Anne Frank House Amsterdam

anley

We will be in Amsterdam on Sunday May 18. Is it feasible to walk there from the ship terminal? How long would it take at a brisk pace?

Thanks Stan

It's doable by foot, but would take 45 minutes or so.

You're much better off taking the trolley. There is a stop just across the street from the cruise terminal. Take the #25 tram (or walk along the IJ, the main canal in which the ship is docked) to Central Station. Then hop on the #13 or #17 tram to Westermark (there are lots of places around Central Station to ask for help, including a tourism office - people are very friendly and speak good English).

From Westermark, the Anne Frank House is a couple of blocks north on Prinsengracht. Depending on the time of day, there may be a long line at the Anne Frank House.

If you do decide to walk, you would pretty much go along the IJ to Central Station and then turn southwest on Damrak towards Dam Square and then turn west on Raadhuisstraat to Westermark. On this route you will see may parts of Amsterdam, including the royal palace, the New Church and the West Church. If you are a bit more adventurous, you could take a detour through the Red Light District....

If you are in town all day (I'm assuming you are on the Constellation) then you could also go to Central Station and get on a hop-on-hop-off canal boat. One of the stops will be just in front of the Anne Frank House. The canal boats all leave from spots in front of Central Station.

We will be in Amsterdam on Sunday May 18. Is it feasible to walk there from the ship terminal? How long would it take at a brisk pace?

Thanks Stan

Like I replied on the Europe-board, yes it is walkable.

It will take about 30 minutes (or more) from the cruise-terminal.

Or take tramnr. 25 next to the terminal, or 26 opposite the terminal to Centraal Station, 1-2 stops.

Change there to tramnr 13 or 17 and get off at Westermarkt., about 3 stops. From there it is 2-3 minutes walk.

(Inside trams you will find maps telling the stops.)

If you use tram only for these rides, you can pay inside the trams. (So have Euros ready, pref. small change).

If you can, make on-line reservations for the house, to skip the sometimes long lines.

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=1&setlanguage=2

Good advice about the reservations. One thing to keep in mind is that the Anne Frank House will have very long lines in the mornings, but most late afternoons you can walk up and go right in.

Ine, we will be in Amsterdam in three weeks. We are taking our 6th grader for her first ever trip to your beautiful country. We are looking forward to seeing friends and having some wonderful pancakes at the Pancake Bakery (which by the way, is just a couple of blocks down the Herengracht from the Anne Frank House and is one of our favorite places to eat in Amsterdam.)

We are looking forward to seeing friends and having some wonderful pancakes at the Pancake Bakery (which by the way, is just a couple of blocks down the Herengracht from the Anne Frank House and is one of our favorite places to eat in Amsterdam.)

Pancake Bakery, "been there done that" many times. Your making me want to go back for some Poffertjes right now.

Good advice about the reservations. One thing to keep in mind is that the Anne Frank House will have very long lines in the mornings, but most late afternoons you can walk up and go right in.

Ine, we will be in Amsterdam in three weeks. We are taking our 6th grader for her first ever trip to your beautiful country. We are looking forward to seeing friends and having some wonderful pancakes at the Pancake Bakery (which by the way, is just a couple of blocks down the Herengracht from the Anne Frank House and is one of our favorite places to eat in Amsterdam.)

If yort kid likes it, take her to Artis, a nice Zoo in Amsterdam.

Also a visit to Madurodam (miniature NL) in The Hague is very interesting. This maybe in combination with e.g. Scheveningen, the seaside resort in The Hague.

If you havenot been there - Zaanse Schans - windmills, clogs and cheese, just 15 trainminutes from Amsterdam.

I am sure there is enough to do. Hopefully the weather will be nice too.

