Booking cruise for 5 (2 adults/3 kids)

I was hoping to get some suggestions regarding booking a cruise for my family of 5. I have 3 kids ages 6, 7 and 9. My husband and I took them on their first cruise earlier this month. I booked two cabins on the Monarch with an adjoining door on our last cruise. I would never book two seperate cabins that were not adjoined beause my husband and I prefer to have our cabin and the 3 boys have their own. Of course since they are all minors we coldn't do that if there wasn't a door connecting the cabins inside.

We did enjoy having 2 bathrooms and two closets... however, I was curious as to how much more space we would have booking a suite or larger cabin? On the Monarch we has ocean view (smallest size). If you were booking for 5, would you prefer a large family suite or 2 window views? I would prefer a balcony - but with the ages of my kids I would worry too much.

We had such a great time on our last cruise that I am dying to do it again soon!

Thanks!!!

I would take two OV or two Inside rooms over 1 suite for a family of five. It's probably cheaper that way too.

We have booked a balcony with an inside or a promenade cabin across the hall, however I understand your reluctance to do that, as my children are a bit older than yours. Incidentally, RCI does allow you to book your minor children into their own cabin (that is not connected to yours) as long as it is very close to it (like directly across the hall). We have done it twice. Otherwise, to get around this, you would book one adult into each cabin, and then once onboard, they will sort out the room keys for you at the Purser's desk)

On Voyager class ships, in the rear "corners" of deck 9, you can reserve a D1 balcony that's connected to an L category inside cabin. In the front corners of deck 9, there are D1/F connecting combos. Of course, these cabins go fast, so you'd need to call RCI directly to see if they are available for the sailing you have in mind.

Rather than pay the higher price for two balconies that are connected - why not book a balcony for you and hubby - and an inside across the hall for the boys? You may not be ok with that given their ages - but from your post it sounded more like because it was a cruise line restriction (which you can circumvent by booking one adult in each cabin and then sleeping where you wish). That would solve the worry about them even being in a room with a balcony and the safety issue of that.

Or do the Family Suite which I believe has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

I was hoping to get some suggestions regarding booking a cruise for my family of 5. I have 3 kids ages 6, 7 and 9. My husband and I took them on their first cruise earlier this month. I booked two cabins on the Monarch with an adjoining door on our last cruise. I would never book two seperate cabins that were not adjoined beause my husband and I prefer to have our cabin and the 3 boys have their own. Of course since they are all minors we coldn't do that if there wasn't a door connecting the cabins inside.

We did enjoy having 2 bathrooms and two closets... however, I was curious as to how much more space we would have booking a suite or larger cabin? On the Monarch we has ocean view (smallest size). If you were booking for 5, would you prefer a large family suite or 2 window views? I would prefer a balcony - but with the ages of my kids I would worry too much.

We had such a great time on our last cruise that I am dying to do it again soon!

Thanks!!!

Sometimes the suites price out just a little higher pp than booking 2 rooms. I would check out a suite since they will sleep 5. I tried to book us the royal family suite on Monarch today the price was great! but we have 6 and it only sleeps 5.

We always book a Grand Suite for 5 (our kids are 9, 9, and 13). We love the balcony time with eachother and the kids have no desire to go out there. At least our kids didn't.

I would check the prices for a Grand Suite. We had one on the Monarch and one on the Vision.

We always book a Grand Suite for 5 (our kids are 9, 9, and 13). We love the balcony time with eachother and the kids have no desire to go out there. At least our kids didn't.

I would check the prices for a Grand Suite. We had one on the Monarch and one on the Vision.

This would mean five people sharing one bathroom. OP, I'd look into a royal family suite. It sounds perfect for your family.

Archived