Skagway to Yukon and back while ship is in port

kayden

I am taking my first (Alaskan) cruise in less than a month with my mom and we would like to visit Carcross, Yukon. However, after doing a bit of reading it appears that as a CDN that lives in the province below it (ironic I guess) we can't rent a car and drive into Canada with it.

So...I've been looking at a few HAL excursions to get us there. I was wondering which one of the following (or if there are any other suggestions, then great) would be more enjoyable for the 2 of us that don't want to spend too much time looking at the wonderful scenery through the pass through our wonderful province....we just want to visit the Yukon!

We are contemplating either the White Pass Railroad tour (which is pricey and long) or the Motor Coach Suspension Bridge Tour (which may be a bit more uncomfortable seating wise?).

Any help, experiences, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You may want to post a share ride, on your Roll Call. Otherwise, you have the option of a rail/bus combo, or round trip bus. Independent Chilkoot Charters gets consistant rave reviews, using smaller groups. You do need to make sure you are looking at the longer tours. The summit trips do not get to the Yukon, only BC.

You're correct that as a Canuck you can't rent a car in Skagway and drive into Canada - a really stupid Canada Customs regulation. But don't give up totally on a car - post on your cruise's Roll Call to see if anyone would like to share a rental. If that doesn't work, there are 4 independent operators offering various types of Carcross trips (some with a train section, some without) - you'll find links to Chilkoot, Frontier, Southeast and Skagway Street Car Company at http://www.explorenorth.com/alaska/skagway_tours.html (the Yukon Suspension Bridge, despite the name, is in BC).

Murray

Kayden, as a Canadian I have the same problem as you do, I have to think that someday this silly regualtion is going to disappear. However at this late date I doubt that you would be able to get a car rental anyways and certainly like the idea of seeing if you can share a rental as an alternative. Good luck.

To the OP

I wanted to to get to the Yukon also but didn't want to drive myself--can't look at scenery that way nor did I want my 78 year old Father from NYC driving (ARRGGHHH!!) I read some reviews re: Dyea Dave ( he has a website) on these boards and contacted him--he seems super--we have booked him for the day we are in Skagway in early Sept and I know his tour to/from Yukon will be great

Johanna

Have you taken the train? It is truly beautiful and you see things you cannot see from a car. We went with Chilcoot and really enjoyed it! We did the tour to the Yukon. We took a train first. Then we were on a smaller sized van. We had lunch at Carcross which we enjoyed very much. We went to Emerald Lake. The driver was good about stopping whenever someone wanted to stop. For example, we stopped for pictures of bears we spotted.

Any comments on the Yukon Suspension Bridge? The first time I had heard of it was when we passed it on the highway. At $18 per adult, we passed. Although the resident Golden Retriever jumped up to the car window to say hello :) It was so darn windy I do not think it would have been that enjoyable.

Did we miss out on much?

Any comments on the Yukon Suspension Bridge? The first time I had heard of it was when we passed it on the highway. At $18 per adult, we passed. Although the resident Golden Retriever jumped up to the car window to say hello :) It was so darn windy I do not think it would have been that enjoyable.

Did we miss out on much?

There's not much there for $18.50 - at the Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver you get good value for your $25.

Did we miss out on much?

There's not much there for $18.50 - at the Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver you get good value for your $25.
The Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge was pretty good for free :) We skipped Capilano since that seemed to be the touristy thing to do.

Thanks for the info on the Yukon Suspension Bridge. I do not feel bad about not doing it.

Archived