Embarking Day-What to do first for a first-timer cruiser?

Piperschic

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice & tips as to what to see & do first the day we arrive. I know it is going to be overwhelming & exciting for us all at the same time. I know there will be so much to see & do, but any tips for us first-timers would be much appreciated!

A month from today I will be on the Caribbean Princess! :)

Soak it all in. If you board early enough, you'll have the ship practically to yourselves. Explore everything, as cyberrat67 has said, and get a feel for the ship. Tour the spa, see the restaurants... make reservations for both. My wife and I took so many pictures in those first few hours. Take in lunch outside. Have a drink of the day and unwind on deck. Bring your bathingsuits etc in carry-on, so that you can go for a swim before your baggage is delivered to the cabin. Talk to crew/staff. Talk to fellow pax. Breathe it all in, you're on a cruise and are going to have a great time! :)

Check out your cabin and made sure it's in order and what you expected. Have an outside Welcome Aboard lunch. Order a fancy drink w/an umbrella in it, kick back, and enjoy the Sail-Away Party. Life doesn't get much better.

Oledave

Congratulations on your first cruise! You're about to have the best vacation experience ever.

Take a change of clothes in your carryon, so that you can immediately change out of the heavier clothes that you travelled in, and change into shorts and a T-shirt.

When you go into your stateroom for the first time, expect it to look smaller than you thought. Through some kind of magic, it gets bigger throughout the week!

Get all the "welcome information" handouts which are in your stateroom and take them with you to the Horizon Court. This is where you can get a buffet lunch. While you're eating, read through the information, especially the daily events paper. Pick out some different activities to do for the rest of the day.

Going on the Spa/Fitness Center tour is usually enjoyable.

Walk all over the ship, both inside and outside. Find where your dining room is and read the dinner menu that will be posted just outside. Walk aimlessly and become impressed with all that the ship has to offer. Take pictures of each other so that you'll have a record of your first day on your first cruise.

Enjoy! :)

Once you get on board, go to your state room, say hi to your cabin steward and let him give you his talk about when and where the muster drill is. Take the pocket guide of the ship that's in your stateroom and go exploring. Make reservations for specialty restaurants and for Anytime dining first thing, so you won't have to worry about it later. Take the spa tour and learn about the latest in cellulite-removing technology, and make your spa appointments for the week. Eat a lot at Horizon Court. And definitely get a fun drink with an umbrella on it and be on an upper deck for sail-away!

Tour the ship. If you want pics of the ship, take them now. I have spent too much time on the last day trying to get pics of the ship without people in some areas. From now on I will do it right away. Go to the spa and ask if they need "models" for the spa tours. You can get a free treatment when you do that. Grab lunch. Go sign up for Scholarship at Sea classes. Then buy your soda sticker, get a fun drink and head to an upper deck for sailaway.

....and on you second and subsesquent cruises maybe you'll do as we do now -- be one of the first to board, do a quick cabin check and ship tour, change into bathing suits and be by the pool with foo foo drink in hand by 1:30 ! :cool:

Archived