CocoCay Snorkeling

Is it a rule that you have to wear the vest? And if so is there someone enforcing this rule?

It was $30 for all the equipment on my cruise in May.

Yes the rule is you have to wear a life vest if you bring your own gear. I never saw anyone w/o a vest, but they do announce it on LOUD SPEAKERS that if you are caught without a life vest that you can be barred from snorkelling :eek:

If you snorkel in the designated snorkeling area, yes you have to wear a vest and yes, there are people (tall...blonde...Australian...be still my heart) enforcing it.

Apparently you can snorkel in the other areas, but the designated area is where the wrecks and fishies are..

The vest just has a strap that goes around your waist with none that comes up through your legs. Something about my build/shape caused it to constantly ride up around my neck and it d**n near strangled me...no exaggeration while I was trying to get out to the distant wreck areas. So, I stayed near the rocks by shore where I could sort of control it's location occasionally. However, I saw many really really neat fish there, so I'm not hjorribly sorry.

My vest choked me too, but honestly, you just get used to swimming and holding the vest down with one hand. I did anyways!! lol...

And a side note, the best FISH and sea life are out to the left of the rocks. I try to tell anyone and everyone this now since I just found out on my last cruise. Trust me, you will not regret going to the left. The tide can get strong out there tho so you might enjoy the vest when you kick-kick-kick and go nowhere - at least you'll be floating.

We had someone rescued when I was there last lol....I think they were just swimmers though.

I'm just going to go ahead and buy my own vest before I cruise next time. I already have everything else. :D So, why not. I was doing the one-handed swimming, but last week, while the tenders made it in, the water was a little rough for swimming and it was more work than fun swimming that way.

That stupid G'Da*n vest was 5 bucks a pop. We went last year and snorkeled in an unsupervised area and didn't need vests. This year on the Mariner we decided to snorkel the plane and we were told we *needed* the vests. I didn't even inflate mine so it wouldn't ride up on me. We did see a sting ray and what we thought looked like a barracuda. It was nice to see the fish but the vest was a pain in the arse!

Has anyone noticed people bringing their own floats (like the pop-open kind with the inflatable rim) to Coco Cay, or is that not allowed?

We've taken our own cheapo blow up floats..no problems...

Archived