Ladies Formal Night

OK, I've read a lot of things on this and I know it says you don't have to dress up if you don't want to, but for those of you that have traveled on the Rhapsody, just how formal were your formal nights?

I was leaning towards a beaded full length gown, but a client of mine took the cruise and she said she was over dressed, that people don't dress up like they use to...???? So now I am confused!! Is Rhapsody more causual than many or was it just her 'crowd' of attendees?

tinsel57

A PICTURE WORTH 1000 WORDS

Our dining group on formal night on the Radiance of the Seas, July 2002. It is a good representation of the differences. The biggest drawback of a beaded dress for me would be the weight. But this is your chance for formal portraits too, so what ever you think will make you happiest in the long run.

Vicki

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

Radiance 6/2002

Radiance 10/2002

Brilliance 11/2003

[/b]

LEGEND OF THE SEAS - September 26, 2004

Visit our Roll Call HERE

Cruise Europe 2005 (CC Group Cruise)- June 5, 2005

Visit our Roll Call HERE

On the cruises I have gone on I have worn dresses with beading and never felt out of place. But on the other hand, we also had a table made up of our own friends who were also dressed up. My DH has a tux and his friends wear one also.

My vacation picshttp://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Yes, I am aware of what they've printed, what I am asking is, has your experience on Rhapsody followed the printed word, ie., was formal night really fancy dresses and tux's or suits because the feed back I'm receiving is that there are quite a number of people that don't follow the written word!

I think the photo supplied in the first response was indictive of what I am hearing... few are doing formal dresses and tux's, a few more are doing suits and a dress and the rest don't appear to be much more than business casual.

No sense in dragging fancy clothes if it's not really necessary.

tinsel57

Tinsel57,

I've been on the Rhapsody 4x's. Love the ship. The crew is absolutely fabulous. You wear your sequined dress. I would say about 75% of people dress up. Really dress up. Men in tux's and black suits, women in their formal wear. Now, that's only on the 2 formal nights. The other nights you don't have to dress that formal. But, wear what you want. You will not be overdressed. I've got one thought (I think someone else posted this). If you're flying,there might be a weight issue with your sequined dress, but if you're driving. WEAR IT.

Have a wonderful cruise, you'll love the Rhapsody.

Linda

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trabucocruiser:

Hey Tinsel, its your vacation, dress to the nines if you want and you will probably love it,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tinsel57,

As you saw in the picture, you will see a variety of interpretations of formal night. It's your choice. It's up to you.

My husband and I chose to "dress to the nines" as trabucocruiser put it. We never really get a chance to dress up like this. It was fantastic and it made the cruise even more special! I had never seen my husband in a tux in our 25 years of marriage. Wow! Was he handsome! I felt like a princess! Strangers were commenting on how "beautiful" we looked.

We took the opportunity and had some formal portraits taken. They came out great and we made them our official 25th anniversary portraits and ordered copies for all of the family. If we had not chosen to "dress to the nines", we would have missed out on a very memorable experience.

We have another cruise scheduled for August and because of our experience we chosen to drag "fancy clothes" with us on this and every cruise we go on in the future. My DH has even chosen to purchase a tuxedo to wear on future cruises. This is from a man who retired nine years ago and refuses to wear ties...

Counting down the days until our Alaskan cruise on the Vision!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine..."

You will see all types of dresses, suits, tuxes, pants...etc... on formal night. Our group have always dressed "formal", meaning full length dress and tuxes and have NEVER felt overdressed. We only get to do it a few times a year, so we go for it! Have fun!

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

That sounds great! I will admit, I'd love to get dressed especially since we just don't have the opportunity to dress up very much. Especially in Texas where things are so casual, at least in Austin! We're driving so I don't have to worry about luggage weight and as hubby turns 50 next year a formal portrait would be lovely.. especially if I can lose a few precruise pounds!! Haha!

So I will head your wisdom and not worry about what others are doing and plan for myself!

Thank you all! Feel free to post any pics of your formal wear - I'd love to see you!

tinsel57

you can use, what ever make you feel good!

SONG OF AMERICA X3, SONG OF NORWAY X3, VIKING SERENADE X2, NORDIC EMPRESS, EXPLORER OF THE SEAS X5, ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS X2

------------------------------

EXPLORER OF THE SEAS APR/17/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;04;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

HORIZON TO BERMUDA JULY 3, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;07;03;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS OCT/03/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;03;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

icon_rolleyes.gif

Tinsel... go for it - dress formal and be sure to have your picture taken at every station they have set up!! We had a formal group shot of all 12 of us on EOS in March - came out fantastic. Also on previous cruise DH wore a tux and the photos were honestly better than some of our wedding pictures!! Cruising just has such an effect on us -- we looked tanned and relaxed...

Some folks don't "dress up" but plenty do - I recommend the full length beaded gown & tux all the way!

P.S. Hi Sonshiner! Finally in the 40's here - got the latest RCI brochure yesterday to start planning 25th Anniversary cruise in 2006! Yes, we should take the Eastern route so that I can get some "bling bling" for my fingers and ears!! Hope DH is still doing well.

Hi, Margie! icon_smile.gif

Glad to hear that it's warming up back East. Our new grandaughter on the Cape won't have to stay bundled up too long then. (BTW - She was born on 3/6 - the day we boarded the EOS. We didn't know until we got back home!)

It's warming up here - sort of. We had a string of 50 & 60s then a cruel joke! It snowed on Friday! icon_eek.gif At least it didn't stick...

Yes, my DH is doing well. He is really looking forward to our Alaska cruise. He keeps asking "Are we really going in August?" I say, "Uh, yes...is there a problem...should we go in May instead?" icon_wink.gif

Here's to your plans for 2006 and your 25th! May all your dreams come true! icon_biggrin.gif

Counting down the days until our Alaskan cruise on the Vision!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine..."

Archived