Mozzies

We never have been - that's been 4 itineraries in the Med, 2 in Canaries (visiting Morocco), 2 x Baltics and Fjords done at different times of the year - April/June/September/October. Don't know whether warmer spots e.g. Egypt/Greek Islands may be affected.

Other CC's, please help.

Thanks. As we're spending the second week of our holiday in a hotel in Corfu we'll be quite prepared for the mozzies there - armed with 100% deet for our clothes and 50% deet for our bodies, plus our old faithfull Avon SSS - if they dare come near us. We found that we were troubled by them when doing gullet cruises in Turkey, but wondered if they would be so annoying when further out at sea.

Wendy

Here are some tips that I've found useful:

MOSQUITOES- Take Vit B pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them & there are some scientific websites mentioning this now, altho others poo-poo it still. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Vit B1’s effectiveness is lessened thru alcohol. It’s not stored by the body so Holland & Barrett timed release capsules are good. It def works for me & I haven’t had the “golf ball” swellings in 7 hols now! I still carry prescription meds in case. I’d had 4 hols with a few half-hearted bites before reading about B1, so it’s not the placebo effect with me. Some scientists say that blood group “O” is more likely to attract mozzies; that would be me then!

Some people say take yeast pills instead.

Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho. (Mel Gibson used it when filming Braveheart....wonder if he wore anything under his kilt???? Have heard that soldiers also use it!)

Some say get DEET from Boots. I know it’s good but it’s quite toxic (can cause neurological damage) so I try & avoid as I prefer more natural products.

You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £4 each).

Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

Good luck!

You're welcome : )

I didn't suffer on the Spirit in April, but you never know, when you're ashore! I note that Web1948 is spending a week in Corfu too.

If you're sufferer of the "golf ball" syndrome, you'll know it's not a good look! And it's painfull, making you're whole limb ache / stiff. Two bites on the foot in Italy stopped me walking for a day several years ago.

The tips aren't guaranteed to help everyone but it's worth a try.

Thanks for your replies. As we are staying in a hotel in Corfu for the second week of our holidays I had already packed 50% deet for our bodies, 100% deet for our clothing, a plug in and Avon SSS as I know we would be troubled by mozzies then, but all I was wondering was whether or not we would be troubled with them at sea, as we were when we did the gullet cruises in Turkey but then we were closer to the shore.

Only ten more hours and we will be on our way - yippee!!!!

Archived