Upgrades

gingerja

Hi, am new to cruising, apart one down the Nile (amazing) which is totally different to say the Pacific Sun we will be going on in Sept. We're 3 families with 3 x 18 year old boys (all in one cabin). Expect to be up doing stuff while teenagers sleep 1/2 the day away. Now i've been told sometimes you are given upgrades. Can anyone tell me how these occur, do you request them or is it pure luck.

Thanks and any tips for first timers with older kids?

Usually when you book, your T/A will ask you if you would like to be upgraded if the opportunity arises. It's more difficult when travelling with other people. I'm guessing you have 4 cabins booked?? If you have and they're all next to each other & you want it to stay that way, then your chances of being upgraded would be very low.

In my opinion, being upgraded to a higher deck is really no big deal and if that meant being seperated from everyone else I booked with I wouldn't bother. However, being upgraded from an inside cabin to an outside or from a normal cabin to a balcony is a different story.

We are booked on Plaza deck in an outside cabin, midships. When DH booked it he told the T/A that we would like to be upgraded if the opportunity arises but to be honest, I don't care if we don't. I've got my outside cabin and as we are travelling as a family of 4, we cannot be upgraded to a balcony or suite (unless they give us 2 cabins:D ). Also, we're right across from the laundry which will be very convenient.

thanks for that. Yes 4 cabins in total, however the 3 older couples (us) are on deck 5, and the cabin with teenage boys is a deck above us, so weve been sort of split up already.

cheers

As Karen said, upgrades are just luck. On our last several cruises we have been booked either with two cabins or with four. We were upgraded all except on one occasion. One upgrade was for four cabins, and we remained together. Your bookings will be 'linked' so it is unlikely they will upgrade one cabin and not all of them.:):)

Am i wrong in thinking, upgrades would go to past passengers first??

It would make business sense to pass on an upgrade to a past passenger well before a first time passenger.

Then again i have been surprised at different ways of hospitality business sense, workings before.

We got upgraded two decks on our first P&O cruise. I thought it was more than likely because we booked so far in advance (17 months) and paid the brochure fare.........no special discounts. Not really sure how they do it.

Archived