Tipping Tour Drivers

JonconOH

We are using a tour driver/guide for 3 days in Athens. We normally tip the driver/guide at the end of the tour. However, since we will have the same driver/guide for 3 days, what is the proper thing to do? Do we tip him at the end of each day, or at end of the last day? Or, tip him daily, with a special tip on day three? :)

First, it's important to be sure you will have the same guide for all 3 days. We like to tip as we go, the end of each day, with maybe something a bit more on the last day, if deserved. I would not buy lunch in lieu of more of a tip. Often the restaurant where you have lunch will comp the driver's lunch as a thank you for the business.

What I meant was, I think they would rather have the money. I was in the incentive travel business and know that more than not, the drivers have comp lunches. So, in a way, you are paying for what they have free anyway. Figure out the lunch cost and add it to the tip.:)

We just got off the Nautica June 23rd cruise and did private overnight excursions in Egypt and Israel. For both of these, we tipped the guide and the driver at the end of the 2nd day.

Archived