We were just in Amsterdam last month on the Jewel of the Seas transatlantic. We bought our Anne Frank House tickets online and chose an afternoon time (2:30pm). We got there an hour early and the line snaked around the block for those without tickets. We went to the other door with our tickets and they allowed us to come right in even though we were early. It was a moving experience not to be missed. Our taxi driver from the port to our lovely hotel (by the airport) recommended a wonderful place for those pancakes (crepes) called Mister Pancake (Mineer Panekakken or something like that). It is fairly close to Anne Frank as you should walk by it on the way there. It has red and white striped awnings. Besides the pancakes, they had wonderful french onion soup. They also had a non-smoking section. Wish I could go back!:)

Ine, thanks for the tips. My wife and I have been to Amsterdam many times, but our daughter has not been. You have mentioned a couple of the places that we are thinking of going. We are also thinking about Delft, since we have never been there. We will be visiting in Enschede with some friends and are thinking about Het Loo Palace. (We have visited there but think our daughter would really like the grounds.)

Ine, thanks for the tips. My wife and I have been to Amsterdam many times, but our daughter has not been. You have mentioned a couple of the places that we are thinking of going. We are also thinking about Delft, since we have never been there. We will be visiting in Enschede with some friends and are thinking about Het Loo Palace. (We have visited there but think our daughter would really like the grounds.)

I like Delft very much, nice old city and very walkable. In the big old church on Marktplein, dutch royals are buried. Of course Delft is known for the pottery, as in: http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?

You can make a tour and see how it is made and shop of course.

(In a corner you often find some nice seconds.)

Near Apeldoorn (Het Loo) there also is a nice Monkey Zoo called Apenheul.

http://www.apenheul.com/

Under Menu you will find english translations.

Should get to Rotterdam, there is a nice boattour through the harbor - http://www.spido.nl/default-menu.aspx?TaalID=2

We went to visit Anne Frank's house last year. I was able to reserve tickets for 4 of us online at the Anne Frank website. We went in the morning and we were able to pass all the lines and walk in a side door. You pick a preassigned time. It was a very moving experience

One more thing, maybe your kid likes to visit Madam Tussaud, right on Dam suqare.

http://www.madametussauds.nl/english/index.html

Ine, thank you very much for the suggestions. We have walked past the wax museum many times, but have never been in. One of our friends has also suggested the Children's Museum (Nemo, I believe) and I think that we will visit there as well.

One of our friends (who has visited with us here in Texas) does walking tours in Amsterdam. He and our daughter are good friends and he has offered to give her a walking tour of many of the places in Amsterdam. She is really looking forward to that.

Ine, thank you very much for the suggestions. We have walked past the wax museum many times, but have never been in. One of our friends has also suggested the Children's Museum (Nemo, I believe) and I think that we will visit there as well.

One of our friends (who has visited with us here in Texas) does walking tours in Amsterdam. He and our daughter are good friends and he has offered to give her a walking tour of many of the places in Amsterdam. She is really looking forward to that.

In that case I am sure you will have great time.

Hopefully the weather will be nice too.

Enjoy your stay!

Tram fare is 1.50 Euro each. Your ticket allows a transfer. They run quite often, and are easy to use.

Anne Frank house is being fixed, at least the exterior. We were there last week(in the area) about noon, and the line didn't appear to be too long.

We had a nice light sandwich and beer at a small cafe across the canal from the house.

Tram fare is 1.50 Euro each. Your ticket allows a transfer. They run quite often, and are easy to use.

Anne Frank house is being fixed, at least the exterior. We were there last week(in the area) about noon, and the line didn't appear to be too long.

We had a nice light sandwich and beer at a small cafe across the canal from the house.

Tramfare is E. 2.10 each if you by single rides inside the tram or bus. This fare is good for shorter distances. For the stretch Centraal Station to Museumplein you have to pay more.

Inside the tram you can buy a daycard for E.6.40 per person

Other possibilities check: (Stripcard which can be used by more persons)

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/tickets-and-fares/Pages/strip-ticket.aspx

Advanced stripcard for sale in http://www.gvb.nl/ENGLISH/TRAVELLERS/TICKETS-AND-FARES/Pages/Ticketsandfares.aspx

Archived