Visa Question

DP

I was advised by the Egyption Embassy that Visas can be obtained for $20 US at the port in Safaga and it is not necessary to obtain it while onboard. The same info was obtained for Istanbul, Turkey. However, Seabourn insists that we must obtain the required Visas while onboard for $70/pp for each port.

So for 4 Visas (2 per port) @ $20 at port terminal = $80/cabin versus

Seabourn requirement @ $140/cabin x 2 = $ 280/cabin

This just does not seem fair!!!

I have read on another thread that Seabourn does give you the choice of getting your own upon arrival but Head Office is not aware of this.

Has anyone had this experience? i.e. given the choice when onboard?

We were recently in Safaga as part of the Crystal World Cruise. The ship obtained the visas for all passengers and this was a requirements as the ship could not be cleared unless all passengers had a visa. So, getting it yourself after the ship docked was not an option.

The cost of our Visa for Egypt was $25.00 per person. My experience is that prices for visas such as these are normally the same or close to the same when obtained on board the ship by crulse lines such as Crystal and Seabourn so you might want to recheck the price you were given as it seems high. But again, I am sure it is not an option as the ship needs to be cleared and the only way to do that is for all passengers to obtain the visa on board.

Keith

Seabournnail said in your earlier thread regarding Turkish visa that she had managed to purchase her own in a another Turkish port of call prior to arriving in Istanbul and that Seabourn had given her back her passport to enable her to do this.

We will shortly be travelling Venice to Istanbul and are planning (all being well!)to purchase our own visa in the port of Fethiye or Kusadasi so that we have it for arrival in Istanbul at the end of our cruise.

Is it not possible for you to do this?

Sue

Seabournnail said in your earlier thread regarding Turkish visa that she had managed to purchase her own in a another Turkish port of call prior to arriving in Istanbul and that Seabourn had given her back her passport to enable her to do this.

We will shortly be travelling Venice to Istanbul and are planning (all being well!)to purchase our own visa in the port of Fethiye or Kusadasi so that we have it for arrival in Istanbul at the end of our cruise.

Is it not possible for you to do this?

Sue

yes it is possible :)

yes it is possible :)

Thank you for confirming again that it is possible to buy a Turkish visa in another Turkish port en route to Istanbul.

When I said "Is it not possible for you to do this?" I actually meant was it not possible for DP to do this?

We are certainly planning to do it!

For anyone else wondering about the purchase of a Turkish visa all the necessary information is in the thread started by DP entitled "Turkish Visa"

Thanks again everyone:) .

Sue

Thanks for your advice. I will not be arriving at a Turkish port prior to Istanbul. There must be someone who reads this board that has been sailed to a port in Egypt and Turkey and knows first hand if we are able to obtain our own visa at the port rather than using Seabourn's pricey service which I do not think is fair.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived