What do you think about surveillance cameras onboard ships?

What's your opinion about the use of surveillance cameras onboard cruise ships?  

613 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion about the use of surveillance cameras onboard cruise ships?

• It creeps me out a little, but I understand the need
    • It is absolutely necessary in this day and age
    • It's fine, as long as I have complete privacy in my cabin
    • I've come to terms with the fact that Big Brother is everywhere!
    • I don't like the idea one bit
    • Something else, which I’ll post

I think it's great as long as the Cams are not in your cabins and bathrooms. I think that when you are boarding or during the Muster drills they should advise people that that they have Cams around the ship for our safety.

When my son was only two and we were interviewing for a nanny we installed nanny Cams, it was still pretty new then. I let everyone know that we had installed them all over the house not in their bedroom or bathrooms of course. Think of it this way I did not want something to happen and then say youre busted or gotcha! I wanted to prevent something intentional or foolish from happening.

I also am happy to have cameras on board. If the time ever comes that I may be the victim in an "incident", I'd like to know that security cameras have captured the event to find the culprit.

I have heard stories of things being stolen on a ship and the culprits were found thanks to surveillance cameras. (A wheelchair was one memorable post ).

In today's litigious society, I also think the cruise lines need to protect themselves in the event of a problem. It seems that we are hearing more and more of people falling off ships (with alcohol usually involved, too) and in the case of the NCL Dawn incident, the cameras seemed to be able to rule out the boyfriend being in the cabin with the woman who fell.

I think having security cameras throughout cruise ships, except for restrooms and cabins, is a necessity. It provides for greater safety and can prove or disprove an event took place. Video doesn't lie.

I think if more people realized this security measure was in place it could serve as a deterrent in certain situations. Of the security measures I know about onboard, I feel safer. I'm sure there are many more procedures in place we DON'T know about that are very effective as well.

Sorry to say that in this day and age video taping of the vital areas of the ship are necessary. A vast majority of passengers are on board to have a good time, enjoy the company of others and see places they have thought about for years. But we need protection from the small amount of people who have other reasons to be on board.

Safety first.

You can video tape me anywhere they wish except in my cabin, I think that is a private area where no taping of any sort can be allowed.

Unfortunately, in this day and age they are a necessity. I feel much more secure knowing there are security cameras on board. As long as they are not in my stateroom.

We have cruised over 20 times and I think most of the highly publicised events that have occurred have been the direct result of too much alcohol and behaving like they were on a Disney ride instead of a on ship in the middle of a very vast ocean.

There has got to be some personal responsibility for the behavior of these people.

My heart goes out to their families but some passengers don't leave their problems and their penchant for making bad decisions on shore. You have to have some common sense and show some moderation in your alcohol consumption.

I think they are a good idea, protecting both cruisers and the cruise line. Let's keep them as hidden as possible, though. I don't want to be reminded that I'm being watched when I'm taking a cruise to de-stress.

Of course everyone expects complete privacy in their cabins!:D

Unfortunately, in this day and age they are a necessity. I feel much more secure knowing there are security cameras on board. As long as they are not in my stateroom.

We have cruised over 20 times and I think most of the highly publicised events that have occurred have been the direct result of too much alcohol and behaving like they were on a Disney ride instead of a on ship in the middle of a very vast ocean.

There has got to be some personal responsibility for the behavior of these people.

My heart goes out to their families but some passengers don't leave their problems and their penchant for making bad decisions on shore. You have to have some common sense and show some moderation in your alcohol consumption.

Unfortunately, some boneheaded people have been injured or killed by doing stupid stuff on Disney rides.

Since I design them for a living, I love them. It is certainly a growing business these days.

I just always assume I am being recorded, where ever I am.

I believe they protect the innocent as much as they help find the guilty.

I work for a federal agency which has cameras everywhere in the office areas. At first it seems intimidating but after a while you forget about it.

While the fact about the cameras is not hidden, you would be suprised at how many persons are still caught performing illegal acts. I think for the most part people become immune to the fact of surviellence. It is everywhere.

I am glad for the cameras as long as its use in not abused.

Only question I have: Is a constantly monitored surviellence??

If so, it could prevent or avail cruise security to stop an immediate threat or danger.

Its fine to have cameras everywhere where is it possible with the exception of the cabins.

I just came off a cruise on the Norwegian Spirit, we were on the 9th floor in a forward cabin, we could clearly see the side of the bridge from our balcony, there was a security camera hanging from the bridge, so I suspect they could see many balconys.

My first experience with cameras on a cruise ship was on NCLA's Pride of Hawaii (now the Norwegian Jade) in 2007. At first I felt a bit uncomfortable with them, but midway through the cruise I thought it was nice having them around, especially in the long, sometimes deserted stateroom hallways.

On Carnival's Liberty this year, I thought it was strange not having cameras present in public areas. I think if they had had cameras in the elevators people wouldn't have gotten away with writing on the mirrored finish of the elevator doors.

So, my vote on the poll was that I'm fine with the use of cameras as long as there is complete privacy in the cabins. But, I would also include that I'd expect complete privacy in certain parts of spas and in all restrooms.

First, I'm glas to see that no one has yet to have a negative reaction to the cameras. I feel that you are on their ship, they can put cameras just about anywhere they want. The only right to privacy should be in your cabin or in the restrooms.

