Tipping...............

I see Thomson include general tips in the cruise price (though getting thoroughly fed up with the whole 'tipping' expectation of the holidaymaker, this suits me as I always end up over-tipping all over the place - my fault, I know :mad: ).

Anyone know why the bar tip is separated and added to your bar bill at the end of the cruise? Presumably so those who drink more, pay a bigger tip as opposed to all passengers just paying a small amount lumped in with the other tips in the price of the cruise? Assume the glass of plonk I might have with my dinner would go on the bar bill, in which case I've pre-tipped the waiter who brings it and will be expected to tip the barman as well on disembarkation! (Disembarkation - I'm even getting the hang of the cruise lingo, even started calling the cabin a 'stateroom' :) )

Don't want to sound mean but I decided after our last holiday that the tipping lark was getting out of hand and I'm going on strike. No more 'guilt trip' for me (until I get on board that is:rolleyes: ).

As I understand it all cabin stewards, waiters and bar staff are on very low wages (minimum wage does not apply) and they rely on tips. If they were paid a full wage the cost of the cruise would be more expensive. I believe they end up with more than they would earn in their own country and this is why they work on cruise ships.

As to why a service charge is added to the cost of each drink and not included in the cruise fare this is simply because buying a drink is an optional extra and the bar staff or wine waiter can expect a tip for the service provided. Why should a passenger who does not buy drinks or buys less have to pay for the tips of the drinkers in his or her fare?

Most passengers actually leave additional tips if the service of an individual has been exceptional. If you want exceptional friendly service tipping is essential or agree to pay considerably more for the cruise. If you keep tipping to a minimum or abolish it inferior staff will be employed and standards will fall. As virtually all reviews on Thomson cruises indicate the service provided is exceptional and friendly and I for one can vouch for this. I do not want this to change because of a few mean people.

I'm not sure about 'bar tips' being added to your account - at least not ones that are automatically added. We've just been on the Destiny with an AI - but you still have to sign the bar bill as though you will be paying for it and bar transactions are still itemised on your final account even though it records £0.00 charge.

These bar bills have a line in which you can add and sign for a gratuity if you wish. We didn't choose to - but tipped individually as we saw fit.

I don't remember on previous Thomson cruises there being a 'gratuities' option on bills - is this what's new? If so, it's certainly not mandatory - unlike some crise lines.

Tips are included on Thomson cruises so there is no need to tip anybody ....I think the staff are probably paid more than on other ships (which may explain why Thomson staff are more polite, happy and friendly than any other ship we've been on!) but I don't know.....We usually give our cabin boy/girl a little extra at the end of the cruise and if we have the same waiting staff each night then we tip them as well if they give good service (which they usually do!) We have always had excellent service from the Thomson crews and as we don't tip until we leave, it doesn't seem to make a difference whether you tip or not!

I think you're right, jennywren, about thomson paying better than some other cruiselines. We were talking to one of the musicians one evening and he mentioned a very well-known line he'd worked for and said they were 5* for passengers, but rubbish for staff. He was paid double the monthly salary by Thomson with everything found (except alcoholic drinks - but they were half price to him).

He was leaving at the end of his contract to take up another job with an orchestra for 6 months but wanted to get back onto Thomson when that came to an end. We were speculating that if that is typical of Thomson, then it may explain why people think highly of their entertainment - the best artists will go to Thomson for better pay/conditions. It's surprising how often you see posts saying Thomson entertainment is much better than some of the 'big' ships. Perhaps we have the answer. The staff are happier!

And as you point out, that goes for the rest of the crew too. I hope we're right as we're big fans of Thomson and think we get good value for money - but hope this isn't at the expense of the crew.

Silly me - I see in the brochure it says "tips to cruise ship crew" is fully included in the cruise cost. Not sure now where I got the idea that this pre-tipping arrangement didn't include bar staff with theirs added on as a % of our final bar bill! No wonder it seemed weird - I made it up!!!

