I love Silver Jewelry...Where in Mexico

taramarie

I am planning on buying a few nice pieces of silver in Mexico when I go for my July 21 cruise. Do you have a particular store that you shop at in Cozumel or Yucatan(Progresso)?

Do you bargin with them? How much can I expect to spend on pieces? This is going to be my big souvenier! So I am excited to add to my collection. I love turquoise too....any advice?

Tara

Cozumel's loaded! Be careful and do a little homework. Make sure you get the real deal. I bought my wife a very nice multi-color stone bracelet in Mexico 3 years ago and it's very nice. The people on the boat can direct you to reputable dealers.

At a jewelry store .. not on the street. While Mexico does regulate their silver industry, all of the street merchants are not inspected and they do make an alloy of pewter and old batteries that looks fine .. until you've had it a couple of weeks. If you buy it in a jewelry store or art gallery you can be pretty darn sure that they are inspected regularly and are selling the real thing. I love my silver jewelery from there and if you were going to the Mexican riviera I could give you a lot more help.

Enjoy the trip.

I purchased some beautiful silver from Los Cinco Soles. You can look at their website at loscincosoles.com. It's in the marketplace in Cozumel. The restaurant behind the shop has some good food too.

Kim

I got a silver necklace from a store in downtown Cozumel. You can definitely barter and they'll work with you on the price. My mom also got a silver bracelet the last time we were there and it's held up extremely well. She bartered him down to a reasonable price too.

We just got back from Cozumel. My friend who's pretty knowledgeable about jewlery found some nice pieces at reasonable prices at the $10 silver store at the far end of the main street (almost to Ron Jon's). She bought 2 charms and a pair of earrings. All were stamped with 925 and she said many of them had over $10 worth of silver even before you added the stones.

Only thing to beware of at that store is that not everything is $10. Some of the stuff over $10 is a little overpriced, so just watch the signs.

Weve been going to Mexico for about 10 years. I used to get some really good deals there but now they weigh it most of the time. Also make sure its not being weighed when it has stones. You can bargain sometimes but ive found alot better prices on silver in the states. Also just because it says 925 does not mean its real sterling silver. Sometimes just the clasp or link thats marked 925 is real silver and the rest is plated. I found this out when we first started going and came home with some junk.

Definately do your homework before you leave home. We found silver jewelry around here to be cheaper than in Cozumel. We always ask them to weigh the piece so we know what the price is per gram, much easier to compare prices that way.

I am not so much concerned with if I could get it for a better price at home (silly I know), I am just looking for something great to say that i got it in Mexico!!!! I want something that does not look like the stuff I get at home. Does that sound weird????

Tara

Tara,

I've gotten some great pieces in Coz (I've never been to Progresso). I'm like you, I like the unusual pieces that you can't find anywhere. You will find some really unique pieces all over! And they will bargain with you. The ones that are NOT on the recommended list will bargain with you more!

June

Cozumel's loaded! Be careful and do a little homework. Make sure you get the real deal. I bought my wife a very nice multi-color stone bracelet in Mexico 3 years ago and it's very nice. The people on the boat can direct you to reputable dealers.

Not to change the subject but cigar dude......but dang....ur hot!!!

I am planning on buying a few nice pieces of silver in Mexico when I go for my July 21 cruise. Do you have a particular store that you shop at in Cozumel or Yucatan(Progresso)?

Do you bargin with them? How much can I expect to spend on pieces? This is going to be my big souvenier! So I am excited to add to my collection. I love turquoise too....any advice?

Tara

Make very sure you recognize silver when you see it. Much of the silver in Mexico is heavily alloyed with nickel.....much of the cheaper items sold on the streets are, for sure.

If you are into buying serious, REAL Mexican silver, do your homework before you leave. Check out the hallmarks and other stamps that you should see. Much of the good silver comes from Taxco...make sure you are knowledgable about the hallmarks for Taxco. It's all on the web, you just have to dig it out.

If you are looking for really fine pieces, I suggest you attend the shopping talks given on board for recommendations as to where to shop. At least what you buy is guaranteed by Carnival.

Caveat Emptor!!

I have pcs that are 40 yrs old and still great. My Amigo Max, has been in Coz for 15 yrs..we had lunch May 13th cruise. he will be at The store just in the walkway, and downstairs of La Mira Vista(sp?) hotel. It was Diamond Port..now it has a new name(maybe Silver Port, or Shine)..just 2 blks to the left(towrds Forum Shop, end) of Post Office. It is a corner store with full glass floor to ceiling windows.and a free drink machine with tequila or rum.. We IM 2x a week or so. A lot of guys have his cell #..name is Max Cruz, and quite a Gentleman..if you wish you can email me and I will email you his pic. Very educated from Mex City. We go to lunch when I'm there. tell him Judi sent you..theeangel at juno dot com..good luck..there are lots of stores...I have many many things I am very happy with, and start the bargainin g at ,less than 1/2 . and usually pay about half of asking..cash talks, ore use 1/2 cash 1/2 cc there is a slae price back room at Cinco soles..no bargain in front tho.

Archived