Anchorage Airport Question

billylen

We are disembarking on June 27th in Seward. The the cruise line will transport us by train to the Anchorage airport. We arrive at the airport about noon. Our flight is about 5:30. Are there points of interest near the airport that we can walk to or make a quick trek to see?

The Alaska Aviation Museum is fairly close (walking distance) at Lake Hood. If the weather is good, you might want to take a quick taxi ride to the Millenium Hotel and eat outside on their patio and watch float planes land and take off.

FYI - Lake Hood is the largest float plane base in the United States.

AKSusan had mentioned earlier that you can take a bus from the airport to, I believe, the Visitor or Welcome Center and from there, catch a free bus to something like their zoo. I'm thinking of looking into that, too, since we'll have some spare time at the airport with no car!

AKSusan had mentioned earlier that you can take a bus from the airport to, I believe, the Visitor or Welcome Center and from there, catch a free bus to something like their zoo. I'm thinking of looking into that, too, since we'll have some spare time at the airport with no car!

The Visitor Center is downtown, and the zoo is in the area called south Anchorage. You don't really have time to take public transportation downtown and then all the way out to the zoo (the other side of the airport).

We did a Mt. McKinley flightseeing tour with Rust's Flying Service, which is at the airport. It was our last view of Alaska before flying home. What a great ending to a fabulous vacation!

The Visitor Center is downtown, and the zoo is in the area called south Anchorage. You don't really have time to take public transportation downtown and then all the way out to the zoo (the other side of the airport).

Well, our car needs to be back by noon and our flight is at 7. So we've got a decent amount of time to kill!!

• 1 month later...
We did a Mt. McKinley flightseeing tour with Rust's Flying Service, which is at the airport. It was our last view of Alaska before flying home. What a great ending to a fabulous vacation!

If you happen back on this thread I'd like to have a review/report of this tour. How far did you fly? How close to McKinley? Did you land on a lake?

We've booked with Rust's while we're in Anchorage next month, and it looks great.

Archived