Heathrow to Dover Port transportation

We are landing at Heathrow too late (11:45 am) for a ship transfer- but need to get to Dover Port for a NCL Jewel departure at 3:00 on the same day. Do es anyone know our best option? (I was quoted $480 US for a car service!):eek: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You need to allow at least two hours, probably closer to three, to get from Heathrow airport to Dover. If you add on the time to clear customs, there is no way you are going to make a 3pm sailing. You will have to go in the day before. Because it is such a distance from Heathrow to Dover its going to be a pretty pricey trip unless you take public transportation. The cheapest option is probably a one way car rental from Heathrow. We did that a couple of years ago (for a land trip, not a cruise.) We picked up a car in Heathrow & dropped off in Dover. Of course, you would need to be brave enough to drive on the wrong side of the road! (I let dh drive; he's a Brit!)

National Express probably runs a bus from Heathrow to Dover, can check their website. I know they have service to Southampton for Princess cruises. But 3 hours is not long enough, it could take 1/2 to clear immigration but could take a lot longer, then have to claim luggage and walk over to bus terminal. There is probably train service out of Victoria Station but there again, have to get into London so no way 3 hours will get you to Dover.

There are trains. I know we took a train from Victoria station to Dover and I am sure there is a train to Victoria station from Heathrow at least, but hopefully there is a direct train.

I agree with the previous poster. The train ride from Victoria station was over two hours. You will be cutting it close arriving the same day, unless you can get onto an earlier flight.

If you can manage to fly in a day early, check out St. Albans Inn. It is across from the train station in Dover. A very nice woman runs the inn.

Our train from Victoria cost us I think 75 pounds each, so that ran us around $300 US. I have no idea what the dollar is to the pound now, last year it took 2 dollars to make one pound.

We were perfectly comfortable riding the train with our luggage,(there is a rack for luggage) although we did take a taxi from the train station, even though it was only a half mile walk to the inn we stayed at. We could see the inn from the train station but it was up a steep hill and I just felt I could not manage the luggage on foot.

If you can't arrive a day early, you probally should take the car service. Actually by the time I add in hotel costs, train costs, taxis, etc. I am sure we spent more then that.

We did enjoy staying overnight in Dover though. We went to Dover Castle and we also toured the Painted House from Roman times. So for us, it was well worth coming there the night before. Everything was within walking distance also. Even the cruise port, although we still took a taxi there because of luggage.

One nice plus, the local libary allowed us to use the internet for free so we were able to e-mail friends. this and the Roamn House were both in the town square. We also found a great little Italian resturant and a Starbucks like coffe shop that we enjoyed near the square.

We are landing at Heathrow too late (11:45 am) for a ship transfer- but need to get to Dover Port for a NCL Jewel departure at 3:00 on the same day.
"Too late" is right. You just won't get there in time by any means except a helicopter.

If transatlantic flights depart on time there is a good chance of them arriving early but it is a hell of a gamble. If you play, I recommend you book a private hire car and if you clear immigration and the baggage hall by noon and there are no hold ups you should make Dover by 3pm.

In order for this to work you are going to need a lot of luck with things outside of your control. I would urge you as others have done to try to come in earlier or the day before even.

One thought. Does the Ship actually sail at 3pm or is it a case of telling people to be there then so it can at 4pm?

Looking at the Jewel's itinerary on NCL's website, it would appear as if all sailings from Dover depart at 4 om. However, they specify that ALL passengers be on board at least 2 hours before departure....

You're cutting it too close!

A best case scenario from landing to Dover cruise terminal is 3 hours, so your flight will have to be on time or early, no queues at customs and no unexpected delays through traffic on the road or baggage.

If your flight is on time I'd guestimate you'd make it no more than 50% of the time.

So with a car service from Heathrow to Dover -- arrive at 11 a.m., get to the port for sailing by 4 p.m. (also Norwegian Jewel) -- is that also too insane, or is that doable?

Clearing customs in Heathrow has always been super-fast before.

So with a car service from Heathrow to Dover -- arrive at 11 a.m., get to the port for sailing by 4 p.m. (also Norwegian Jewel) -- is that also too insane, or is that doable?

Clearing customs in Heathrow has always been super-fast before.

Best case scenario for someone through Heathrow customs/baggage is 45 minutes, average for a transatlantic flight is probably 60-70 minutes and if you're unlucky 75-90.

As said before a taxi will do the trip to Dover in junder 2 hours, assuming no traffic congestion

If last check-in for your cruise is at 16:00 then assuming your flight is on time you should make it.

If your cruise departs at 16:00, the key deadline is last check-in time not the departure time.

The reality is that delays start even before you land. Holding delays into Heathrow are the norm. After landing the walk from the gate to Immigration can be anything up to 20 minutes. Queues at Immigration are usual and very much luck of the draw. Customs is not normally a hold up, but the wait for arriving baggage can be. Once through, unless there is a driver waiting for you, there is a variable transfer time to get taxis, trains and coaches to your onward destination.

If you have a driver waiting for you, he will need to pay for car parking and negotiate his way out of Heathrow onto the motorway ( depends on terminal but 15-20 minutes would be reasonable.) The journey distance is 105 miles !

The M25 motorway is often referred to as Britains biggest car park ! The good news is that lunchtime-2pm shouldn't be too bad. Nevertheless assuming no road works, accidents or other hold ups ( there are variable speed restrictions with enforcing cameras for the first 20 miles) then you would be looking at 1:50 to 2:00hrs to drive from the start of the Motorway to the Port of Dover. There you would have to pass through security, passport control and ticketing to get to your check in.

If I was doing this and needed to allow 1 hour at the latest for check in, I would need to be off the plane and running at least 4- 5 hours before sailing time. Even then I would be sweating.

As a matter of academic interest I tried running a search of train and coach times for a weekday journey at or after 12:30.

The train option (underground/mainline) has a dep @1249 arr@ 1524; dep@ 1305 arr@ 1544; dep@ 1319 arr@ 1611. The fare is £28.30 ($56). There would then be a 10 minute taxi journey to be added on £7 ($14).

Coaches leave at 1230 and 1330 and involve a 70 minute transfer in central london taking 5 hours total. arrival times are 1730 and 1830. Fare is £16 ($32)

The taxi is your only real fighting chance ( a getaway car would be ideal.) :eek: The fare for a pre-boooked private hire would be around £170+ ($340+)

• 9 months later...
We are landing at Heathrow too late (11:45 am) for a ship transfer- but need to get to Dover Port for a NCL Jewel departure at 3:00 on the same day. Do es anyone know our best option? (I was quoted $480 US for a car service!):eek: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hi there, did you eventually make it on time for embarkation at dover? we're in a similar situation. our flight arrives at 11am at gatwick in june 09. we've booked NCL transfers to dover.. hope we make it on time. can you tell me what time was the last embarkation. ship sails at 4pm.

• 4 years later...

Looking at my old posts....wanted to follow up even though it has been years. Yes, we made it to the ship. It was VERY stressful and I do not recommend flying into Heathrow in order to catch a ship in Dover the same day. We got into Heathrow at 11:20. We booked the car service in advance and the driver was waiting for us. He must drive a race car in his spare time...as we got to Dover with 10 minutes to spare. I will NEVER make that mistake again!

I have flown in and out of LHR and know what it is like and how slow things can be. I would never say 'Heathrow is super-fast' because anymore it just isn't.

I'm certainly glad that you made your ship's departure, but it is a lesson to be shared by all.

Archived