Too early for whales?

robinpow

My original plan was to cruise in July, however work got in the way of fun. So I've had to move my cruise up to next week. Any one know if it's too early for whales? How about other wild life?

Thanks

My original plan was to cruise in July, however work got in the way of fun. So I've had to move my cruise up to next week. Any one know if it's too early for whales? How about other wild life?

Thanks

Our first Alaska cruise was at the end of May in 2001, we saw large numbers of humpback whales, seals, otters and bears (black & brown).

The whales are here! We had a huge pod of humpbacks here at Icy Strait for about a week now. I talked to someone who had been in Juneau last week and they had seen humpbacks and orcas. Now all we need is the salmon and halibut to get here! (that should be in the next 2 weeks) We've also been seeing bears on the beaches, but they are not in the creeks yet.

You will likely need to take a whale watching excursion to see whales as they are not always seen from the ship and if you do they are so far away you won't have much to photograph. Similalry with bears and other wildlife, you are not likely going to see any from the ship.

Just returned and saw more whales than we could have imagined. They were in abundance, both on our side trip and from the ship. One afternoon from the ship they were nonstop for about 2 hrs.

Marilyn

Archived