We usually tip in Euros as in the Western Med/Canaries, at least, it can be used in the majority of the countries visited. I think we also tipped in Euros on the Baltic itinerary as it was the only currency we took with us. (We were able to use Euros in all the countries visited there too except for a bookshop in Russia). Don't know what to suggest if you're doing the Black Sea though (but I'd like to know what currencies anyone has taken there as I'm quite interested in doing this one).

Glad you mentioned the Black Sea as we are going next month on Calypso and had not given the currency a thought!!! so must do some research...we always tip in Euros when we are in Europe as there will always be somewhere they can change it if they want to.

Ohhhhhh! Please write a review when you get back - I'd love to know what you think of the Calypso and the destinations. The last two trips we've done, we met people who were waxing lyrical about the Black Sea, but they hadn't been with Thomson so I think the itinerary wasn't the same.

Let us know too how you solved the currency situation - what you took and what is the most acceptable at the various destinations. And could you get away with Euros here too?

I'll definitely write a review when we come back (end of June)....need to do a bit of research about the currency as although Romania and Bulgaria are in the EU they haven't adopted the Euro yet! but Turkey has not yet joined the Eu and they readily accepted the Euro when we were last there so we may be OK just taking Euros and using an ATM if we want some local currency. We have a Nationwide card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions....When we were in Croatia they accepted Euros but gave change in the local currency so that may be the situation on the Black Sea but I'll let you know what I find out.

Jennywren - were Euro's accepted absolutely everywhere you wanted to shop in Turkey, bazaars etc? We have a full day and a half there so thought we might have to get some local money if we weren't in a 'proper' shop.

We went to Kusadasi and Marmaris/Ichmeler and I think we just did shops in Kusadasi and Coffee and cake in Ichmeler if I remember rightly, and we only used euros. I'm sure in Kusadasi all the prices outside the shops were in Euros. Most of their business is from tourists so perhaps they realise that they will sell more if they deal in euros. Not sure about more out of the way places though.

Hi there

We did the Black Sea Cruise on the Calypso last year and it was fabulous.

Currency is not a problem as they have a lady who comes on the ship with the correct currency for the particular country you are visiting and you can change your euros or pounds with her in the morning before you leave the ship.

I think the main highlight for us was the trip to Gallipoli and also Istanbul for the Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Janet

Welcome - nice to get your first post and thanks for the info about the Black Sea which I'm sure lots of us will find helpful.

Have you sailed on any other Thomson ships and if so, how does the Calypso compare? Or with other cruise lines? I just wonder whether, being smaller than the others, if anything suffers as a result - perhaps the entertainment?

Hi there

Have been on all the Thomson ships apart from the Celebration. I must admit I was not as keen on the Calypso as much as the others as the pool is very small and right in the middle of the outside tables at the front of the ship. Also they have the daytime quizzes etc inside. I prefer them up on deck when you have the days at sea, or you get back early from a trip. That way you get more people involved and it's more of a laugh.

The entertainment is probably as good as the others, although they have more adult intellectual stuff going on, like seminars etc.

We are going on the Destiny again in June and have already booked for 2 weeks in the Carribean for March next year, also on the Destiny. The cruise in June will be our 6th one.:)

Anything else you want to know just ask.

Haven't been on any other cruise lines as we like Thomson and have never been disappointed yet.

Janet

Thanks for that, Janet. We've been on Celebration, Spirit and Destiny and like you, love Thomson. We've not done any other cruise lines although we've just booked for an NCL at the end of June simply because it was a bargain price and a local departure for us. I'm not sure how I'll like it though as we just love the friendly, homely feel on Thomson ships. I've a feeling I'll be looking at Thomson again when I get back!

I'm keen to do the Adriatic/Greek Islands but don't know whether to wait until next year when the Celebration is doing that area. If so, it will probably be the Black Sea later this year. If we book, I'll no doubt be asking for info/help on the various destinations - so watch this space!

Archived