Norfolk embarkation for RCI

finoky

We are finally going to sail from our neighboring city of Norfolk on RCI's Grandeur of the Seas. Any comments. good or bad, on the embarkation process for Norfolk is very much appreciated.:) We are having someone drop us off at the port too. Hopefully that is something that can easily be done.

We've cruised out of Norfolk for the past two years (and are going again in August) and have been dropped off right in front of the cruise terminal. There are police directing traffic (which can get heavy). In our experience, it went pretty smoothly. We generally arrive around noon and are onboard in a very short time. The new cruise terminal at Norfolk is very nice.

glad to have found this post. We are finally cruising out of Norfolk as well, as we live in Va Beach. We were also wondering how smooth it all worked down there for the cruise terminal. Seems like things will be AOK :)

We sailed out of Norfolk on the Empress last summer and really enjoyed the experience. The new terminal is just beautiful, the staff was super pleasant, and we found the drop off and pick up to be pretty straight forward. Enjoy your cruises!

We had a great embarking 6/7. Stayed at the Sheraton and walked to the pier in a matter of minutes. Arrived at 11ish and were boarding by noon. All the staff at the pier were very pleasant and the terminal was comfortable. Sail away was very nice and great view and pics of the battleship. Have a great time.

My wife and I have cruised out of the Ports of Miami and Norfolk. We have cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and liked both cruise lines. As for the experience of sailing out of a particular port, we cannot say enough about how smooth and pleasant we found Norfolk to be. We sailed on Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas last year. Previously, we had sailed out of Miami years ago on Carnival's Ecstasy. We will be sailing shortly out of Norfolk again with family on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of The Seas and cannot wait! It is amazing to get dropped off in front of Nauticus, have your luggage picked up right at curbside, walk up to the welcome desk, show your papers and be on board the ship and sipping a drink overlooking the city skyline within 20 minutes! The return trip is almost as smooth. once departed from the ship, entering the area to retrieve luggage and pass Customs, we called our ride on our cell phone and were curbside loading the vehicle and heading on the interstate on our way home in 35 minutes!:)

Thank you everyone for your replies. Looks like Norfolk has the embarkation procedure down pretty good. It's great to hear that the drop off is an easy process. That is exactly what we were hoping to do. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We live in Hampton, also. I'd love to cruise out of Norfolk but it's less expensive to cruise out of Florida including flights for 2 (nonstop) and one night in a hotel. So I'm wondering what other factors led to your decision to cruise out of Norfolk?

Sharon

We live in Hampton, also. I'd love to cruise out of Norfolk but it's less expensive to cruise out of Florida including flights for 2 (nonstop) and one night in a hotel. So I'm wondering what other factors led to your decision to cruise out of Norfolk?

Sharon

We like to cruise out of Norfolk because we don't have to fly. We book Norfolk cruises for our most relaxing getaways. There's nothing quite as easy as being dropped off at the ship for boarding and then just hopping off of the ship and being home in less than an hour when returning home.

I also get quite a kick out of the sailaway when I get to watch everything I'm used to as it fades away from a different angle. The neat sights include downtown Norfolk, the Bay Bridge Tunnel, Town Center in VB, the VB boardwalk, etc.

We watch for good sale prices out of Norfolk and so far the two Bermuda cruises we've booked have been very reasonable. We love Bermuda and it's a real straight shot from Norfolk. Of course we still go to other ports and sail for a variety of ships and destinations.

We sailed out of Norfolk on the Empress 7-day Bermuda cruise and loved it! Norfolk is only a 4½ drive for us. We generally drive to the ports to avoid the hassles of flying, and now with fares going through the roof, less available flights, luggage restrictions & fees, security, late or canceled flights, it's a much more pleasant experience & no lost luggage!

We're sailing out of Norfolk in August and can hardly wait. We only wish RCCL had more ships sailing out of Norfolk and year round itineraries. We certainly would book more cruises.

