Luggage Shipping Services

AZMembergs

While very convenient, it is very costly.

Checking one of the services Peter Greenberg recommends for 2 Medium and 1 large suitcase, the cost would be about $156 one way. If you subtract US Air's baggage fees, that brings it down to about $100. I would pay that much not to have to hassle with my bags on both ends of the flight.

Returning from abroad, I could put up with the hassle.

-Barry

Those prices must be for within the US. When I checked, the prices to ship to Europe, prices ended up being about $400 to $450 for a 50 pound bag each way. You could almost by an extra ticket for just the bag for that price. And then you have to worry if customs in that country will delay delivery. Also Celebrity does not accept shipped luggage so you would have to make arrangements to have it shipped to your hotel or arrange for pick up in the county.

Don't know if anything has changed, but I've looked into this a couple of times. Most recent was about a year ago when we were planning on about 10 days pre-cruise traveling through the UK prior to continuing on to Barcelona for a Mediterranean cruise. Didn't want to lug our luggage in planes, trains and automobiles. Especially since the "excess" luggage fee for a flight from Scotland to Barcelona was more than the ticket even on a prepaid basis. But the cost was significant and not nearly close enough for us to give it much thought. So we lugged around and it worked out fine, if not a hassle now and then.

While these services sound very convenient, the price really isn't in the same ballpark as the $25 or $50 fees charged by the US based airlines.

While these services sound very convenient, the price really isn't in the same ballpark as the $25 or $50 fees charged by the US based airlines.

But why pay for the "privilege" for the airlines to lose your bags. They used to do this for free. ;)

--Barry

I have toyed with the idea of doing this but my plans are too complicated. I am flying from the UK to join Millennium in Auckland and then doing the 14 nighter to Sydney. Flying to Singapore initally for a 2 night stop then 2 nights pre cruise in Auckland.

My problem is that I am extending my holiday to just over 8 weeks in Perth Australia after the cruise finishes.

Singapore Airlines have a £29 Per kilo excess baggage allowance. In the end it was going to be too expensive to ship the bags and I would have had to really sent them to Perth. I have decided that I will manage within the 20k = 5k extra they are going to allow me as I have some medical needs to bring along. Weight approx 1K but they have said they will allow me this. I also need to carry a Dr's letter in case there is any query about the amount of medication I will also need to bring.

I will be able to wash things in Perth and I will now that they have changed the informal to smart casual bring less evening wear. Forget the 13 pairs of shoes and extra evening bags etc. Just pare it back with everything.

Prior to this I will be flying out to Venice with a low cost Airline jet2 and this is for an earlier cruise on the 27 th August on Summit. The allowance is only 17K but the excess is only £6 per K so I will just take what I want and happily pay whatever it costs.

Wish things were different but as you say losing your bags is the last thing I want to happen. Lost bags twice but following the cruise but live in fear of losing them pre cruise.

Sue

Well, Princess has beaten everybody to the punch, As of last December, 1- 50 lb suite case delivered to your cabin is $125 one way, most likly $150 today.

The other cruise lines will follow suite.

The extra $50 for a 50-lb suite case is still a fare deal, opposed to paying $125 or more for 1-suite case.

I have in the past paid the sky cabby a $20 spot, this has been profitable for the airline employee and myself.

Otherwise fly in (Y class) unrestricted coach or higher, depending on the airline.

About lost luggage, it is so important to fly in a day earily and relax. Second, remove all prior tags from your luggage, nobody cares if your Mr./Mrs. Lay-Continental. The scanner may and will redirect your luggage if they read the wrong bar code.

Third, check to make sure that the bar code on the current tags placed on your luggage are not contorted (printer head malfunction). dirty printer heads account for about 60% of mis-directed luggage.:confused:

Fourth, Alway open a frequent Flyer account with the airline your flying, update all your personal contact information, including and tnot limited to, cell/mobil, hotel name/address/phone in both directions and most important the name of your ship, sailing and booking number with the cruise line emergncy (24 HR) contact number.

It's all about your lost luggage finding you.

That brings to mind. Keep a print out of all the aformentioned information on inside and on top of your clothing when securing your suite case. if your tags are removed, TSA agents will have a back-up for locating the owner.

Protocall requires all luggage found abandent or not attended to be secured and contents identified, exception to the rule, is when loaded luggage is routed and the bar codes are confirmed by the carrier for pick-up and storage, this is a typical, when transfer of luggage is completed and the passengers donot make the connection for a number of reasons.

I personally have had luggage redirected, upon scanning of the tag by airline personal, the luggage was placed on direct route to my point of embarkation.

Unless weather is a factor, most lost luggage will be delivered to the hotel/ship with-in 12 hours, Domestic only.

A few years ago, I was embarking at Port Everglades. This was before 911, when you could carry-on everything. my wife at the time had three bottles of high end purfume she purchased in Fort Lauderdale removed from our carry-on. this was done on the dock, because my wife used wash cloths from the hotel to pack all three bottles.

When we spoke to the front desk, they referred us to the passage contract, Basically stating your are responsible for your own luggage, the staff at the front desk onoard also informed us that the personal on the dock are not employee's of the cruise lines, hence (Port charges on your passage ticket). they are outside a contractor Sub-contractor hired by the Port authority, we were further informed that the contractor that collects the luggage are not permitted to enter the ship.

After reading my most current passage contract, you will find that the language restrictions is specific, specifically to valubles, jewery, electronic's and fragile items. If there is a problem, the maximum payout is specified upon verification and approval, there are no other means of collection outside of ARBITRATION at selected venue.

So, if your really worried after reading this, review yourr home owners policy and speek to your issuer to obtain coverage or purchase the insurance offered by the cruise line/indepentent issuer.

Archived