Russian bathrooms

I found the toilets in Russia to be very clean and well maintained. I never did run into the hole in the floor type. The worst toilets I ever experienced were in Beijing at the Silk Market, which I believe someone said no longer exists. At the end of one of the alleys was a dark door that went into an even darker room with nothing but open holes going right into open sewers - and I had to pay for that! :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I was aprehensive going to China in 06', but our tour guide was fabulous in guiding his ladies to only suitable facilities. If push came to shove (hole in the floor) there was always the handicapped stall. I do not know what I will find in St. Petersburg but I am sure that Alla will do right by us. Just take T.P. to be on the safe side. By the way, a web site http://www.the bathroom diaries.com is a cute sight to read and does have some great suggestions as to toilets around the globe. Happy travels.

Just be sure to check your Purell; yesterday my husband was in Shanghai and the TSA confiscated his Purell because they put it on a razor blade and lit it on fire. Of course it will burn; 100% alcohol!!!

This got to be one for the books!! What if you were to hold a flame to a pack of tissues, will they burn? Of course, they are 99% flammable stuff.

The hole in the floor can be found in many places around the world, including 'underdeveloped countries' such as China and Japan. But not often where the tourists would typically go. The 'friends' who started this rumor might have been to Asia a century ago, or they were not prepared for what they got themselves involved with.

A fun men's toilet where I took some pictures was Tallinn. The ladies had more fun with theirs because they claimed it was an actual throne.

b409.jpgb411.jpgb410.jpg

I would take hand sanitizer. I normally carry it with me when I travel, and I forgot. Both restaurants we ate at did not have any in their bathrooms. I am REALLY picky about that. Luckily someone on the tour had some. Granted not having soap isn't that uncommon in restrooms in all countries, but I just thought I would mention it.

Archived