Lynn

Sharon

We're paying $929 each for a nine night cruise out of Norfolk. How could it possibly be cheaper to fly to Florida, spend one night and pay for transportation from the airport to the port plus food for the extra day? There's also no issue with luggage and you can bring back as much as you want from the different ports and not have to worry about getting it home. It's just so easy from Norfolk!!

Anyone know how soon you can park at Cedar Grove? Most everyone on here appears to be dropped off so I wondering if anyone has experience parking. I found an old post that worries me as they mentioned having to wait in a staging area while they finished disembarking those getting off the ship. I had planned to get to parking at 1030-1100. Also, if someone has parked directly across from the cruise terminal, thought I had seen something called Town Center Park? Wondering if they allow long term parking and would let you in early. I understand its 14. a day but might be worthwhile if closer and if you can get in earlier. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
We're paying $929 each for a nine night cruise out of Norfolk. How could it possibly be cheaper to fly to Florida, spend one night and pay for transportation from the airport to the port plus food for the extra day? There's also no issue with luggage and you can bring back as much as you want from the different ports and not have to worry about getting it home. It's just so easy from Norfolk!!

I'm a bargain shopper. My only criteria for a cruise is a balcony. Maybe that's why I'm not finding the bargains. We usually fly air tran with a direct flight. When we flew in January from NN to Ft. Lauderdale our round trip tickets, for 2, was $305 and our hotel was about $200. So for both of us the added cost of flying to FL was about $500. Every cruise leaving Norfolk, that I found was significantly more than $500, for a cruise of 7 days or more.

We have grown children (no grandchildren yet) and we took the whole family on a Carnival cruise. It would have been much easier for all of us to leave from Norfolk but I just couldn't justify the cost.

I truly agree the return crowds at the airports is worth avoiding. It's the absoultely worst part of the vacation! I'll keep looking and maybe one day I'll find the bargain I'm searching for.

Thanks for your input.

Anyone know how soon you can park at Cedar Grove? Most everyone on here appears to be dropped off so I wondering if anyone has experience parking. I found an old post that worries me as they mentioned having to wait in a staging area while they finished disembarking those getting off the ship. I had planned to get to parking at 1030-1100. Also, if someone has parked directly across from the cruise terminal, thought I had seen something called Town Center Park? Wondering if they allow long term parking and would let you in early. I understand its 14. a day but might be worthwhile if closer and if you can get in earlier. Thanks

I've never cruised from Norfolk, but I've worked downtown and uses the parking garage across from the cruise terminal. I've also seen signs for overflow parking at a spot a little further away with a shuttle. It's nowhere near as congested as FL ports.

My hair stylist is located in the area and I've stood in the parking garage on Saturday watching the cruisers arrive. Very exciting. No long lines - very efficient.

I guess I should have responded to your question. Yes the do allow long term parking in the parking garage across from the terminal. They usually have a sandwich board right in front of the garage with instruction for the cruise passengers. The parking garage faces Plume St. Very clean, very safe.

Also, if you have an extra hour or so - the Wisconsin battle ship shares the terminal. Well worth the tour, if you like history. Volunteer Wisconsin veterans are available for questions.

I agree with everything you posted. As you can see I am in Va Beach, and we are cruising out of Norfolk 2 weeks from today, YIPPEE:) ..

Our other two cruises were out of Miami.We are a family of 5. So even if we took a cheaper cruise from Florida, we would still be spending money on 5 airfares(driving is just too much with 3 kids...we have done it;) , more stressful then what it is worth LOL). For us it probably equals the same money to do a 9 night cruise out of Norfolk, then a 7 night out of Miami with travel included..

Now the only downside I see is, that Norfolk doesn't have many choices for the future for us. We are doing the 9 night Eastern Carribean. The other choices with RCCL is the NewEngland one(Which doesnt interest me) and the Bermuda, which again doesnt interest me..I dont want to be in the same port 2 days in a row.

