Grits !!!!

I eat my grits with butter and sugar at home. We have a lady at my company who makes a big pot of cheese grits every morning for us. In April on the Dawn, NCL had biscuts and gravey. I even think they referred to it as "southern style". It wasn't horrible but definitely not what we call southern in Georgia. It's worth trying the grits just to say you have had them.

Have a great cruise.

Love grits. Love cheese grits. Plain grits I use butter and bit of salt. A restaurant we go to at the beach always serves cheese grits with their seafood. Some restaurants call their grits "grits" and should not even be allowed to call them such.

My southern boy husband likes it when I fry his eggs over easy with the yolk still runny, serve with grits and toast. He punctures the yolks, mixes the eggs with the grits and "sops" up the end with the toast. Mind you, I have to keep from gagging as I type this... I don't cook them real often. Eggs are not my favorite thing unless omelette with lots of stuff to kill the egg taste.

He loves biscuits and gravy too and there is nothing like true southern gravy.

Man! I wish I had a biscuit right now - with or without gravy!

Grits are an every day breakfast items that has been served in my family since my ancestors were living in the Southern states as servants. My grandmother would churn butter from cow's milk every morning to put on the grits and sometimes grits are served with fat back grease if there was pork meat or bacon. Quaker Oats make grits. The good ones (not the instant) that is boiled with milk and a little water. Very seldom have I seen grits on a breakfast menu in restaurants my area, but again we live north. I have never tried them on the cruise ship, not sure they are cooked the same, or just the packaged instant grits. This holds try for other foods that I am afraid to try out, like Collard greens, Turnip greens, candied yams, cornbread dressing, black eyed peas, fried corn.......

I'l admit, I'm not a grits fan :eek: . I'm all over every other Southern dish, though, except chitlin's-EWWW. Biscuits and gravy, YUMMMMMM. I prefer sausage gravy, though. Everything is better with bits of pork in it :D

Native Texan here. I can pass on the grits, I love biscuits and gravy, especially sausage gravy. But, if you want a real treat you have to get some chicken and dumplings!

I just have to say AMEN to that.. How could I have forgotten about our beloved Chicken and Dumplins. Ms. Belp..I think I remember you are in Dallas.. Have you ever eaten at that great southern soul food restaurant near downtown, Mother's Daughter?

The only place I have had it was in London.. and I put the clotted cream first, then the jam.. on the crumpet.. Hope that was right.. I always like following local customs..

Speaking of.. If you come to Texas and eat Southern Fried Chicken with a fork and knife.. you have just offended 4/5th of the population.. LOL

If you eat fried chicken with cream gravy without a knife and fork, you have just grossed several people out!

Terry, yep, I'm from Dallas. I must admit I've never tried the restaurant you recommended but I love DC's. He's retired now but still caters to our HPB parties. It's a shame he's retired. I'll have to try your recommendation!

If you eat fried chicken with cream gravy without a knife and fork, you have just grossed several people out!

I might would eat a boneless chicken breast southern fried with gravy.. LOL.. but not like chicken pieces.. I have seen people do it though..

My southern boy husband likes it when I fry his eggs over easy with the yolk still runny, serve with grits and toast. He punctures the yolks, mixes the eggs with the grits and "sops" up the end with the toast.

Damn skippy. That is the way to go, know what I'm having for breakfast today!!:D

I'l admit, I'm not a grits fan :eek: . I'm all over every other Southern dish, though, except chitlin's-EWWW. Biscuits and gravy, YUMMMMMM. I prefer sausage gravy, though. Everything is better with bits of pork in it :D

Don't know if it is still going on, but just in case anyone is interested... Clio, Alabama has (or at least used to) a chitlin festival every year. I have family there and you would not catch me within miles of the place when it is going on.:eek: :eek: :eek:

This holds try for other foods that I am afraid to try out, like

Collard greens, love 'em IF cooked properly

Turnip greens, candied yams, don't care for

cornbread dressing, is there any other kind?

black eyed peas, ok

fried corn Mucho, mucho work involved here, but OMG, when done right, it is to die for

Love the food of the south...

I will be in Birmingham in August for a convention and am looking forward to the Clotted Cream and Scones with Jam.......what's the proper etiquette?

Thanks!

Skynyrd for scones spread the clotted cream (Thickly) on the scone then a dollop of strawberry jam or conserve on top. The pot of tea that should accompany the scones must have been warmed first and loose leaf tea used and stood for 5 minutes.

As your in Birmingham get a ticket to go and see Cadbury's World chocolate factory you get free samples of the chocolate as you walk around the factory.

use these two links

http://www.discountbritain.net/Cadbury-World.html?url=adwords&gclid=CJzx89iKj5QCFQWL1Qodk1sZeg

http://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/en/cworld

Skynyrd for scones spread the clotted cream (Thickly) on the scone then a dollop of strawberry jam or conserve on top. The pot of tea that should accompany the scones must have been warmed first and loose leaf tea used and stood for 5 minutes.

