For those that will be using the patch...

Stout93

A little tidbit that I havent seen mentioned on these boards.....

Carnival does not recommend the Transderm "Patch".

Me and the gal were on the Carnival Spirit May 21 - 28 and both got prescriptions for the patch. It states to wear the first one for the first 3 days and then put on a new one. Well....we did that and on the 4th day we both got pretty queasy. We went down to the infirmiry and the nurse asked if we just switched to a new patch. We said "Yes." And she indicated we were now over-medicated. They also had a big poster on the desk stating that Carnival doesnt recommend the patches. She told us to take off the patches right there and wash behind our ears and wash our hands. She gave us motion sickness pills and told us to take them in about 6 hours and then every 12 hours after that. She then went on to say before our next cruise, dont bother buying any meds, just come down to the infirmiry and they'd set us up with the motion sickness pills.

I'm very prone to motion sickness (cant even watch an IMAX movie) and I know some people swear by the patch. But I'll save some money next time and just take the pills the ship has (if we go with Carnival again)....

Scopolamine (i.e. "The Patch") or Transderm Scop has been in and off the markets for some time. While it is usually safe, some do have negative reactions, but the general problem is people tend to use it to excess and come down with overdose symptoms.

Serious side effects generally require medical treatment to counteract the overdose - I know, I've done it and it isn't fun!

Unless your doctor has a strong recommendation for your taking "The Patch", ask him instead about something less problematic such as meclizine, which can be purchased in over the counter versions such as "Bonine".

Just to put another spin on things.....

I get INCREDIBLY sea sick.

So, I put the patch on right before / as I get on the cruise ship because it's not going anywhere for another couple hours. I then keep the patch on for 3/4 days. If I start getting nauseous the 4th day, I switch it immediately, but sometimes I find I don't need to switch one out at all. Dramamine / other meds don't help me, but the patch did!

Good luck to all!

My husband wore a patch for a 7-day Disney cruise a few years ago, and it SAVED him. He tried w/just bonine the first day and was miserable. Once the patch took effect, he was fine.

I don't remember him ever changing that one patch and he's 6'4"/230lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if the drug companies advise unnecessary patch-changing just to sell more patches!

I too have tried using bonine and while it works just fine on the cruise ship portion of my trips it has never worked on small sailboats or catamerans. I just end up tossing my cookies and being miserable for the rest of the day. I did give the patch a test run when I first got the rx. and although I did experience a low grade headache that was the only side effect I noticed and that may not have been related to the patch at all. Joan

I used the patch and will never use it again...

Side affects...dizzy, forgetfulness, unbalanced, mood change..

The Dr. on the ship also told me to take it off..

My last cruise I used Bonine with Phenergan...I just took 1/2 in the morning with Bonine at noon took the other 1/2 at 5:00, at night took Bonine again, breaking it up this way kept me from getting sleepy.

I am very prone to motion sickness...even after preparing before I left I still got icky feeling the first night. We always try to stay mid ship which also helps with the swaying.

Has anyone put on the patch after they came down with seasickness? My doc knows I don't like to use medicines if I don't have to. He says his patients have had good luck with wrist bands and the patch. He told me I could choose not to use the patch and then put it on if I got miserably sea sick. I was wondering if anyone had done this, and if so, how long it would take for it to start working?

My first cruise I went unprepared:eek: actually I went stupid:p not thinking I could or would ever get motion sickness. I finally put a patch on after the second day of misery and it took a good 24 hours to get rid of the motion sickness but I had other symptoms from the patch so I would not suggest waiting until you get sick be prepared and start something a day or two before you leave.

• 2 weeks later...

I take Bonine every 12 hours the whole time, and so far have been fine.

Start taking it a couple of days before you get on board so it's in your system. The ginger capsules seem to help if you start to get queasy. I think being sea sick is the worst feeling there is! I also keep lots of crackers and stuff with me to much on.

I take Bonine every 12 hours the whole time, and so far have been fine.

Start taking it a couple of days before you get on board so it's in your system. The ginger capsules seem to help if you start to get queasy. I think being sea sick is the worst feeling there is! I also keep lots of crackers and stuff with me to much on.

Do you cut the bonine in half or do you take the whole tablet twice a day? The box says one a day and my doc said to stick with that. Everyone should check with their doc about what is safe for them to use and how much.

I used the patch many many years ago on a short Carribean cruise out of Miami. I did not know if I would get sea sick, and, obviously did not want to know. Put the patch on the day before, and it worked perfectly. We had some serious rockin' and rollin' which made is truly hilarious to try to walk across a large expanse where there was nothing to hold on to. I remember that part quite well!! I plan on using the patch again, but, this trip is twice as long, so i might be warry of using the second patch quite as quickly as recommended.

Am I the only one who's had this happen? I tried the patch many years ago on one of my first cruises. On day three I changed the patch, as the presciption instructed. But I did something stupid - I changed the patch, then put my contacts in, without washing my hands. I found out later by a pharmacist friend that the drug in the patch is the same or similar to what they use to dilate your eyes, so my eyes were dilated for about 24 hours. Sitting out by the pool was almost unbearably bright. And at dinner that night, I couldn't read the menu. Another girl in our group had the exact problem, she changed her patch that morning and she wears contacts too, so we both had to have the menu read to us. Make sure to wash your hands after changing the patch, or even after touching it.

The patch doesn't work for everyone but it worked great for my mom. Our first cruise she tried the pills and ginger - did absolutely nothing for her. I thought I'd never get her back on a cruiseship.

The lure of Alaska convinced her to get back on a ship last month. This time I made her get the patch. Worked great for her with absolutely no side effects. She followed the directions to the letter.

I used the Patch only once years ago and gave it up.

I get very car sick - but wanted an alternative to medications.

I have used Sea Bands for many years now and never get motion sick. You put them on your wrists about 30 min prior to needing them - they apply pressure on your pressure points. You can get them by motion sickness medications at most drug stores - sometimes you really have to look around a couple different stores. I carry a pair in my purse at all times and have converted several people to them.

Another alternative that works for me is Ginger Root.

I'll take both of these to Alaska in August. The first day at sea from Vancouver was a little rough the last time we went in 2002.

Archived