I agree with everything you posted. As you can see I am in Va Beach, and we are cruising out of Norfolk 2 weeks from today, YIPPEE:) ..

Our other two cruises were out of Miami.We are a family of 5. So even if we took a cheaper cruise from Florida, we would still be spending money on 5 airfares(driving is just too much with 3 kids...we have done it;) , more stressful then what it is worth LOL). For us it probably equals the same money to do a 9 night cruise out of Norfolk, then a 7 night out of Miami with travel included..

Now the only downside I see is, that Norfolk doesn't have many choices for the future for us. We are doing the 9 night Eastern Carribean. The other choices with RCCL is the NewEngland one(Which doesnt interest me) and the Bermuda, which again doesnt interest me..I dont want to be in the same port 2 days in a row.[/quot

First, I'm excited for you. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Okay. Let me see if I can explain why I don't find it cost effective. The Norfolk cruise (balcony rooms) run a about $1600 each for a 9 day cruise. So it's approximately $175 a day per person. My hubby and I are taking a RC cruise first week in December 08, balcony room. from FL. Cost per person was a little under $800 but it's a 7 day cruise so it works out to about $115 per person per night. The difference is about $60 a day per person. For two people, for a 7 day cruise, that equals $840. Even with the increase in air fare, a flight for 2 to FL and a decent hotel is less than $800. If it were even close, I'd sail from Norfolk.

I WANT to sail from Norfolk. I'd love to avoid the airport, long lines, cramped seats and I hate taking an extra vacation day before the cruise but the cost always outweighs the aggravation of flying.

If I could find a balcony room for 9 days for under $150 per day it would be worth it. That calculates to $1350 a person. Or a 7 day for $1050. Right now the best deal I could find is a 5 day cruise for $1050. (or $200+ a day per person.)

I'll keep watching for a good deal. Maybe one day, I too will sail from Norfolk.

Again, I wish you all the best on your cruise.

Sharon

Now the only downside I see is, that Norfolk doesn't have many choices for the future for us. We are doing the 9 night Eastern Carribean. The other choices with RCCL is the NewEngland one(Which doesnt interest me) and the Bermuda, which again doesnt interest me..I dont want to be in the same port 2 days in a row.[/quot

First, I'm excited for you. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Okay. Let me see if I can explain why I don't find it cost effective. The Norfolk cruise (balcony rooms) run a about $1600 each for a 9 day cruise. So it's approximately $175 a day per person. My hubby and I are taking a RC cruise first week in December 08, balcony room. from FL. Cost per person was a little under $800 but it's a 7 day cruise so it works out to about $115 per person per night. The difference is about $60 a day per person. For two people, for a 7 day cruise, that equals $840. Even with the increase in air fare, a flight for 2 to FL and a decent hotel is less than $800. If it were even close, I'd sail from Norfolk.

I WANT to sail from Norfolk. I'd love to avoid the airport, long lines, cramped seats and I hate taking an extra vacation day before the cruise but the cost always outweighs the aggravation of flying.

If I could find a balcony room for 9 days for under $150 per day it would be worth it. That calculates to $1350 a person. Or a 7 day for $1050. Right now the best deal I could find is a 5 day cruise for $1050. (or $200+ a day per person.)

I'll keep watching for a good deal. Maybe one day, I too will sail from Norfolk.

Again, I wish you all the best on your cruise.

Sharon

I completely understand everything you are saying. I guess I forgot to mention we always book inside rooms which is cheaper then finding a great price on a balcony.

I to am cruising from my "home" port, Norfolk in October. We've always driven to Florida to get on the ship, but decided to try this. I'm really excited to be able to get to the port in 20 minutes. Everyone has commented about they wish more ships would come to Norfolk, just remember, the more people that book their cruise from Norfolk tells them that there is a need for more ships to be scheduled. Even though we've always cruised on the larger ships and yes the price may be a little more, but with the price of gas, hotel before and after and the cost of food, it was worth it to us. Glad to see so many people from my neighboring cities on here.

Archived