San Juan pier to airport

ParrotHead4Life

We're booked on the Jan 10 S. Caribbean sailing on Summit. According to the itinerary, we're back in Puerto Rico at 7:00 AM. Our departing flight options are 10:00 AM or 3:30 PM.

We've done early flights when returning to Ft. Lauderdale, but this will be our first time in PR, other than a port day. Is 10:00 cutting it too close?

Thanks,

Tom

On my April 2008 Galaxy sailing, I was still waiting in the lounge at 9:15 a.m. waiting to be called to disembark. My flight was scheduled to leave at 12:44 p.m. and by the time I got to the airport, checked in, got through security, etc., I had about 1/2 hour to wait before boarding the plane.

Good luck with the 10:00 a.m. departure!:D

Liz

Check the time your ship gets in to port. Many times, the ship is scheduled back at 7-8am. For some reason, ours was 5 am, and the ship was there before that time.

However, it took forever in SJ for customs to clear the ship. We had a 10am flight and had no issues at all. However, I believe we were off the ship by 8am, and we were one of the first ones off.

BTW--as others have suggested, check the X site. When I registered on line, I put in 9:50am as a departure time, and the site came back with a notice that said X did not recommend departures before 10am. In our case, they were absolutely right.

I wouldn't chance it. We are booked on the Summit 01/17 and I have already locked in my flights but by booking this far out I will have at least one if not two Flight time changes in the next 8 months. My flight out of SJU is around 1230 so I have alot of room for time changes but yours may change to an earlier time even by 20-30 minutes, then your really pushing it. You may not be able to change to a later flight by then and be stuck with an even worse flight time.

Bottom line is your on vacation. I don't think the added stress of the "unknown" is worth saving a few extra hours in the SJU airport. You could even take one of the ship tours that takes your bags and gets you to the airport for a late afternoon flight.

10am is too early. We just got back from Serenade of the Seas, had priority debarkation that went smoothly and got to the airport between 9 and 9:30am. After that we stood in the Continental line for 30-40 minutes. Yes, the wait until 2 or 3 was long, but it was much shorter than looking for a new flight because we would have missed the earlier one.

10AM is really, really pushing it.

Best case you're off the ship by 8AM. Clear customs, get your bags, get to the airport, etc.... you might make it if everything goes right. But I wouldn't do it. Too many factors not under your control can go wrong.

3:30PM gives you lots of time and the option of touring in San Juan.

Dwjoe is correct. 10am gives you no room for error. Often once your off the ship the Pan-Am pier is crazy with everyone waiting for cabs, buses etc. Then check in and security can be insane with over 2000 people trying to check bags. I am curious which airline has the shortest lines in San Juan...because we were always in a long line. Save yourself the heartburn and book later... but get to the airport as early as possible.

YES 10am is cutting it wicked close take the 3:30pm. They have you meet in a special room or theater on the day you return home, and your number doesn't always get called right away. Customs takes awhile and you need your passport to get through customs. Sometimes it can take 2 hours and your number may be called last. Better to be safe and take the 3:30pm flight than be sorry and miss the 10am flight.

Archived