel at how wonderful the snorkling was and how close to the beach the reef is. It makes for a wonderfully laid back sort of day.

Bring an Underwater camera.....

Hi,
George will take you around to several beaches in Roatan for the entire day very cheap. He can pick you up at the docs when your boat arrives. He has a child that is in very bad condition at the hospital and I promised to help him find work so he can pay some doctor bills and that is why I have posted here. I have used George as a tour guide 4 times already and he will take you just about anywhere you want to go in Roatan for $18/person for the day or $50/Max for 4 people. He speaks perfect English and has a jeep that holds 4 people plus room for some diving gear. His wheels are almost brand new so it's a nice ride. I believe he posts on that new Roatan Forums board at [url="http://www.roatanforums.com/"]www.roatanforums.com[/url]. Check out the Roatan Cruise Ship Visitors section or the Roatan Scuba Diving or Roatan Transportation sections and make a post that you are looking for George. When he contacts you PLEASE tell him RICHARD told you about the $18 price with the $50 max for the day:) . I assume it is the same price because I used his services around 3 weeks ago.

Richard

drawoh(Richard): Thanks for the info about George. I am making a list of tourist things we might like to see/do in Roatan. I am thinking about hiring a driver for the day.
You must have felt comfortable hiring him the first time-did you get him by chance or another persons' recommendation? Do you have any other info that would be of help to me deciding?? Most everyone raves about Victor Bodden about his knowledge of the area, friendliness ,etc. Did George give you a bit of Roatan's history and its' flora&fauna?? Thanks for any other info you can give us at CC.

Archived