"Last Minute" Cruises

fnewman

I guess it is well known that there is no such thing as last-minute, walk-up cruise boarding any more due to security regulations. However, can anyone tell me how close to the sailing date you can still book a cruise these days?TIA

not "recent" but in Sep '06 we booked one week prior to sailing. Carnival had advertised a great deal on a 5 night Western Carribean -- the ad ran on the radio, my DH heard it, and we'd missed the same deal the previous year, so he booked then called me, LOL.

As for what kind of deal we got....I think it was $150/pp or maybe $200/pp, I don't recall. Now he watches websites for deals....

That is very true; however, we live only about a day's drive from FLL. So, with retirement pending, a last-minute deal would definitely be doable for us, although I would not consider anything shorter than 7 days.

We can't recommend specific websites on this site... most often these REALLY last minute deals are faxed/emailed to TA's. I have yet, however, to find a TA that will really look out for them for me because their commission on such a deal would be teeny.

I would call the cruise line directly. I have done so with Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival Cruises. The latest we have booked a cruise was with Carnival once. I think it was about a week and a half before the cruise.

I do absolutely agree that late booking works better for those who live close to the port and can drive to the port.

I was hoping someone here would have more recent experience with last minute booking than our own experience. Hubby keeps nagging me to find out if we can book Majesty of the Seas as late as a day or two before the cruise.

Thanks, I didn't realize until after I posted that we aren't allowed to name websites. Makes sense I guess.

The cruises I found by googling for last minute cruises weren't priced any better than what I found on the official websites. I'll give calling them a shot. Can't hurt, right?

Archived