Passport vs. Birth Certificate documents?

Question. Cruise line says a passport is not needed on 5 day Enchantment cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Has anyone cruised recently on this itinerary without a passport without difficulty? Wondering since Cozumel is on the itinerary.

Here is the info from the passport website for "sea travel" :

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

• CURRENTLY:
    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • LATER:
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Here is their website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Not needed until June of 2009, birth certificate and driver's license is fine as long as you are aware that if you run into any difficulties and have to fly home from say Cozumel, it will be more of a hassle not to have one.

Not needed until June of 2009, birth certificate and driver's license is fine as long as you are aware that if you run into any difficulties and have to fly home from say Cozumel, it will be more of a hassle not to have one.

I agree and Cozumel worries me as my sister is not well that is the reason for the cruise. I am going to push her to get the passport because I worry that something will happen while in a different country and it will be such a hassle to fly home without a passport. Since, I fly weekly for business, I see many things happen at the airport in our own country with people without passports. Again, thanks for the quick reply. :)

While passports are always your best bet, and make for the easiest possible travel, the actual truth of the matter is that for this particular itinerary (Enchantment, round trip within the Caribbean and Mexico) US Citizens will never need a US passport. Not now. Not even after June 1, 2009. Until congress rewrites the law, a US Government issued Photo ID and a certified copy of an original Birth Certificate will suffice.

Please see my web page on this matter located here. Included on that page is information straight from the Director of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) addressing how to return home by air in case an emergency comes up.

Theron

I agree and Cozumel worries me as my sister is not well that is the reason for the cruise. I am going to push her to get the passport because I worry that something will happen while in a different country and it will be such a hassle to fly home without a passport. Since, I fly weekly for business, I see many things happen at the airport in our own country with people without passports. Again, thanks for the quick reply. :)

She has plenty of time to get one, I have clients whose turn around time from post office to passports in the mailbox was 11 days. Encourage her to apply asap. The forms are available right online. She can have her picture taken cheaply at Costco, Cvs, etc.

She has plenty of time to get one, I have clients whose turn around time from post office to passports in the mailbox was 11 days. Encourage her to apply asap. The forms are available right online. She can have her picture taken cheaply at Costco, Cvs, etc.

I agree with this:) As the OP's sister is not well, I also suggest travel insurance also.

Archived