Summer caribbean weather

Just wondering about the caribbean weather in August. Doing the western and wondering about rough seas. What is everyone's experience with summertime caribbean cruising? We cruised the eastern in Feb and had a couple rough days and I am not sure what to expect during the summer. I can take the humidity, and the heat no problem just wondering if it is normally "stormy" at sea during the summer. Thanks

Just wondering about the caribbean weather in August. Doing the western and wondering about rough seas. What is everyone's experience with summertime caribbean cruising? We cruised the eastern in Feb and had a couple rough days and I am not sure what to expect during the summer. I can take the humidity, and the heat no problem just wondering if it is normally "stormy" at sea during the summer. Thanks

We had perfect weather June 24 th cruise last year... couldn't even tell we were on a ship !;) here's hoping for our cruise June1.;)

We did a Western Caribbean cruise in August and it was very hot and humid. It was okay in the evening and on the ship interiors but shore excursions were very hot. We did the Tulum tour which was really hot! If you stick with the beaches you will be fine. Have a great time and don't worry about the weather--it is hot and humid here too in August!

The summer months are extremely hot and humid which leads to frequent thunder storms. The sea can be unsettled during the summer time.

There is no way to predict it. If there are storms nearby or hurricanes in the area, the sea will be affected. I've sailed in mirror-quiet water and 20 foot seas. You can't second-guess Mother Nature, fer sure.

We generally cruise at the end of August and early September. We have sailed during two hurricanes (Gaston and Ernesto). The seas were rough as would be expected. We have also sailed these same weeks with perfect weather.

I like it hot when I am on vacation so this may not be good advice. The heat was deceptive to me because of the island breezes. Twice I was burnt pretty bad (while using and reapplying SPF-40) because I just didn't realize I was cooking. I know that sounds stupid but the breezes just made it feel comfortable to me even though I was fully aware of the sun.

Caribbean temperatures don't vary all that much from summer to winter. What varies is the humidity level and it gets extremely humid. We LOVE the Caribbean in the summer and have cruised there many, many times. It is very sad for us that HAL pulls all their ships out of the Caribbean every mid April and does not return until mid October. A full six months of the year, we can't cruise there. (We only cruise HAL.)

We miss those summer cruises.

(Remember,,,,, if a hurricane is present, ships move. Captain will take the ship out of danger and if changing ports is necessary, that is what will happen. But that is the case always.......not just summer sailing.)

My first cruise was in August, and we had the calmest seas, and the most amazing weather. My second cruise, which was last May, we had horrendous weather...storms, rough seas, rocking ship, etc. Then there are some people who have had the exact opposite experience than I did, so it's completely a wait and see thing.

August is approaching the peak of hurricane season. So it is a question of how do you want to play the odds. The majority of hurricanes crank up in September but late August can also be quite frisky, especially with strong low pressure systems. That said, you're on a big ship, plenty of alternative to go to if a storm is in your path, and always remember to, "KEEP YOUR LIFE PRESERVER HANDY."

You will be sailing in very hot, humid weather. You will probably have an afternoon thunderstorm most days, but they really help to cool things off. The later in August you go the better the chance of tropical weather. We live in Florida and August is probably the hottest month of the year. However, we had a beautiful August a few years ago. (Oh yeah, then Hurricane Ivan came in September. Maybe I'll live with the heat!) I wouldn't worry about the seas. They are unpredictable any time of year. I cannot believe you are from Canada and the hot weather doesn't bother you. Most northerners can't take it.;)

Archived