Amtrak in Seattle

Coming into Seattle one day before our cruise that departs from Vancouver. Staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown and taking the Amtrak to Vancouver the following morning. Train takes off at 7:40 a.m.. I need to figure out what to do for breakfast but not sure how early you should be at the Amtrak station. We already have our tickets. Any help would be appreciated.

Been there done that. Breakfast was easy at the Crowne. If you have your tickets you need not be there too early. Check your bags and line up. If you are not business class there will be a bit of a line.

TAxi takes all of 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if I needed to do room service or not. Was hoping there was a nice coffee shop near the train station open early. Want to take advantage of Seattle's coffee while there. :D

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if I needed to do room service or not. Was hoping there was a nice coffee shop near the train station open early. Want to take advantage of Seattle's coffee while there. :D

there is nothing near the station....you want to be there early to check bags...they WEIGH them...if it is an ounce over 50 LBS you willhave to rearrange things! there is nothing IN the station either, except vending machines.

we got there just before the staiton opened at 6 AM and there were about 10 people there. it isn't the best area early in the AM/late at night.

BTW...Seattes Best Coffee is owned by starbucks! I like Tullys the best, or cafe appasionata (sp) or even juan valdez over by westlake center.

A few years ago, we took the Talgo Train from Seattle to Vancouver, at about the same time (7 a.m. ish) and had a very nice breakfast on the train! Check it out, it might be a lot easier than rushing around looking for something near the Amtrak sttaion.

• 2 weeks later...

If you were traveling on a weekday, I'd suggest a coffee shop on the corner of 3rd & Jackson called Zeigeist Coffee, it's a good place if you're opposed to going to a chain coffee shop. It's just a block or two up the street--drop your bags at the station and then go back out the door--walk to the 4-way stop, then turn right, go up one block, and it should be on the corner on the left side of the street. They have a rotating art show there. If you're not going on a weekday, there's a Tully's on the opposite corner from Zeitgeist that I think would be open earlier but I can't guarantee that. Otherwise there aren't a lot of options by the train station.

Here's how the Cascades train to Vancouver works: when you get to the station, you check your bags at the counter, then you get in line to get a seating assignment and board the train. For some reason people line up for a long time before they've announced they're ready to board the train, I guess people are worried they won't get seats together? I've never had a problem getting a seat with someone else, so I'd recommend just sitting down and waiting until they announce they're boarding, or at least until the guy goes to the kiosk where they hand out the seat assignments.

King Street Station is being renovated but it's still fairly dumpy. I think there are some vending machines but otherwise there is nothing to eat or drink there. The station in Vancouver has a lot more facilities--there's a gift shop and a newsstand that sells snacks and a McDonald's. And a currency exchange.

Archived