Snorkeling

shorjai

i have couple of questions regarding snorkeling with turtles.

1. Do we have to know how to SWIM while snorkeling (MOST important question)??

2. Can we wear Contact??

Thanks

Question #1: It would definately help. I've seen "raft" like things with clear windows that you could float on but it's not true snorkeling. I can't see how you could safely snorkel without knowing how to swim unless maybe you were in extremely shallow water.

Question #2: There is a good chance you could "flood your mask" and lose your contacts. I've snorkled plenty and not flooded my mask but it does happen and it's easy to clear. Sometimes I do it purposely just to clear the fog. I wear glasses and have a mask with a prescription lens. I also scuba dive so it was worth the cost.

Hope this helps.

1. Do we have to know how to SWIM while snorkeling (MOST important question)?? Not necessarily... ask for a life jacket.

2. Can we wear Contact?? Yes you can wear contacts... you shouldn't have a problem unless you get massive amounts of water in your eyes and they fall out... always take an extra pair with you just in case :)

Thanks

The life vests that they supply are inflateable, so blow it up all the way. There are usually one or two of the staff in the water with you and have those floaty things. I hope for you that's it's, you,ve never learned to swim as opposed to you're affraid of the water, because you don't want to miss this, http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562570049WbFoxR I took these in Barbados. If you are totally blind without your contacts, then bring a couple pair and take the chance.

The life vests that they supply are inflateable, so blow it up all the way. There are usually one or two of the staff in the water with you and have those floaty things. I hope for you that's it's, you,ve never learned to swim as opposed to you're affraid of the water, because you don't want to miss this, http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562570049WbFoxR I took these in Barbados. If you are totally blind without your contacts, then bring a couple pair and take the chance.

I haven't had any problem snorkeling in my contacts - I just always make sure I have a couple extra pairs with me in case of loss or if one tears. DH tore two on our last cruise (although not snorkeling) and ended up having to wear his glasses the rest of the week.

I would think it would be difficult to snorkel if you can't swim. The vests do make a huge difference, but not all operators have them. My first try at snorkeling was in Grand Cayman and they did not have vests. I am a strong swimmer but still couldn't get the hang of it. The next time I tried was in Cozumel and I used a vest - it made a huge difference that I could relax and learn how to breathe through the snorkel. You just have to get past the fear of sticking your head in the water and breathing.

The first time I went snorkeling I did not know how to swim. I wanted to be a good sport as my husband really wanted to go. I felt very nervous, and it was kind of comical as a couple little mexican boys swam along beside me and kept encouraging me and telling me I was "OK". This was in Cozumel, and obviously my terror was showing. After that I determined I would learn how to swim, and I enrolled in lessons. I am now a pretty decent swimmer and I must say that snorkeling is much more enjoyable now. So yes, it is possible, but definately not as enjoyable. As for the contacts, I always wear mine but they are disposable dailies. I would not dare to if they were anything else.

1. Do we have to know how to SWIM while snorkeling (MOST important question)??

2. Can we wear Contact??

Thanks

I snorkeled everyday for a week on my last cruise with my contacts (disposable) and never lost one.

Also, dw was not a strong swimmer and had absolutely no problem with the snorkeling vest they provide you. I would however always have a snorkel buddy...

Archived