Grits !!!!

I'm soooo lucky that neither one of my parents were chitlin's fans. I didn't come in contact with chitlin's being cooked until I was in my 20's. SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL, that was a gross smell :eek: .

Lucky me too. No one in my family eats the nasty stuff. In over 50 years, I've yet to have had the displeasure of even smelling it, but I have had it described to me..:eek: :eek: :eek:

It's my understanding that it is not a private thing as the cooking smell will be shared with all of your neighbors.

As for lunch, I'll bring a big ole pot of boiled peanuts as an appetizer...

Lucky me too. No one in my family eats the nasty stuff. In over 50 years, I've yet to have had the displeasure of even smelling it, but I have had it described to me..:eek: :eek: :eek:

It's my understanding that it is not a private thing as the cooking smell will be shared with all of your neighbors.

As for lunch, I'll bring a big ole pot of boiled peanuts as an appetizer...

I prefer peanuts in my Coke :)

I forgot about the boiled peanuts. Most people I meet think I am crazy. South Carolina has the best refrigerated boiled peanuts in a brown paper bag. There is a Shell station on "20" leading into Camden and Black River Road. Stop at the station, get your peanuts and then head up the hill to Belk's. Of course the bags of peanuts come back on the plane because you won't find them in Chicago.

I forgot about the boiled peanuts. Most people I meet think I am crazy. South Carolina has the best refrigerated boiled peanuts in a brown paper bag. There is a Shell station on "20" leading into Camden and Black River Road. Stop at the station, get your peanuts and then head up the hill to Belk's. Of course the bags of peanuts come back on the plane because you won't find them in Chicago.

Can't beat the goobers :) While we're cursed with the chitlin festival, we are blessed with a peanut festival about 90 miles away. Very popular :D

If you can get raw peanuts, they're very easy to make, just time consuming.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville, FL

everyone in my family love cheese grits with crunched up bacon and scrambled eggs all mixed together.

I dont know if yall up north have Krystals but we do and they have these things called scramblers oh hellz yeah!!

its a southern thing I guess but yall can have your cream of wheat with jelly and all that other non sense

This reminds me of a time when I was on a cruise and I got myself some grits and bacon and scrambled eggs of course

I sit down to eat and all of a sudden A lady sits next to me and in her strong Boston accent she says what in the world are you eating I said Grits then she said I dont know how you eat that stuff.

I look over she is eating salmon and a bagel I was like oh my god and your talking about what I am eating. LOL

i always see head cheese in the deli case...but never knew how to eat it. obviously it's a type of deli meat. are there other things you can do to it? can you put it in a sandwich like bologna and the other meats?

You can eat Hog Head Cheese by itself, on a cracker or as you suggested on a sandwich.

Personally I perfer to eat it by itself and next would be melted into my grits.

When I was growing up we had 3 families making Hog Head Cheese commerically within a block and a half of our home. Best was our next door neighbor.

it is a very dense thick cream which goes well with warm brownies, strawberrys, christmas puddings (although some like brandy butter) etc.

As to what it is like, it is cream when all said and done so tastes like cream but not as light as whipped or pouring cream

Hope you do try it and enjoy

Sounds better than butter. Have raspberry jam and biscuits on hand (close as I can come to scones), so I just need to pick up the clotted cream and I'll be good to go. Sounds really yummy.

OMG, that really takes me back!!:D Love the stuff, but the coke has to be in a bottle, no cans here :p

:eek: NO,no,no........

Not Coke......only Royal Crown Cola accommodates the peanut respectfully................Sheesh!!:p

Sounds better than butter. Have raspberry jam and biscuits on hand (close as I can come to scones), so I just need to pick up the clotted cream and I'll be good to go. Sounds really yummy.

Imagine, if you will, the richest, most luxurious cream cheese imaginable....with the very highest butterfat and the creamiest texture......

Now, imagine that it has the flavor of a slightly sweetened whipped cream and is spreadable.......

:o Doesn't get any better than that, unless you have some strawberry preserves on hand.................Oh, yum!

:eek: NO' date='no,no........

Not Coke......only Royal Crown Cola accommodates the peanut respectfully................Sheesh!!:p[/quote']

Oh, but you are sooo wrong. It is coke and peanuts. The only thing that goes with an RC cola is a moon pie, silly girl :p

Imagine' date=' if you will, the richest, most luxurious cream cheese imaginable....with the very highest butterfat and the creamiest texture......

Now, imagine that it has the flavor of a slightly sweetened whipped cream and is spreadable.......

:o Doesn't get any better than that, unless you have some strawberry preserves on hand.................Oh, yum![/quote']

I'm excited about trying it now. When I came across it, it looked interesting to me. Kept going back to look, but did not buy. Think the fact that it was not in the refridgerated section, and being cream, got the better of me so I just walked away. It goes in the cart from here on out.

You guys will never believe this happened today after the discussions we have been having about clotted cream.. I work with a VERY sweet lady from Iran.. She and I love to share our "foods" with each other. If I make a very Southern dish, I take her some.. and she, almost every day, brings me something she had made that is native to her home country. This morning when she came in she told me she brought me something that wasn't really native to her home country but they eat a lot of it there and wanted to bring me some.. It was a WHOLE container of clotted cream and a jar of rasberry jam and the most wonderful toast squares.. I did share some of it with my fellow workers, but I am VERY sure I gained 10 lbs today.. LOL

You guys will never believe this happened today after the discussions we have been having about clotted cream.. I work with a VERY sweet lady from Iran.. She and I love to share our "foods" with each other. If I make a very Southern dish, I take her some.. and she, almost every day, brings me something she had made that is native to her home country. This morning when she came in she told me she brought me something that wasn't really native to her home country but they eat a lot of it there and wanted to bring me some.. It was a WHOLE container of clotted cream and a jar of rasberry jam and the most wonderful toast squares.. I did share some of it with my fellow workers, but I am VERY sure I gained 10 lbs today.. LOL

oh, you suck (just kidding). I'm just jealous..:(

That was very sweet of her and look forward to enjoying this myself in the near future.

Archived