Island Princess Hawaii - some notes (long)

llandaff

Vicki -- Thanks for all the helpful info. We are trying to get on the Island's Feb. Hawaii cruise, so your information was so very helpful. Regarding Honolulu -- My husband's Navy ship during WWII was tied up next to the Arizona during the Pearl Harbor raid, so we really want to visit there. We are going with daughter and son-in-law and we thought we could find a cab at the port to take us there. Are there many cabs available there at the port?

We are going during the whale watching season so we're hoping that we will get to see that.....which is why we are choosing Feb. Sounds as if you had a great time. I have been on the Island to the Panama Canal and love the ship.

KAJOKG - I don't think you will have any difficulty getting a cab at the port. If you disembark the ship soon after she arrives in port there is a person in radio contact with the taxis ensuring a good supply.

The port is right at a busy shopping area too (Aloha Marketplace) so I would imagine there would be cabs around during the day anyway.

Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial is a very special place. I've visited 3 times and still find it moving. The Parks Service does a great job of managing the vast numbers of visitors without making you feel too hurried or crowded.

February will be a great time to see whales. I was actually surprised that the bridge announced a whale sighting even on our cruise (closer to the West Coast than in Hawaii though). We were in the middle of dinner at the time so missed it (and with my eyesight a "quick peek" is out of the question!).

Hope you have a great time.

Vicki.

Do you remember which nights were formal nights on your cruise? We want to eat at Sabatinis, but I don't want to miss the formal nights in the dining room...

Hi Fern,

The formal nights were on the first sea day after leaving LA (ie. second night onboard) and then the first sea day and fourth sea day after leaving Maui.

Hope that helps.

Vicki.

ps. Seems weird replying to you here. I usually "read" you on TUG! :)

I was onthe 2nd sailing of this itinerary. I would agree with everything llandaff said about the cruise, the ship, and the islands. As far as entertainment goes, that, like food, can be very subjective. My wife and I really enjoyed a duet in the Wheelhouse called Walking Miracles. They told us they would be on-board thru March. They did a lot of songs form the 5os and 60s and were very receptive to requests.

The ocean can change quite a bit on the sea days. Its really kind of a crap shoot. On our voyage the seas were usually what is termed moderate at 4.5 - 7 feet and while you did know you were on a ship, it didn't seem to be bothering any of the passengers. Sea days were generally cloudy with some full sun breaks. On our last sea day prior to arriving in LA it rained a good portion of the day.

For those that like the art auctions there was a good variety of items, but folks generally bought items at the first couple of austions and the later ones did not do well which seemed to frustrate Steve the auctioneer.

Tom

Archived