As your in Birmingham get a ticket to go and see Cadbury's World chocolate factory you get free samples of the chocolate as you walk around the factory.

use these two links

http://www.discountbritain.net/Cadbury-World.html?url=adwords&gclid=CJzx89iKj5QCFQWL1Qodk1sZeg

http://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/en/cworld

I've not been exposed to clotted cream, but have seen in for sale in the local World Market. I've picked it up, put it down, picked it back up, etc, but never bought it. Now, I must try it. What is it like?

I've not been exposed to clotted cream, but have seen in for sale in the local World Market. I've picked it up, put it down, picked it back up, etc, but never bought it. Now, I must try it. What is it like?

it is a very dense thick cream which goes well with warm brownies, strawberrys, christmas puddings (although some like brandy butter) etc.

As to what it is like, it is cream when all said and done so tastes like cream but not as light as whipped or pouring cream

Hope you do try it and enjoy

Was raised on grits and eggs and gritts and hog head cheese..

The way I like my grits is to take 2 eggs cooked sunny side up/over easy and break the yolks over the gritts and mix it all up. Good tasting.

Gritts is also good with melted hog head cheese over them as well. Growing up had that many a morning.

Do eat gritts with butter, but no salt. I put salt on nothing as I am not a salt fan.

Gritts is also good with melted hog head cheese over them as well. Growing up had that many a morning.

i always see head cheese in the deli case...but never knew how to eat it. obviously it's a type of deli meat. are there other things you can do to it? can you put it in a sandwich like bologna and the other meats?

Hey, I have an idea.

Let's all meet for lunch - hold the chitlins.

Wish we could. I would so love to meet everyone in person.

I would even cook some good southern grits for you AND fry some okra!

NOW THAT'S A MEET AND GREET RIGHT THERE!

I live in the deep South where grits are THE side item for eggs, bacon, and biscuits (or toast). Most people I know consider hashbrowns to be a northern item on the breakfast menu, but, since my mother was from the north, I sometimes eat hashbrowns instead of grits.. I butter my biscuits, but gravy is also popular.

Born and raised in the north . . . love those hashbrowns.

Many years in the south (military) . . . . . love those grits.

On a real good morning breakfast is sausage, eggs, hashbrowns AND grits.

I have never tried them with sugar and cream. Hmmmmmmm. Nope, not gonna do it. :D

Any "true" southerner (I was raised in FL and TX) knows you only put butter, salt and pepper on grits!!!! It is very difficult to find properly cooked grits in any restaurant north of the Mason/Dixon.

Legalwife, I love eggs & grits the same way you make for your guy. I'm too close to the Mason/Dixon now to get them very often, but I do love me some good grits!!!:D

I will be in Birmingham in August for a convention and am looking forward to the Clotted Cream and Scones with Jam.......what's the proper etiquette?

Thanks!

Sorry the delay in replying - Work gets in the way sometimes. :mad:

In Cornwall, jam goes on first whilst in Devon the cream is first. Most of the rest of the country follows the Devonions.

There's a good page to look up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A649235

Hey, I have an idea.

Let's all meet for lunch - hold the chitlins.

Wish we could. I would so love to meet everyone in person.

I would even cook some good southern grits for you AND fry some okra!

We are TOTALLY in.. Can we also have good ol' Souther Chicken Fried Steak covered in gravy?

I'll bring my Mama's good ol' Banana Pudding. She has passed now.. but I think I make it almost as good as she did.

My DP just said it is a deal if you will throw in some fried squash with the fried okra..

It is so funny reading these posts.. Like I have said..I am born and raised Texan... My mother would fry every thing. I swear to this day if you fried a shoe i would eat it. You would think I would have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, clogged veins... but as far as all of that goes.. Perfect cholerstol, perfect blood pressure and clear veins.

Don't know if it is still going on, but just in case anyone is interested... Clio, Alabama has (or at least used to) a chitlin festival every year. I have family there and you would not catch me within miles of the place when it is going on.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm soooo lucky that neither one of my parents were chitlin's fans. I didn't come in contact with chitlin's being cooked until I was in my 20's. SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL, that was a gross smell :eek: .

We are TOTALLY in.. Can we also have good ol' Souther Chicken Fried Steak covered in gravy?

YES

I'll bring my Mama's good ol' Banana Pudding. She has passed now.. but I think I make it almost as good as she did.

Love mama's banana pudding. Ummm Umm GOOD

My DP just said it is a deal if you will throw in some fried squash with the fried okra..

MS Belp LOVES her fried Okra

Perfect cholerstol, perfect blood pressure and clear veins.

Me too :)

Archived