Language on Cruise and Hotels near Panama City

I am doing the southern caribbean out of Colon, Panama in January on Enchantment. It looks like this is focused on Central American cruisers. I don't speak Spanish very well, so I hope the annoucements and such are translated into English as well. Does anyone know if this is typical?

Also, we will try and come in a day early and then do the cruiseline transfer from the airport in Panama City. Are there any decent hotels (a courtyard or like) close to the airport?

Thanks

All announcements on immersion cruises are in the local language and English. Some comedy shows, trivia games and quizzes may get lost in translation. In the lectures and health club, they are all bi-lingual and usually ask what language people speak at the beginning. The staff try very hard to cope with all possibilities.

I can't answer the second question.

I am doing the southern caribbean out of Colon, Panama in January on Enchantment. It looks like this is focused on Central American cruisers. I don't speak Spanish very well, so I hope the annoucements and such are translated into English as well. Does anyone know if this is typical?

Also, we will try and come in a day early and then do the cruiseline transfer from the airport in Panama City. Are there any decent hotels (a courtyard or like) close to the airport?

Thanks

If you are doing air and a pre-cruise hotel package through RCI, then they will meet you at the airport, transfer you to the hotel and then transfer you to the port.

If you are doing your own air with an RCI hotel, then you must get to the hotel on your own, but transfers will be included from hotel to port.

If you are doing your own air and your own hotel...........then you must get from airport to hotel to port on your own.

We are doing this cruise in early December, and had hoped to take the Panama Canal train service over to Colon. Unfortunately, that train service doesn't run on the weekends. We'll be staying in Panama City for a couple of nights, but Colon is not a place that you want (or need!) to hang out in. It's apparently about a 2 hour trip to Colon. We've contacted RCI about transportation but so far nobody knows anything. I assume that as we get closer they'll figure something out. You can't fly into Colon; Panama City has the only international airport, so I figure they'll line up a bus. You might check the Meet and Mingle threads to see if there's one started for your trip.

We're looking forward to a new itinerary and to seeing how an immersion cruise differs from the standard. I don't expect any difficulties with language; there'll be plenty of English, I expect. And if not -- we speak Spanish, so no problems. Enjoy your trip!

Actually, even if you book your own hotel and air, you can purchase and meet RCI's transfers at the airport on the embarkation day.

This must be something new.............because it has never worked this way in the past.

A friend of ours had book this cruise for next March. RCI notified them it was going to be an "emersion cruise" and was offering to let them change their booking. I don't know if all of the cruises out of Colon are emersion cruises, but I don't believe they all are. In any event it will be the same crew and I'm sure English will be readily available.

Archived