Valparaiso to Buenos Aires:Which Side of Ship?

maggie3

We will be sailing in February on the Radiance from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. At first I thought we should book our balcony cabin on the port side of the ship, so that we could enjoy land views from our balcony as we sail along. But I have noticed on the map of our itinerary that the ship sails quite far from land for most of the cruise. It appears that when the ship gets close to land, as in Valparaiso to La Serena, Punta Arenas to Ushuaia to Cape Horn, and Punta del Este to Montevideo to Buenos Aires, the starboard side of the ship faces land. Though this is the first year RCCL will sail his route, I believe this is the same route the Infinity has sailed for a few years, so I am hoping previous Celebrity clients can please advise on which side of the ship we should choose our balcony cabin? This is not the route that goes to the Falklands. Will we be going by any glaciers during daylight hours? On this itinerary, on which side of the ship would we have more opportunities for glacier views? We really will be grateful for input from previous Infinity cruisers.

Hi Maggie3:

I am not a prior Infinity cruiser however I think I have found a way to answer that same question for myself.

On my last cruise, 14 day Med. last month, I had an aft cabin.

It was perfect and I could see both sides.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Maggie, I haven't been on RCCL or Celebrity, but I have cruised in this part of the world this past Jan/Feb. At that time there was one tidewater glacier remaining of the 5 in Glacier Alley. All 5 glaciers including the one tidewater one were on the North shore, or the port side of the ship traveling from west to east. Also, there is a shipwreck in the channel which we also passed on the port side. Hope this is helpful, Debbie

Hi Maggie,

My DH and I sailed on Azamara Journey last January from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Our cabin was on the port side, and that's definitely the side you want. We always enjoy watching the ship come into port, and seeing what's going on on the dock. You'll also have a fabulous view of the glaciers. Enjoy your trip!!

Barbara

We will be sailing in February on the Radiance from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. At first I thought we should book our balcony cabin on the port side of the ship, so that we could enjoy land views from our balcony as we sail along. .

Defintely port. We had starboard on the other direction. The Chilean glaciers will be on the port side for you. It was pouring when we cruised past and we were able to enjoy it from our balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

Port it will be then. Can past cruisers on this route please advise whether we will go by the glaciers in daylight? Somewhere in my readings, I thought I read the ships going this direction (west to east) pass the glaciers in the middle of the night.

we did this on a princess ship and we sailed through the beagle channel from 6:30 am to 9. we got up and saw the glaciers on the port side from our balcony.

the ship also went to glaciers during the day and turned around so everyone could see in southern chili. during the morning.

so I would say it just depends on the ship.

it was very cool and it rained a few days --we went the first two weeks in feb. take rain gear, gloves, fleece layers and hats. warm boots. best shopping was in chili.

Port it will be then. Can past cruisers on this route please advise whether we will go by the glaciers in daylight? Somewhere in my readings, I thought I read the ships going this direction (west to east) pass the glaciers in the middle of the night.

The BEST place to watch the glaciers is from the hot tub. Take a robe or a cover up, as it is d**** cold when you get out. But gather your friends, get some champagne and enjoy the glaciers. One of my best experiences on SA cruises (and I have been on two around the Horn).

• 2 weeks later...
We will be sailing in February on the Radiance from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. At first I thought we should book our balcony cabin on the port side of the ship, so that we could enjoy land views from our balcony as we sail along. But I have noticed on the map of our itinerary that the ship sails quite far from land for most of the cruise.

We will be sailing westward from Rio to Valparaiso and then onward to Seattle in March/April. Would I assume that starboard would be the preferred viewing side for around the Horn & the Chilean Fjords?

We had starboard on the other direction. The Chilean glaciers will be on the port side for you. It was pouring when we cruised past and we were able to enjoy it from our balcony.

Were you able to use your balcony? Would you recommend it over a regular oceanview stateroom for travel in March/April?

TIA for any responses.

We will be sailing westward from Rio to Valparaiso and then onward to Seattle in March/April. Would I assume that starboard would be the preferred viewing side for around the Horn & the Chilean Fjords?

Were you able to use your balcony? Would you recommend it over a regular oceanview stateroom for travel in March/April?

TIA for any responses.

Starboard side with be the preferred location if you are traveling from Rio to Valparaiso and then north to Seattle. You will have a great view of Cape Horn from the starboard side of the ship. When we sailed around the Horn, the Captain actually stopped and then rotated the ship around a couple of times so that everyone got to see Cape Horn. The Chilean Fjords are truly amazing.

We sailed in March-April of this year, but we sailed Valparaiso to Santos. Weather was cool after we left Valparaiso but got warmer as we sailed up towards BA.

The further south you go the cooler it will get. We had a balcony cabin and used it quite a lot.............we just wore fleece jackets and it was fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Starboard side with be the preferred location if you are traveling from Rio to Valparaiso and then north to Seattle. You will have a great view of Cape Horn from the starboard side of the ship. When we sailed around the Horn, the Captain actually stopped and then rotated the ship around a couple of times so that everyone got to see Cape Horn. The Chilean Fjords are truly amazing.

We sailed in March-April of this year, but we sailed Valparaiso to Santos. Weather was cool after we left Valparaiso but got warmer as we sailed up towards BA. The further south you go the cooler it will get. We had a balcony cabin and used it quite a lot.............we just wore fleece jackets and it was fine.

cruisenfever, I really appreciate your detailed response with just the info I need. We were hesitant on the balcony so I'm thrilled to know that you put it to good use. As someone wiser than me once said....there's no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.;) Thanks!

• 2 years later...

We're sailing on Celebrity Infinity early Jan. from Buenos Aires to Valpariso...any suggestions as to what the better side of the ship would be for our balcony? How's the weather during that time of the year? Any advice on penguin sightings/excursions?

Never travelled that part of the world...thanks for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Did 4 weeks Infinity this past March, BA to FtL with an aft cabin. The Chilian fjords (glaciers) came late in evening and were best from starboard. Going other direction (Valpo to BA) port side would be best. Heard that the fjords were done in the night west to east but not sure. Otherwise most of the crusing done away from shore some distance.

Archived