Wearing Jewelry in Port?

jkeivel11

This is one of many stories: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2090

Carnival Cruisers Robbed in Montego Bay

Seventeen Carnival Conquest cruise passengers were robbed by two men in Jamaica's Montego Bay this past Wednesday. According to news reports, the men were armed; after demanding money from the group, they proceeded to search their pockets for cash, passports, ID's, cameras and other valuables.

Nobody was injured in the June 13 robbery; according to an official statement from Carnival, appropriate law enforcement authorities were notified and many of the stolen items were recovered -- and returned to the guests involved. Carnival also made a counselor available onboard to assist victims and their families.

What makes this incident particularly scary is that the passengers were not exploring on their own at the time but on a Carnival-sponsored shore excursion. The Lethe Village Tour involves a nine-mile drive by bus from Montego Bay to the country village of Lethe in Hanover, where a tractor-drawn jitney shuttles guests around the village, a private garden and banana plantation.

"I am one of the 17," Cruise Critic member bluebonnet posts on the Carnival forum. "It was myself, my mom and two daughters 12 and 24 on this Carnival-sponsored tour to the Lethe Village. It was a fabulous tour up to the point of gunpoint. We had been turned over to an elderly driver of the tractor pulled open air like trolley called a jitney. We had just come from the banana plantation and were headed to listen to some school age children sing for us.

"Two young males came out from bushes one was carrying a shoe box and pulled out his gun, the other had a machete and gun. The one that did all the [talking] was next to me most of the time. I was told I would be killed if I did not give him everything, as was everyone else. I can describe how scared everyone was, especially the children. The youngest child on the tour was begging for her life ... not something you experience everyday and most not in their lifetime!" To read the rest of her story, click here.

The original cruise critic thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=574296

Oh dear God!!!!! I never never absolutely never would have known!!! Geez!!! I got chills reading this story!!!! I have never been to Jamaica... I have always always wanted to go....but now....I just don't know.... I want to say that I have been....:( But I value my life more....

I want to say that I have been....:( But I value my life more....

Jamaica puts out alot of BS tourism info that they get a bad rap... well thats because they are not doing anything about their crime rate there.

There are way too many beautiful islands in the Carribbean to enjoy and not have to worry about getting robbed raped etc. Also ask a Gay person what they think about Jamaica, heres an example, but these crimes do not stop with gay people.

"In light of published news reports and first-hand accounts of growing anti-gay crimes and threats in Jamaica, the International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association (IGLTA) strongly condemns Jamaica's climate of fear, hatred and hostility towards all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people."

It has been well documented in the national media the violence and intolerance that LBGT people have suffered on the Island of Jamaica. The government of Jamaica has done little to stop or protects its LBGT residents and visitors from being the target of these hate crimes.

It's a shame because Jamaica is so beautiful and many of the people are so friendly and interesting. I enjoyed my time there and would definitely go back, but I wouldn't wander around alone.

That said, I never bring any sentimental or expensive jewelry off the ship, mostly because we do a lot of snorkeling and I don't want to lose it or attract naughty fishies! In the back of my head, I also don't like wearing it because of the possibility of theft.

Archived