Price of Gas in Oz ??

Hi - Just wondering what gasoline prices are in Australia.

Right now, here in Victoria, Canada, we are paying $1.33 per litre.

Almost time to sell the SUV and get a Smart Car. Have the Smart Cars reached Oz yet?? We have had them in Canada for a few years, but they are just starting to sell them in the States.

Thanks.

Almost time to sell the SUV and get a Smart Car. Have the Smart Cars reached Oz yet?? We have had them in Canada for a few years, but they are just starting to sell them in the States.

Thanks.

Sydney fuel prices are similar to Canada. Expect up to $A 1.50 by weekend. Mondays to Wednesday price drops 10 cents.

Thanks.

Smart Cars are a bit of a novelty in Australia, although you do see them occasionally on the road. I can't imagine them catching on in Canada either, except maybe in Montreal or Quebec City;) .

There are many better, cheaper small cars available here. There seem to be plenty of Toyota Prius' on the road, even though they cost as much as a large sedan.

The popular trend at the moment is for diesel powered small cars, which offer remarkable fuel economy.

Steve.

Fuel prices continue to rise and even with a Qld State Govt Subsidy they are pushing A$1.50 in Brisbane

What really gets me however is the price of diesel. It is cheaper to refine and yet costs between 5c-10c per litre more than petrol !

Last November I bought a new Coy Car and to do the right thing a got a new Ford Mondeo with a 2L Turbo Diesel engine. It is a great car and whilst pushing out some 320Nm of torque it consumes less than 7 litres per 100klm. Should be saving heaps, but the higher cost of diesel just about cruels those savings. :mad:

Last November I bought a new Coy Car and to do the right thing a got a new Ford Mondeo with a 2L Turbo Diesel engine. It is a great car and whilst pushing out some 320Nm of torque it consumes less than 7 litres per 100klm. Should be saving heaps, but the higher cost of diesel just about cruels those savings. :mad:

The diesel Mondeo certainly gets great reviews.

My 3.5 litre petrol Mitsubishi has only 300nm and gets about 14 litres/100 km around town. Ouch!

I certainly agree with you about the price of diesel, though.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

one of our major supermarkets have a good special, if you buy 6 bottles of wine you get 10% off the price of the wine plus a voucher for 20cents off each litre of petrol.

They have always done the 4 cents off when you buy groceries but i have never used the vouchers as i hate to queue for half an hour for petrol to save $1.50 but 20 cents off is worth shopping around for.

Have to go and buy more wine i think.......

one of our major supermarkets have a good special, if you buy 6 bottles of wine you get 10% off the price of the wine plus a voucher for 20cents off each litre of petrol.

They have always done the 4 cents off when you buy groceries but i have never used the vouchers as i hate to queue for half an hour for petrol to save $1.50 but 20 cents off is worth shopping around for.

Have to go and buy more wine i think.......

Here in NSW if you shop at the IGA supermarket you can do the opposite.... you TAKE in your fuel docket and they give you 4 cents per litre off your grocery bill. It works for us as the nearest coles/woolies petrol station is three hours away, so this means that we too can get discounted petrol - but we can shop for the best place and then take it in. Much easier too... :cool:

Sorry to say, petrol is expensive here so be prepared! $1.69 at the moment and still going up. Who knows what it wil be when you guys get here:o

At today's exchange rate that is just a little over 6 US Dollars a gallon!!!!

Yes I know it's cheaper here in Aus but we have to drive so much further to get to anywhere.:( You guys are so lucky that you can go from one city to another in no time. I also noticed when we were in your country last year that you do have a good public system which is quite economical and seemed to run on time.:) Our bus and rail system is a joke. You cannot depend on it that's for sure. Most Aussie families have 2 vehicles also. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $1.669 in Mossman and $1.589 last week in the Palm Cove/Clifton Beach area. I saw postings today in Melbourne in the $1.60 to $1.68 range for unleaded gas/petrol and upwards of $1.83 a litre for diesel. That is roughly $6.30 to $6.60 for a gallon (4 litres). The key is to rent a smaller car that gets good mileage. We put over 600 km on our rental and I used less than one tank - only about 70 litres all together for the week.

If you think fuel is expensive, buy a case of beer or Coke!

Archived