Flexible Dining: Does it Belong on Carnival?

Should Carnival offer flexible dining fleetwide?  

712 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival offer flexible dining fleetwide?

• Yes, flexible dining is the best!
    • No, it's not Carnival's style.
    • Maybe, let's wait and see.
    • I don't care, as long as the food is good.
    • No, I prefer traditional dining.

I would change the first part of your statement to "As long as they keep the choice of traditional, for all that want it." I would agree.

Seems to be the biggest problem on Princess and HAL.

They will......just like Princess and HAL;)

You know, it's not an all or nothing thing. It's not traditional OR flexible. I keep seeing posts "as long as they keep traditional..." They are keeping traditional. They are simply offering another option for folks based on their comment cards and research. NCL is the only line that is all flexible/freestyle/anytime, whatever you want to call it. I don't see anything wrong with it, as hopefully people that want traditional will still be able to get it, and those that want the flexibility will have that in a dining room setting.

I have done both kinds of dining and my DH and I didn't like it at all and am sorry to see CC going this way.

We have always sailed and loved CC but sailed with NCL recently.

The ship had 12? dining options from Chinese, Steakhouse, Italian, French to traditional dining. We found that you had to make reservations at any of the restaurants offered. You weren't able to book your options for the entire week only the current day and the next day. Some restaurants were very popular and very difficult to get a table. They also had a surcharge for about 1/2 of them (the most popular).

At 9 am every morning I was on the phone (always a busy signal) trying to get the next day's dinner reservation. But then so was everyone else.

We ended up eating in the main dining room for most of the remainder of the cruise.

It just wasn't worth the time invested. Stick with the traditional dining Carnival.

We have taken about 8 cruises. Two of them have been anytime dining. One on Princess, one on NCL. Both were not pleasant dining experiences.

Service was very sad on Princess at dinner time. Beepers to call us when our table was ready, let us go enjoy a drink while waiting. Twice we were directed to go to sit at a table across the room and sit down. Nobody took us to the table. Napkins weren't offered to be placed on our laps. Menus were tossed at us. Servers were rushed and unfriendly. Very impatient.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/mad.gif Menus were not explained, questions answered in an inpatient fashion. Drink requests were sometimes not served w/o asking several times.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

Smiles were seldom seen in the dining room. We felt that the servers felt, they didn't have to try to earn a tip, as tips were built into the cruise. They waited on different guests each time.

Service on NCL was similar. Many times dinner was rushed. Coffee and after dinner drinks didn't arrive at the table sometimes for 20 or more minutes after our dinner had been cleared. You almost had to chose to eat after 7:30 p.m. if you wanted a table. Being the last ones in the dining room, due to being seated late, we were usually rushed out of the dining room.

Our trips on Holland, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity with assigned dining, gave us a pleasurable dining experience. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Never rushed and always had happy wait staff, who tried to please. Seated at our tables and offered napkins and menus with a smile.

We would avoid anytime dining on ships and would chose our cruises accordingly. I sure hope this is not another pleasure taken away from cruising. Might need to look for other choices for vacations...

After one Celebrity and two Carnival cruises, we're trying NCL next summer. I'm anxious to try freestyle cruising! We're active people and we take as much time on shore as we can; rushing back to shower, change clothes, etc., just to get to dinner at a particular time is not our thing. But, to each his own. I'm just happy to be able to travel; many are not as fortunate!

on our last cruise in march 2009, i promised my family no formal wear or monkey suits and this was the most casual cruise yet. yes, my husband did show up in the dining room with a pair of nice shorts and shirt and hopefully it did not offend anyone because on the table next to us there were young adults wearing tank tops with shorts. now out of respect for those who do like to dress up we did not attend the dining area on the first formal night and ate in the buffet area and ended liking that much better. we did miss the chocolate warming fudge cake but we found that area to eat far more relaxing and actually got really good food and service!! :p

on our last cruise in march 2008, i promised my family no formal wear or monkey suits and this was the most casual cruise yet. yes, my husband did show up in the dining room with a pair of nice shorts and shirt and hopefully it did not offend anyone because on the table next to us there were young adults wearing tank tops with shorts. now out of respect for those who do like to dress up we did not attend the dining area on the first formal night and ate in the buffet area and ended liking that much better. we did miss the chocolate warming fudge cake but we found that area to eat far more relaxing and actually got really good food and service!! :p

You know, it's not an all or nothing thing. It's not traditional OR flexible. I keep seeing posts "as long as they keep traditional..." They are keeping traditional. They are simply offering another option for folks based on their comment cards and research. NCL is the only line that is all flexible/freestyle/anytime, whatever you want to call it. I don't see anything wrong with it, as hopefully people that want traditional will still be able to get it, and those that want the flexibility will have that in a dining room setting.

Exactly! It seems to me alot are confused. They think it is all or nothing.........

Archived