RCCL Legend... Mediterrean Cruise... SOOOOO confused on clothes to bring....

I have a HUGE:o tendency to WAY over pack. I mean... a weekend trip I can easily pack 2 suitcases. WHY:eek: because I like choices and if I need 3 tops I'll bring 5. Plus never know for sure what the weather is like. I am a plus sized middle aged woman so layering things are not my thing. Don't really know how nor have the clothes to do that.

Anyway... my question right now is... on a end of August cruise for 12 days from Rome and doing eastern Med. cruise, a first EVER.... should I bring a pair of jeans for nights or bring a track suit?? I have a "nice" Champion brand track suit. Just didn't know if that was needed, as how chilly does it REALLY get in evenings???

I plan on bringing about 5 pairs of capris for all the day trips/excursions so knees are covered and loads of tops in colors that will go with multiple colors of capris so they can mix/match. I'll bring hand wash soap for the tops as well as Febreeze:p

We'll be on the same ship as you, only in October, plus a few extra days in Rome before and after the cruise to total 19 days in all.

I'm planning to take it to the bone and pack as little as possible. For day wear it's going to be 6 pair of pants, including the ones I wear onto the plane, all the tops I'm taking will coordinate with every pair of pants. My pants are : 2 pair black pants, two khaki colored, one an olive tone and one pair of lightweight jeans. My tops are an assortment of: black, red, yellow, dark tan, a couple of the shirts are striped or have a little floral design, nothing too "cute" or obvious. Then, I'll have two overshirts, one lightweight jacket, one travelers raincoat and a couple of sweaters. The only other addition will be maybe 3 layering camis. All the tops are knit and easy to pack, all can be hand washed if I want or sent out to be laundered.

For evening I'm taking 3 cocktail dresses (I may pare down to two and wear one the first and third evenings, I'll have to see how the packing goes), one pair black pants with 3 different tops, one basic black dress that packs up so small and doesn't ever wrinkle and one black and white dress that does the same.

Shoes, this is where most people get into trouble: two pair walking shoes (one worn onto the plane), one pair sandals, one pair dressy black shoes and one pair casual evening shoes.

Toiletries, I'll do a 3-1-1 bag in my carry on, plus any powder type of makeup in a small makeup bag in my purse. I'll be able to use a bit of my husbands 3-1-1 bag, since he never uses the whole space. We'll probably pack a bit more into our suitcase, but I'm thinking most of what we need can be replenished there if the situation arrives. A small first aid kit and we're done with that.

We'll each carry two outfits in our carry on from the above list, plus robe and slippers and clean underwear. My purse will carry all travel documents, his small carry on will have the camera, DVD player (my one concession to "extra junk") since I have a hard time sleeping anywhere.

His suitcase will contain the same types of clothing as mine for daytime and casual evenings. We'll be renting him a tuxedo onboard to avoid packing a suit and all the trimmings.

We also cross-pack at least one or two outfits into each others suitcases in case one goes to a different destination than we do.

I know our laundry charges will be high on this trip, but I refuse to haul along heavy cases that we cannot manage on our own. The trip is about the travel, not what I'm wearing, no one is going to notice or care that I'm wearing the same pants and shirts 4-5 times. We don't wear old or shabby clothing, we'll look great the whole time, just everything will repeat several times.

One thing I forgot to mention (can you believe it - after that long winded reply :rolleyes: ).......check the airline you are flying with. The overweight and oversize charges can be hefty, double or triple what domestic flights can be. If you are traveling within Europe on small airlines, they may not even take your bag if it is over the limit!

Whatever you end up packing, have a lovely trip :)

Scuze me for jumping in!! The 3-1-1- refers to the carry on toiletries that you are allowed to have. Only 3oz maximum in you 7x8 inch baggie- one per person. Gotta put all those lotions, sun lotions etc into 3 oz containers. Also has to have mascara, makeup, etc etc. NOTHING over 3 oz in carry ons. GOOD LUCK--enjoy!

I too am going on Med cruise but not till nov. Will also only take 6 pr capris/one pair long pants/ 6-8 shirts- will mix and match and launder. Should not be too cool for you in evenings on ship when you are going. Would not waste space with jeans- your track suit for deck at night should be fine. Shoes- ugh- the thing that takes so much room. One on plane-one for night and one sandal is all i get. Will pack in two carry ons and thats it!!

Have fun!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's everything you need to know about 3-1-1

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/311/index.shtm

It's difficult to have enough space for everything you need (liquids), so you need to decide what is most important and leave the rest at home, or pack some of it in your suitcase. I double Ziploc bag everything in my suitcase to protect from spillage if we don't pack it into the carry on bag. Also, don't fill your bottles full and squeeze the air out of any bottles in your suitcase, to adjust for air pressure.

I think one thing many people may misunderstand about 3-1-1 is that the container needs to be 3 oz. or less. For instance, if a tube of toothpaste is 4.8 oz., yet only half full, it is disallowed.

We usually go on our Med vacation in late August/early September and have never needed jeans. Rome in August is usually very hot, hence why the locals clear out for most of the month. I'd think you only need a track suit if you're working out or really prefer having one to lounge around. Don't worry about it being chilly in general. However, you never know with the AC, so bringing a wrap or a cardigan is a smart idea.

Frankly that time of year everything is likely to get sweaty unless it is unusal weather, so budgeting for laundry is a great idea and much easier than lugging heavy, overpacked bags. I like to pack basic bottoms and if I overpack anything it is tops. If you wear 2 really cute different tops with the same white pants, does anyone really notice they are the same pants? Of course not! Separates are a practical option, but a solid colored dress that can be changed with jewelry and scarves is great too.

I used to worry that people would notice when I rewear something until I realized I never noticed when other people did. Pack enough that you don't feel completely confined to a couple of outfits, but make this your baby step from overpacking. Besides then you have room for shopping. I speak to you as a reformed overpacker.

Archived