dollar car rental at port of miami

frak

Alamo, Thrifty, and Dollar have shuttle buses (free) going to and from the port of Miami and the Miami airport for car rental. There are only two car rental agencies close to the port of Miami. The first is Avis at only 1.4 miles away and a $7 taxi ride to the port. The second is Hertz at only 0.8 miles away and an even cheaper taxi ride to the port. There are no car rental agencies at the port of Miami. I'm opting for Avis so I can avoid the long wait for a shuttle, the crowded 20-30 minute bus ride, and the even longer wait at the crowded rental agency as everyone rushes off of the bus and gets in line at the rental agency.:(

The problem with the Dollar "free" shuttle is that if you sign up for car "pick-up" at POM is that you charge you about $15 more per day than "pick-up" at MIA. From what I've been able to read on the boards, both locations will then take you to the same lot. :mad:

Someone correct me if I'm confused about this.

Also, at least on Thrifty, they have a limited number of "rentals" available at POM (which, I think is actually space on their shuttle), and then require you to rent from MIA. They informed me (for MIA pick-up) that you have to do the paperwork there at the arrival level at MIA before being taken to the lot where the folks from POM are also picking up their cars.

Right now I have a Dollar car reserved for POM and a Thrifty for MIA. I will decide which one to cancel later.

The problem with the Dollar "free" shuttle is that if you sign up for car "pick-up" at POM is that you charge you about $15 more per day than "pick-up" at MIA. From what I've been able to read on the boards, both locations will then take you to the same lot. :mad:

Someone correct me if I'm confused about this.

Also, at least on Thrifty, they have a limited number of "rentals" available at POM (which, I think is actually space on their shuttle), and then require you to rent from MIA. They informed me (for MIA pick-up) that you have to do the paperwork there at the arrival level at MIA before being taken to the lot where the folks from POM are also picking up their cars.

Right now I have a Dollar car reserved for POM and a Thrifty for MIA. I will decide which one to cancel later.

The shuttle for Thrifty is the same shuttle for Dollar. They share the shuttle and they also share the pick up location. They are in the same building.

So are u saying that if I rent from Dollar on Saturday at the airport and return the car back to the airport on Sunday, that they will transport me to the port for my cruise on a free shuttle? This seems like it would be a great deal, since a taxi is close to $35 from the airport to the port.

teechadeb

So are u saying that if I rent from Dollar on Saturday at the airport and return the car back to the airport on Sunday, that they will transport me to the port for my cruise on a free shuttle? This seems like it would be a great deal, since a taxi is close to $35 from the airport to the port.

teechadeb

It's a good deal and yes, you save the $24 cab fare (it's a fixed flat rate) from MIA to the Port of Miami.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Carnival.com the shuttle ride to/from the port of Miami to/from the Miami airport is 30 minutes. Plus, you have to wait a while for it to arrive and then wait as tons of people and luggage are loaded onto it. And then you get to stand in line and fight the crowds as everyone rushes off of the bus to get a car (if you're leaving the cruise to rent a car) or you're rushing off the bus and fighting the same crowd to get in line at the cruise ship.:( Rather than blow 45 minutes and much of my patience I'd rather just spend $7 - $10 for a taxi to the closest rental car place that is quiet and not crowded with large groups of people being dropped off from a free shuttle bus. I've been researching all of the rental car facilities closest to the port of Miami and this is what I've found out. According to MapQuest, from the Port of Miami the car rental places closest are as follows:

Thrifty car rental

244 Biscayne Blvd. (1.1 miles away)

Hertz car rental

354 S.E. 1st street (1.1 miles away)

Enterprise car rental

400 S.E. 2nd avenue (1.2 miles away)

Avis car rental

99 S.E. 2nd avenue (1.4 miles away)

These four are the closest to the port and are a pretty cheap cab ride to the port.Here are some discounts codes I keep on file and have used numerous times:

Thrifty: SAMS; WMRT; 5512; AU11; in the PC box and in the corporate discount box I've found 004H003704 to be good.

Avis: 0307800; L093590; A113400; D086689; C031529; (on the second page of the reservation process always check the box that says "lowest rate option")

I'm sorry but I don't have any discount codes for Hertz or Enterprise:( , they are usually much more expensive than the others and I really don't use them unless they have an advertised special on their website. Most of my discount codes are for Sams club members, Wal-Mart card members, and other discounts the car rental companies have sent me via e-mail. I hope this helps some of you. Happy sailing!:)

Archived