Vent - Price of Alaska excursions

cynt

I have over a year to wait and I want to book now. Mainly so the "sticker shock" will have time to wear off, and I can just enjoy the tour. But my TA said it would be December or january before the booked opening...auuurrrgghhh..!!

Jayne

I have over a year to wait and I want to book now. Mainly so the "sticker shock" will have time to wear off, and I can just enjoy the tour. But my TA said it would be December or january before the booked opening...auuurrrgghhh..!!

Jayne

Some independent tour operators will accept bookings way in advance. My cruise isn't until May of '09 and I've been booked with Cpt. Larry for whale watching in Juneau since April 21st-over a year out. If you're thinking about doing independent tours, check with each operator, some might already be accepting bookings.

Frankly, if you are complaining about these prices, then maybe you will have such excessive expectations setting yourself up for disappointment. Choose prices and tours that you can live with.

This is such a true statement. When I first started pricing the excursions we were interested in, I was dismayed at the cost. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized this might be the only opportunity I have to do these unique things - glacier trekking, sea kayaking and float plane rides to see bears feed. These aren't your typical cruise vacation excursions. So we're going, (weather permitting) and I couldn't care less about the cost anymore because it's my chance (maybe my only chance) to explore Alaska. If I go with hard feelings over how much it is costing me, I won't enjoy it no matter what.

My DH is a pilot and as far as helicopter tours go, they will always be expensive. It's not just the price of fuel, it's maintenance. He says they are notoriously expensive to keep running because they have so many moving parts. - SF

My DH is a pilot and as far as helicopter tours go, they will always be expensive. It's not just the price of fuel, it's maintenance. He says they are notoriously expensive to keep running because they have so many moving parts. - SF

Helicopters don't fly, they just beat the air into submission!! :D I'm a pilot too, and agree with your DH. I wouldn't trust a discount helicopter tour any more than discount brain surgery!

Everyone has to go with what they are comfortable with. :) Some, the money is just too much to spend- they will still have a great time- IF, they don't bother themselves with regrets, which most make great choices (I find it very sad to read the negative reviews touring Alaska).

I am fortunate, I travel when and where I wish. I only live for today and never "waited". Unfortunately, I know too many people who with the future plans, never pan them out.

My DH is an attorney and he always advises his clients to go, do and travel while they can. So often people wait and put off trips,etc. until later and then later does not come as something happens to one of them. We are definately trying to take our own advice. Don't want any regrets later in life. This is a beautiful world to see, so everyone get out there if you can.

My DH is an attorney and he always advises his clients to go, do and travel while they can. So often people wait and put off trips,etc. until later and then later does not come as something happens to one of them. We are definately trying to take our own advice. Don't want any regrets later in life. This is a beautiful world to see, so everyone get out there if you can.

My supervisor and her husband are going to Alaska this August. She told me it had originally been an "after [she] retires" event. Her husband had a very mild heart attack last year and they realized much the same thing. They're taking the cruise now and, after she retires, they'll go back for the month long tour!

Archived