Whatever happen to Britrail passes

What ever happened to the BritRail Passes? I remember a few years ago (okay 10) there was this pass you could only buy in the US. It covered the tube, light rail, busses and train service to areas oustide of London. We took it to Windsor, Cambridge and Bath for several of our day trips.

Does this still exist? or does everyone hop on the travel card/oyster card route.

I am so confused with my day trips outside of London. I keep hearing that my ticket to Oxford will be $50 ~ 75. Plus I want to use this for SouthHampton as well.

AND what is with all these different train lines? Virgin, Mega, national -- Does it matter?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

the Britrail website still exists and still sells passes of a variety of flavors. They seem to still be targeting overseas buyers. However, I have not used it and don't endorse it. But it's there. You may be able to find better stuff at other sites since so much has changed in the last 10 years.

the Britrail website still exists and still sells passes of a variety of flavors. They seem to still be targeting overseas buyers. However, I have not used it and don't endorse it. But it's there. You may be able to find better stuff at other sites since so much has changed in the last 10 years.

Britrail passes (various sorts) still exist. They can only be purchased and used by overseas buyers and are not available to UK residents.

A Britrail pass affords considerable savings if you are going to do a lot of train travel, or are going to do just a few long journeys.

However, if you are only going to travel short distances, or for only a few days, you need to do the maths, because they can work out more expensive than just turning up at the station on the day and buying an off-peak fare.

Archived