Warning on NZ Fair Go Programme

Doubt this would have made it to Aussie shores, but this is a story about a NZ couple who booked through an online Australian TA, paid their money, P&O overbooked and they never got to cruise. (Just watch the first 20 seconds or so of ads - couldn't do anything about that). Made me very thankful that we were booked on the same cruise by the same online TA and all went well. Leave people to draw their own conclusions, but I know for a fact this cruise was overbooked as we were offered various incentives by P&O to change cabins etc.

Just how you go to protect yourself and ensure that your TA has actually passed on your money in a timely manner to ensure you're on a cruise ... who knows, welcome any suggestions.

FYI Fair Go is a NZ consumer advocate programme - this screened last night.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1885869

Love to hear what others think.

Jo

Thanks Jo,

I watched the clip. My comments:

I believe some cruises might be over-booked and the cruiseline counts on a predicted number of cancellations. This is probably the practice with most cruise lines.

We do not know if the TA forwarded the money to P & O on time, but it is probably a mistake on either the TA's behalf or P & O.

From the clip, it looks as if the couple did eventually get a full refund.

From what I have seen, in an overbooking situation, there is usually a full refund plus a large credit towards a future cruise.

Additionally, passengers are usually given the option whether they want to accept the compensation offered and agree to be 'bumped'. What is unfortunate here, if that probably from someone else's mistake, this couple were not given an option, and also have not received additional compensation.

Thanks Jo,

I watched the clip. My comments:

I believe some cruises might be over-booked and the cruiseline counts on a predicted number of cancellations. This is probably the practice with most cruise lines.

We do not know if the TA forwarded the money to P & O on time, but it is probably a mistake on either the TA's behalf or P & O.

From the clip, it looks as if the couple did eventually get a full refund.

From what I have seen, in an overbooking situation, there is usually a full refund plus a large credit towards a future cruise.

Additionally, passengers are usually given the option whether they want to accept the compensation offered and agree to be 'bumped'. What is unfortunate here, if that probably from someone else's mistake, this couple were not given an option, and also have not received additional compensation.

Having watched the whole segment it appears the TA was at fault NOT D..n U...... Cruising

Having watched the entire clip, they were no so badly treated.

If you want an interesting story about a couple having their first 'real' holiday in 10 years of marriage ruined by a T/A’s incorrect advise and an airline that will take your money and accept no responsibility, then ask me, we were unceremoniously shafted!

They were not treated so badly.

Hi there,

I didn't see Fair Go the other night but as I am going on a cruise on 23/7 everyone at work told me about it. I have just watched it now. Seems to me that the TA stuffed that one right up. Funny that they asked for full payment (when it had been three months earlier) and then came up with the story to blame P&O!!

At least we are totally confirmed :)

Trish

Seems to me that the TA stuffed that one right up.

The phone conversation with the TA was recorded illegally, and typical TV show, did not include the whole story, and the correct information.

Having dealt with the NZ Fair Go laws many times previously, they are very unreasonable and the majoriy of the time pretty toothless.

JMO

Anthony

I am here to stick up for the TA. We are currently dealing with the TA in question. We have found them to be wonderful to deal with and great with communication. I have emailed the TA several times with crazy questions and i have NEVER found them to be rude or unprofessional.

I also know of other people that have cruised with this company and they have had a wonderful trip/s. I dont believe that it is fair to believe what has been cut and pasted to make a story in the media. You have to remember that there is always 2 sides to every story and unfortunatley there is only 1 side of this story being told.

Cheers,

Kirsten

I have always booked directly with P & O, however, for our next cruise on PD W829 decided to use a T/A in Brisbane (which just happens to be the one in question) and apart from a much better fare I can't speak too highly of the way they have handled our booking. Nothing has been too much bother.

We actually live in north east Victoria (a long way from Brisbane) and everything has been done over the internet with a minimum of fuss. In fact I am so pleased with their service that I am are about to pay our deposit on PD W915 next May.

Long live our T/A!

Roy

We were asked by P&O if we were prepared to get off cruise 822. For personal reason we declined the offer but we were offered alternative dates for the cruise we had booked, a free cruise and on board credits.

At no time were we pressured to say yes to the offer and the staff member I talked to was very polite. Had we been able to take up the offer we would have certainly let ourselves be 'bumped' given we got another cruise for free.

So yes there are 2 sides to the story and until you are in the position it is all hearsay.

The phone conversation with the TA was recorded illegally, and typical TV show, did not include the whole story, and the correct information.

JMO

Anthony

Seems NZ law may be different. Even here it is no longer illegal to record a phone conversation, as long as ONE of the parties knows about it. The recording cannot be used as evidence in court.

I would think any discussion you make with the media is not confidential anyway. Regardless of voice recording, they can still recant your conversation or even print your words in the paper.

The couple has made their payment, and there is a dispute between T\A and Carnival as to whether payment was forwarded to Carnival. In a sense, they were not bumped from the cruise, as they were never confirmed onto it. The generous compensation for being voluntarily bumped will not apply to this couple.

There are 3 sides to the story, with only one fully told - but the T\A and P&O responses were both quoted.

A nice wrap up to the story............

On last nights Fair Go TV programme, the couple featured again,but this time were introduced to a NZ Travel Agent who had seen the story, and decided to help them out by giving them a free 7 day cruise .He also suggested that next time they booked it would be better to book through a regular local agent , with whom they could communicate, rather than an overseas internet agency.

Can't help feeling it was more in the line of advertising for the agent than helping the couple out.:confused: :rolleyes:

Archived