Tortola info from 7/1 CB cruise ????????

tcrny

Hi ... did any of the cruisers from 7/1 CB feel there was enough time to visit Baths? We are in port 7am-1pm and although the ship offers the excursion, does it really leave us time to enjoy the Baths for the price ($69x4)? I so wanted to go there, but from what others have said, you need several hours at Baths to really enjoy it, especially not knowing how crowded it will be. I recall seeing that it takes 45 min-1hr each way just to get to Virgin Gorda. This is my first trip to any of these islands and I want to make the right choice. Thanks so much!!!!! Cathy

Hi ... did any of the cruisers from 7/1 CB feel there was enough time to visit Baths? We are in port 7am-1pm and although the ship offers the excursion, does it really leave us time to enjoy the Baths for the price ($69x4)? I so wanted to go there, but from what others have said, you need several hours at Baths to really enjoy it, especially not knowing how crowded it will be. I recall seeing that it takes 45 min-1hr each way just to get to Virgin Gorda. This is my first trip to any of these islands and I want to make the right choice. Thanks so much!!!!! Cathy

Although we were not on this cruise, we have visited the Bath's many times in the past. They are easy to do on your own without a ships excursions normally, but with this shortened port schedule, I would definitely take the ships excursion. It is correct that it takes about an hour by ferry to get over to Virgin Gorda, and an hour back.

That would give you probably 2-3 hours of actual time there which if you really have been looking forward to it would be enough time (although for us, there is never enough time to explore and swim there ;))

If you don't think you will get back to Tortola in the near future, I would definitely say it is worth it to grab this excursion.

Thanks Toto ... I looked at the excursion listed by Princess and they say the total excursion will be approx. 4 hours, so that would mean 2 hours at Baths. I don't know if we are the only ship in port, but with our ship 3000+ pax, I don't know how crowded it could be and I don't want to spend the limited 2 hours with crowds. Can the Baths get very crowded?

TCRNY -- I also answered this for you on the other thread ... but just in case you don't check that one, I'll repost here. We were on Tortola on the CB last week:

We did book through the ship ($79 each). It was a bit rushed ... but not bad. A shuttle boat picks you up at the dock (around 8:00am) for a 30 minute ride over to Virgin Gorda. Then an open-air truck takes you on about a 5 minute ride to The Baths National Park. You take a 300 yard walk down to the baths/beach. If you stay at that location you'll have about 2 hours until you need to be back on top at 11:30. But, I'd encourage you to take the walk through the cave (not really a cave but really rocks on top of each other). It's tight is some places ... but I'm 6'5" and I made it through okay. It's never dark or scary. The beach at the other side (Devil's Beach) is simply one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. You end up having about an hour and a half there. It is a bit short ... but if you don't think you'll get back to Virgin Gorda, I'd highly recommend it. The only downside is that you have no time to explore Road Town which others on the ship said was a nice old Caribbean town with lots of shops.

What is the date you are arriving? Since the schedule has changed, not sure if I can pull it up on the Princess site? I can check the port schedule and see if by chance maybe you are the only ship in port that day.

We are there on 8/2 from 7-1. Last time I checked port time dot com it was still showing original itinerary. Thanks!

We are there on 8/2 from 7-1. Last time I checked port time dot com it was still showing original itinerary. Thanks!

don't forget that you most likely won't get off the ship until 7:30 and you have to be back on board at 12:30!

We didn't do the Baths last week. We booked Dolphin Discovery on our own. We had a great time and had plenty of time to do it and get back.

What is the date you are arriving? Since the schedule has changed, not sure if I can pull it up on the Princess site? I can check the port schedule and see if by chance maybe you are the only ship in port that day.
I believe there is also a Carnival ship in port that day.

Lew

It doesn't look like any other ships will be in port with you on 8/2.
You're right! The Carnival Miracle was supposed to be in port with us, but they're going to Grand Turk instead.

That should lighten the load a bit...

Lew

20080712-r61uew565mx17hb93p6bk39rmh.preview.jpg

Thanks everyone .... hmmmmmm now I'll have to rethink this. Figured there wasn't enough time, and would go leisurely to Brewers Bay to snorkel. Now that it looks like we are the only ship in port, maybe we should go to Baths. I don't know when I'll ever be back there and the Baths sound amazing. Has anyone booked this already ... and is there a chance they cap how many sign up and only take limited number? :eek:

Archived