Fishing in Ketchikan or on the way to Denali?

lastminutecruiser1

In September which is the better place to fish? We are driving up to Denali before our cruise and we would really like to do some fishing. Should we stop somewhere on our way up to Denali or plan a fishing excursion at one of our ports? We are stopping in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau in early September.

In September which is the better place to fish? We are driving up to Denali before our cruise and we would really like to do some fishing. Should we stop somewhere on our way up to Denali or plan a fishing excursion at one of our ports? We are stopping in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau in early September.

My husband and I went fishing in Ketchikan and also then again in Juneau and it was the best part of our entire vacation. We are going again next year when we travle on the Radiance of the Seas to Alaska. We plan on staying a little longer after our cruise ends in the Seward area and onto Kenai just to fish again! Gosh it is so beautiful in Alaska and you really experience the affects of Alaska out on the waters being patient waiting for the fish to be biting!

CincinnatiGal:)

That partly depends on what kind of fish and fishing experience you are looking for, and when in September, as the first week or 2 is great for silver salmon, and then tapers off to nothing in the end. Rainbow fishing, however, is great in September. This is for from Anchorage to Denali. Someone else will have to answer for your cruise ports.

http://www.ifishalaska.com/salmon_run_timing.html

If you have a travel fly pole, you can get some great silver, rainbow, and grayling fishing in on your own as you drive from Anchorage to Denali. Just check the regulations first, but almost any water in the area has fish in it.

That partly depends on what kind of fish and fishing experience you are looking for, and when in September, as the first week or 2 is great for silver salmon, and then tapers off to nothing in the end. Rainbow fishing, however, is great in September. This is for from Anchorage to Denali. Someone else will have to answer for your cruise ports.

http://www.ifishalaska.com/salmon_run_timing.html

If you have a travel fly pole, you can get some great silver, rainbow, and grayling fishing in on your own as you drive from Anchorage to Denali. Just check the regulations first, but almost any water in the area has fish in it.

Also there are no fish processing facilities going towards Denali, where there are at Homer, Seward and Valdez. If you are going to Valdez, there are two companies that I have used and recommend, but if you book out of Fish Central then you get a break on the fish processing if you intend to keep it and send home.

I have fished Kings at Willow, but this was in July, and trout fish in the streams that parallel the Parks Highway, but I was with locals who knew where to go.

Janice

I live here in ketchikan Silver fishing should be great in sept.

another+big+coho.jpg

old+guys+sept+2007+04.jpg

hammer+in+the+north+land+time+002.jpg

old+guys+sept+2007+14.jpg

Here is my on line photo album

http://thefishicaught.com/gallery/main.php/v/IBGRIZZ/

We have fished 2 years in a row in Sept in Ketchikan. Both times were great fishing! Many silver salmon and last year we even got a King which shouldn't have been there! We used Northen Lights Charters last year and going again in 8 days:D Ken is really great at his job, and he even brings in Bald Eagles swooping down besides the boat to get food:eek: I didn't get a picture last year, but I'm going to this year!! Where ever you go, I hope you catch lots of fish!!

Happy cruising, Pam

Archived