Brisbane - Enough time to drive to Zoo & Back?

Hi

We will be in Brisbane from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm. We are thinking about renting a car and driving up to the Australia Zoo.

I have read that the drive takes a little over an hour. Is that correct?

Do you think it would be a reasonable thing to do?

Thanks,

Sandra

Yes, I would allow 90 minutes to the Zoo from the dock. You just get onto the Gateway Motorway (they call it a motorway, but it ain't) and head north, following the signs.

Luckily, you will be going against the main traffic stream in the morning, and again in the afternoon.

You can easily spend a full day at the Zoo, but if you get bored, you can head over to the beaches of the Sunshine Coast ... about 20-30 minutes from the Zoo .

I would allow 2 hours for my return trip ... just to allow for the inevitable breakdowns or prangs that seem to block the highway from time to time.

Hi We will be in Brisbane from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm. We are thinking about renting a car and driving up to the Australia Zoo. I have read that the drive takes a little over an hour. Is that correct?

Do you think it would be a reasonable thing to do?Thanks,Sandra

It will also depend on where your ship will dock,and if they can deliver the car shipside for you.

Good to see that you are spreading your wings all over the forums.

We did Australia zoo on our travels in the van and it was about an hour from Brisbane to Aus Zoo. You will have to allow extra time for rental pickup and peak hour travel but you should be fine. The main show that they do is on at 11.am and 2.oopm so make sure that you try to get there for the 11.oo am to allow time to get back:)

Sandy I have been thinking about you going to Aus Zoo and maybe u should have a look and see if the ship has a tour organized for there. I would be very surprised if they don't. I know they are aways expensive but it is also dear to get into Aus Zoo. I think it was $52 each. (we didn't think it was worth it for us as we have seen all the native animals etc) Add in the cost of fuel and your car rental, cost will be expensive anyway. It is a very commercialized place and every time you turn around someone is there to take a photo! Just like on a ship:cool:

But then you guys will probably love it as most tourists do;) .

Hi Liz - Thanks. We will see what the ship's tours cost to go to the Zoo for sure.

We were thinking that a Nature Walk in the Rainforest or a visit to an actual Nature Conservancy would be better than the Zoo. I found one in Port Douglas, but we should be out diving on the Reef that day. I'll keep looking.

It's a good thing this trip is 5 months away. It will take that long to get all the details sorted out.

Yes, this CC Board is very addicitive, isn't it.

Please do not be turned off Australia Zoo. I think it is a wonderful place to go to see our wildlife. We did not have a problem at all with photographers. Yes, in a couple of places offical photos were taken but we were allowed to take our own at the same time and were not harrassed at all about purchasing their copies. We found it good value for money. Even the food was at shopping mall prices - usually at such places food is way overpriced. Please go and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We disembarked in Brisbane last December and were picked up at the pier by some cruise friends from Brisbane. We went directly from the pier to the Australia Zoo (1 hour), took in the main show, went to all areas and saw other minor shows and were back in their Brisbane home for dinner.

I would say its doable.

Archived