Snorkeling questions

patches12

Hi all, I will be snorkeling for the first time. I have everything but a life vest already purchased. I am hoping I can rent the vests. Cheapest vests I found were $25.00 each plus shipping x 3 people. Is that a good price?

How do I know if I got decent fins (snorkel quality, not dive quality)? Should they be hard plastic-like, or hard rubber, or flexible rubber? Mine have the straps in back; not whole foot.

Also, I have to wear swim shoes with my fins because I have this thing about my feet touching things like the bottom of the ocean walking in to snorkel. I will put my fins on when I get in the water. Anyway, I bought some size 5-8 fins and my shoe size is a 7. I cannot get the swim shoe into the swim fin while it is on my foot. I have to put the swim shoe INSIDE the fin then shove my foot into it. Very uncomfortable! Shoe wrinkles and pinches my foot. Should I get the larger size swim fin which is size 9-11? Cruise is in a few days. Tried to find booties or socks that would work, but now it is too late to order. What is a good price for cheap neoprene socks or booties? Will never be a diver, just a snorkeler.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi all, I will be snorkeling for the first time. I have everything but a life vest already purchased. I am hoping I can rent the vests. Cheapest vests I found were $25.00 each plus shipping x 3 people. Is that a good price?

How do I know if I got decent fins (snorkel quality, not dive quality)? Should they be hard plastic-like, or hard rubber, or flexible rubber? Mine have the straps in back; not whole foot.

Also, I have to wear swim shoes with my fins because I have this thing about my feet touching things like the bottom of the ocean walking in to snorkel. I will put my fins on when I get in the water. Anyway, I bought some size 5-8 fins and my shoe size is a 7. I cannot get the swim shoe into the swim fin while it is on my foot. I have to put the swim shoe INSIDE the fin then shove my foot into it. Very uncomfortable! Shoe wrinkles and pinches my foot. Should I get the larger size swim fin which is size 9-11? Cruise is in a few days. Tried to find booties or socks that would work, but now it is too late to order. What is a good price for cheap neoprene socks or booties? Will never be a diver, just a snorkeler.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

I'll give it a shot:

Cheapest vests I found were $25.00 each plus shipping x 3 people. Is that a good price?

Yes, this is a very good price. Just be aware if you're snorkeling on an excursion they will in all likelihood provide these. If you're on your own, they probably won't be available. Also in the ocean, even I float so they are only needed for your comfort.

For snorkeling it really doesn't matter that much. As long as they fit you'll be fine. Dive fins typically will have more fin area than snorkel fins but either will work snorkeling.

Sounds like you have an issue with your swim shoe being too broad to fit in the fin pocket. You can try a larger size but I'm afraid it might be too big of fin. An alternative is to get a thick pair of gym socks and wear them in the pocket (or two pair if you don't have any thick ones). They'll definitely soak up some water but shouldn't impact you snorkeling. Plus thick socks will protect you from anything lurking in the sand. You can find them cheap enough and like you said it's probably too late to get some neoprene socks but they both work the same.

Don't worry about not being a diver, we'll like you anyway. :p

Randall

I agree with scubaran in that your fins are not the right size for your shoes. The fins should fit snug but not tight or pinching. That will lead to a really bad experience. Use the heavy socks if nothing else works. The cruise ship will have some equipment aboard that they will gladly sell you. They also will have a scuba dive instructor aboard who can help you with your questions. He/she helps snorkelers as well as scuba divers.

If you go with a snorkeling excursion particularly from some kind of water craft, they will have vests for you to use and will insist you use theirs. The reason for this is that theirs are marked in some way so they can identify their pax in the water. They do not want to leave anyone behind!

I would recommend that you put on your snorkeling equipment and check it out in the ship's pool. The ship's scuba instructor is there to offer assistance.

Have a great trip and yes we scuba divers do like snorkelers even if you stay on top of the surface :D

OK. I thought about returning the size I have and getting the next size up. They seem to work with my water shoes on. I shake my foot back and forth and it doesn't wiggle at all. The size I have now is perfect without water shoes, but too tight with them. I guess I will get the larger size so I can wear shoes with them. They didn't cost that much so if I have to get new ones later when I can get dive boots it will be fine. Thanks gang!

Hi again Patches. You will definitely need something on your feet in Dominica. I second the advice to wear thick socks. Just wear flip flops or something like that to the beach, change into the socks, walk into the water and don your fins. Practice in the pool on the ship, as you need a certain amount of balance unless you sit at the waters edge and put your fins on. You will be required to wear vests on any commercial excursions, you don't have to blow them up, but you do have to wear them. Many beaches that rent snorkel equipment also rent vests. As Scubaran said, you will most likely float like a cork in the Caribbean, so a vest is only necessary for your personal comfort and peace of mind. Have a great time on the Destiny, we sure did!

One of the points covered but not specifically addressed is fresh water buoyancy versus sea water buoyancy. Sea water contains salt (lovely tasting BTW) which increases your buoyancy. While you may have trouble floating in fresh water, you will find that you float quite well in sea water.

Scuba divers wear lead weights to compensate for their equipment and natural body buoyancy. The amount we wear in fresh water is less than what we wear in salt water due to the buoyancy caused by the salt in the water.

Check it out

Archived