Port Of Miami Question....

timh111

We have been on 7 cruises and are working on planning our 8th. We have cruised from the Port of Miami twice VIA the Carnival embarkation point. It takes us between 1 and 3 hrs to get aboard the ship. We are looking at doing a cruise on Royal Carribbean that leaves from the Port of Miami. Do things move smoother at the RCCL embarkation point or can we expect the same as the Carnival point?

The time it takes to get thru the boarding/embarkation process really depends on the time you arrive and the crowds that are there when you are.... I have had to wait for 1 1.5 hrs in the past and then again got onboard in 30 minutes after arriving when boarding in Miami. So I really don't think it has anything to do with the cruiseline per say if you will get on any quicker at all.

I just people watch and let the excitment GROW while waiting patiently and laughing at all the people fussing at how long it is taking to board the ship ! Then they will also fuss about not being able to get to their cabin right when they board... then of course fussing about the crowds at lunch on the Lido deck right after they board !

The time it takes to get thru the boarding/embarkation process really depends on the time you arrive and the crowds that are there when you are.... I have had to wait for 1 1.5 hrs in the past and then again got onboard in 30 minutes after arriving when boarding in Miami. So I really don't think it has anything to do with the cruiseline per say if you will get on any quicker at all.

I just people watch and let the excitment GROW while waiting patiently and laughing at all the people fussing at how long it is taking to board the ship ! Then they will also fuss about not being able to get to their cabin right when they board... then of course fussing about the crowds at lunch on the Lido deck right after they board !

Thanks for your reply TravelAngel. Here's the problem we had the last time we cruised from the Miami port 2 years ago on the Triumph....When trying to board....Carnival INSISTS that you have a picture taken upon boarding. As I stated in my post...we have been on 7 cruises and we felt that you should be given an option of if you want your picture taken and providing a line for those that DON'T so you can board quickly. This was the ONLY reason why it took so long to board!! Many people travel long distances and many hours and just want to board and begin their vacation. Carnival should give those that don't want embarkation pictures an option. Since we have never sailed RCCL, that is why I posted my question.

Thanks for your reply TravelAngel. Here's the problem we had the last time we cruised from the Miami port 2 years ago on the Triumph....When trying to board....Carnival INSISTS that you have a picture taken upon boarding. As I stated in my post...we have been on 7 cruises and we felt that you should be given an option of if you want your picture taken and providing a line for those that DON'T so you can board quickly. This was the ONLY reason why it took so long to board!! Many people travel long distances and many hours and just want to board and begin their vacation. Carnival should give those that don't want embarkation pictures an option. Since we have never sailed RCCL, that is why I posted my question.

If you are speaking of the photo that is used for identification when using your Sail and Sign Pass when you get on or off the ship while in a port of call.... that is the norm. Now if you are talking about the cheezy photo taken for possible later purchase, I just tell them NO THANKS and walk right by them... it is NOT required ! You are going to run into the same problem with Royal Caribbean.... cruiselines LOVE to take those photos with hopes that a high % will purchase !!!

Have a GREAT CRUISE and remember that once thru all the embarkation fiasco... you can go get that drink and start RELAXING !!!

Travel Angel is correct. All cruise lines want to take a boarding picture in hopes you will buy. Just walk on by and say no thanks as it is not necessary. Last May in Miami, it only took about 20-30 minutes to get onboard the Triumph for me and the DW, so time of arrival, crowd size, etc. all have an effect.

If you are referring to and complaining about the lines that occur as everyone boards the ship as a result of the picture that is taken while boarding...that is a picture that is used by security. They use it when you get on an off the ship to match the picture with the person getting on and off. Its not optional. All cruise lines that I know of have them, and there's no way around it.

Try arriving just after the crowds and you should be able to walk through the lines without a problem. If you arrive at the same time everyone else does, then there may be lines of varing length.

Archived