Grits !!!!

It seems to me from reading these threads, that the food, particurally breakfast, has an American slant, even on the ships cruising Europe.

I have heard of Grits, and look forward to trying them.:p

Now, on this side of the pond we have oatmeal porridge. The thing is we have different ways of serving it. In Ireland and most of England we like cream and sugar, or even honey on our porridge, whilst the Scots like salt on theirs.

I have heard Grits should be served with butter and salt, but are there different ways of serving in different states ? Can I put sugar on mine ???

And what are biscuits and gravy ? Over here biscuits are what you call cookies, and gravy is what you serve with Sundy lunch.

I have heard Grits should be served with butter and salt, but are there different ways of serving in different states ? Can I put sugar on mine ???

Grits are usually served with butter but I've had them all kinds of ways; with cinnamon, with sugar, with milk, pretty much whatever you like. Enjoy!

We eat our grits with butter and salt but I have heard of eating them with sugar and cream. I live in the deep South where grits are THE side item for eggs, bacon, and biscuits (or toast). Most people I know consider hashbrowns to be a northern item on the breakfast menu, but, since my mother was from the north, I sometimes eat hashbrowns instead of grits.. I butter my biscuits, but gravy is also popular.

Normally grits is eaten with butter and salt. That is how I eat them. However, I know a lot of people that add cheddar cheese.

Grits are not much different from polenta. Grits are wetter and the grind of polenta is a bit finer. They are both cooked ground corn.

Derek.. I'm from Texas.. born and raised Texan.. and I eat my Oatmeal (Irish Steel Cut), my Cream of Wheat and my Grits with butter, salt and sugar (I use a sweetner..usually the blue or yellow stuff).

Biscutts and gravy.. OH MY GOD.. you need to try some good biscuts and gravy.. not what they will have on the ship.. but the good stuff like you can only get here in the south. I am a bit of an odd Southern, but I don't like sausage gravy, but just regular gravy.. The same as sausage gravy but without the sausage. Biscutts and gravy are simular to how you Britts have your Yorkshire puddings with the pan gravy poured over them but the biscutts are a different texture and weight.

My dad likes sugar on his grits, but I like them well salted and with a little pool of melted butter on top. :D DW does not like grits, so she goes for the oatmeal (porridge) and likes warm milk and brown sugar on it. A couple of times on cruises when she asked for brown sugar, the server brought brown paper packets of … white sugar.

Derek - Go HERE to see info on biscuits and gravy. They're a Southern US delicacy!
Good-looking link! :)

Biscutts and gravy are simular to how you Britts have your Yorkshire puddings with the pan gravy poured over them but the biscutts are a different texture and weight.

Your biscuits are like our scones, but without the fruit. I had biscuits and sausage gravy at a chain restaurant in the US, it was bloody awful, I guess a smaller restaurant or a homemade equivalent might fare a little better.

Wow - I'm getting hungry, and still six weeks to go.

With a 14 day cruise I will have to try with butter,salt,cheese,sugar,milk. :D, but not at the same time :rolleyes:

Then come over to Texas next year to try your biscuits and gravy

Cheers

caspmorn, i am from the San Francisco area and i just tried Grits for the first time and u are correct they taste alot like polenta yummmy.

Sea hound, u are killing me, i LOVE biscuits and gravy any way i can get them Sausage or no Sausage yummmo. They are kinnda hard to find out here in the San Frsncisco area, so i have to try and make them myself. Can of biscuits and packet of gravy. Not as good as the real stuff.

minimom:) :) :)

Your biscuits are like our scones, but without the fruit. I had biscuits and sausage gravy at a chain restaurant in the US, it was bloody awful, I guess a smaller restaurant or a homemade equivalent might fare a little better.

Oh yeah Jimmy.. FOR SURE you won't get as good in a restaurant as you will get in a good Southern home.

You Britts have something I LOVE.. Clotted Cream with scones or with crumpets and then a dollop of jam.... OH MY GOD.. HEAVEN

Derek.. Let us know when you are coming to Texas.. I will make sure you get good biscutts and gravy. 8-)

You Britts have something I LOVE.. Clotted Cream with scones or with crumpets and then a dollop of jam.... OH MY GOD.. HEAVEN

Yes - Clotted cream and jam on scones = Yummmmmmy

It's VERY important to follow local custom. In some counties cream goes on first, whilst in others the jam goes on first.:o

"hey, lemme aks you somethin'. what exactly is a grit?"

mycousinvinny.jpg

"How do you like your grits? Creamy, regular or al dente?"

"Do the laws of physics change in your kitchen? It takes the rest of the civilized world 20 minutes to cook grits and in your kitchen it only takes 5 minutes?"

Gad, I LOVE this movie.

I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Grits and biscuits and gravy were not something I had ever heard of. I remember a trip to Florida and grits being on the breakfast plate. Maybe they were't very good because I didn't try them again for years.

After college I moved to New Mexico, met and married a woman born in Illinois and raised in Colorado. I have now become fully aware of the joys of grits and biscuits and gravy. My wife has even needed to learn to make gluten-free biscuits and gravy. It took some practice but she's got it down. There was no way she was giving up one of her favorites.

I use maple syrup on my grits too, but not butter. My wife sometimes puts jelly on hers and will cook them with cheese as a side dish for dinner.

caspmorn, i am from the San Francisco area and i just tried Grits for the first time and u are correct they taste alot like polenta yummmy.

Sea hound, u are killing me, i LOVE biscuits and gravy any way i can get them Sausage or no Sausage yummmo. They are kinnda hard to find out here in the San Frsncisco area, so i have to try and make them myself. Can of biscuits and packet of gravy. Not as good as the real stuff.

minimom:) :) :)

Gcjstri when I and my DW honeymooned in Calafornia we stayed at Cedar Lodge just outside Yosimite National Park and I had my first taste of sausage gravy with an outstanding breakfast at Cedar Lodge (Loved it)and french toast with sugar :eek: (this was wrong as French toast is also called gypsy bread and we English do not normally have sugar and or jam on it).

But I do think the Americans idea for maple syrup on bacon is great

So if you need you can just pop down to Yosimite Park for breakfast one day :-) sure it is not that far!

It's VERY important to follow local custom. In some counties cream goes on first, whilst in others the jam goes on first.:o

The only place I have had it was in London.. and I put the clotted cream first, then the jam.. on the crumpet.. Hope that was right.. I always like following local customs..

Speaking of.. If you come to Texas and eat Southern Fried Chicken with a fork and knife.. you have just offended 4/5th of the population.. LOL

"How do you like your grits? Creamy' date=' regular or al dente?"

"Do the laws of physics change in your kitchen? It takes the rest of the civilized world 20 minutes to cook grits and in your kitchen it only takes 5 minutes?"

Gad, I LOVE this movie.[/quote']

LOL . . . classic. "Now these two jutes . . ." "Two what?"

My college roommate was from Alabama. During one Christmas break I was visiting with another classmate from Michigan. We were served grits for breakfast, which was no surprise. But the lad from Michigan was totally perplexed and proceeded to put sugar on his grits, evidently a major breach of protocol in Butler County, Alabama. It was even reported in the local paper.

I have to admit that we were pretty surprised to see grits on the Dream. I never could have imagined eating grits in Finland.

GRITS--girls raised in the South

I will be in Birmingham in August for a convention and am looking forward to the Clotted Cream and Scones with Jam.......what's the proper etiquette?

Thanks!

Archived