On that note.......I hope that will delete the footage from the elevator from my last cruise:o. Hey.......it was late.....we were alone.....just some smooching, but it will make me think twice next time

Many cities use cameras to monitor public places. They are helpful for both law enforcement and the public. I don't mind (and would welcome) cameras in pretty much any public space on the ships. Not in the cabins; not in the public restrooms (not even the sink area, although a camera in the passageway by the door into the restroom itself should be a must); not in the spa areas where pax are likely to be naked, such as massage rooms or saunas; not on the cabin balconies (that is still part of my private space; they're advertised as private and need to be treated that way). I think that there should not be cameras in any place where someone is liable to feel vulnerable/embarrassed or where it's an invasion of intimacy. We should not surrender our right to feel secure in places where we normally expect privacy. Other than that, why not have cameras? They have proven particularly helpful in this most recent incident. (I was among those urging that we wait for actual facts before trying, convicting, and hanging the boyfriend. Others decided that because the mother accused him, he must be guilty of killing his girlfriend.) Definitely a plus to have cameras that monitor the ship's exterior (as long as they are not directed into the balconies themselves).

beachchick

p.s. to e150club: Pictures don't lie, but people do, and people can make pictures lie. With the easy to use photo/video manipulation software available today, I rarely trust someone else's photos. However, I think it's safe to assume that cruise lines aren't likely to selectively edit or change security footage.

With every place you have listed, it sounds like the whole ship is off limits. especially where you say about any place where you can be intimate, people kiss and feel today anywhere they want.

I think the only places that they shoud not be allowed is the cabins, and the private stalls of the womens restroom. The outside balconys should have them as long as they do not look into the cabins but the length of the ship just in cose of an accident, and they do happen. My concern is with the huge amount of cameras they are going to need they are going to have more then just a few to watch them. Like one poster said that one of the cruise ship has over 2000 cameras going all at one time, it would take at least a couple of hundred people just to monitor those.

I personally will feel safer on the ship knowing that there are cameras, but I do wonder if it has caused a reduction in crimes from the crew. I had a friend that cruised a few years ago and was raped by a crew member and they made her feel like it was her fault, this happened in a womens restroom at night. I have also had friends tell me that they have had items stollen from their cabins, so that is why I am asking if it has had affect in the crew's behavior. The cruise line was very cold to her, but once she got an attorney, they gave her all of her money back and also three free cruises in the penthouse suites. Her attorney found out that this same guy had done it to 8 other women, but the cruise line would never do anything to him.

Personally I am comfortable with the cameras. They not only save you from greif if you are in the right, they also can point to the guilty party, who in most cases go free without them.

In the public areas of a ship, I have no expectation of privacy, and am grateful that there are cameras around to promote good behavior. On my recent Carnival Miracle cruise, the cameras on the deck areas were quite obvious, and I'm sure there were some that were more discreet. While out jogging in the morning I witnessed passengers place towels and other things on chaises at 7 a.m. to reserve them - I wish the security officers would monitor the cameras and remove these items after 45 mins or an hour. I observed that one of these reservations was taken up at 9.30 a.m. (which meant that they didn't really need to make the effort because there were still a reasonable number of chaises at that hour) whilst another remained unclaimed until DH and I left the pool area at 2.30 p.m.

I agree 100% with those that say no one has a right to privacy in a public place. I am ok with cameras and hope my next cruise has a zillion of them. The cameras don't necessarily stop someone from acting stupid, but if something happens to me that is criminal in nature (or in the case of this unfortunate woman's boyfriend, can protect me from criminal accusations), I want all the proof I can to protect me. I say, bring 'em on!!!

Like SLOTADDICT when we were on our Dawn forward balcony in April, we could see a camera up near the bridge monitoring the side of the ship. As soon as I heard of the woman going overboard I knew the camera caught it!!!!!!!!!

I am fine with cameras in any public area of a ship. You never know what can happen in the hallways, elevators or other areas. Cameras tell the story and give a level of comfort.

As long as there is complete privacy in the cabin I think there should be cameras not only for my protection, but for the cruise lines protection..case in point if not for surveillance cameras the boyfriend of the lady who fell might have been charge with her death..and perhaps spend the rest of his life in jail..so I vote yes..

I am perfectly comfortable with security cameras in PUBLIC places. If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear. Several years ago on a HAL ship, some teen-agers tossed the expensive wood deck chairs overboard. If caught on security cameras, the price of the chairs could have been added to their cabin's shipboard account, and rightfully so. Those cameras are one way to hold unruly passengers accountable. I applaud that.

The cruiselines have no choice, they have to protect themselves and their passengers the best they can any way that they can. I have absolutely no problem with it as long as it in not in the passenger cabins and bathrooms and some spa locations. These are places where we all have a right to expect and receive privacy. Everywhere else on the ship is considered a public area and I hope they do have cameras - lot of them! My DH and I laugh as some of the 'things' the drunks do in the hallways and elevators thinking they are 'private'.

The fact is that the cameras make me feel safer in the long run, I am glad that they are there, they can have as many as they want. I do not have any intention of doing anything wrong so being 'on camera' is AOK.

Archived