What taxi company?

texasgirl

We're going to be going over to St John for a few hours but, when we get back to Red Hook, are going to need a driver/guide for a couple more hours. We want to stop briefly at Sapphire and Coki, then drive up to Mountaintop and/or Drake's Seat, back through town to stop at the International Plaza just long enough to hit the Harley store, a 1/2 hour trip by Kmart for booze shopping then back to the ship. Do we have a choice of taxi companies or will we be dealing strictly with the group at Red Hook? Is it East End or West End Taxi? Naturally I'm looking at how to get the best deal. Thanks

There are different taxi companies; VI Taxi, Independent, East End Taxi... however they all follow the published rates (with the exception of non-licensed "taxis"). So its not the company that will offer you better then others as far as rates; this is up to the individual drivers as to whether they are willing to negociate on the set price for a tour, or for a certain destination. What you describe is going to be negociable in terms of price anyway as its not the standard tour route, plus they would have to wait for you at your various stops - which is typically additional. You can call the dispatchers and ask for a price quote and see what they tell you or when you get to Red Hook discuss with the drivers there and see who gives the best deal. As to whether some taxi groups have contracts for certain places - yes; so one group may not be able to come to a certain spot and solicit business but if he/she was called directly and arranged to pick a person up then that is ok; I don't know what group is usually out at Red Hook or whether they are all allowed there? You can find some numbers at http://*****/stthomas/getting_around_stt/taxi_stt/

--Islander

Speaking of Kmart, I found the selection to be limited (aka they didn't have my brand of scotch). Depending on what your booze requirements are, I didn't find the price difference to be worth my time for a special trip to kmart, and in my case, it was a waste of time.

If you are only in St Thomas for a port stop, the traffic between Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook can be incredible at times.

I thought I had read about another H-D store in Havensight, but perhaps was hallucinating.

http://www.h-dstthomas.com/

Love the tshirt in the website!!! I have a feeling I'll be a hit with my kids this Christmas with that one. Thanks for posting it. Now - where would you shop for booze? I'll be looking for good whiskey - Crown, etc, Johnnie Walker Blue (more christmas) and of course, Absolute. We'll be there on a Saturday.... what's the weekend traffic like?

I found a toll free number for East End in one of the websites posted. I'll be able to work on that little tour as time gets a little closer (6 weeks from today to leave the Tampa port).

I love this board!

I think Kmart might have Crown, perhaps Absolute, but was looking for Johnnie Walker Black (not even blue) and there was none to be found. This was a couple of years ago, but since then I just go to one of the liquor places, know I'll find what I want, even if it is a little more.

I usually just go the A.H. Riise. They will box your purchase up nice, plus, they will throw in something extra (cheap bottle of wine or something or more) depending on how much you spend. You should have no problem getting something "free" with the Blue purchase.

Something you can buy in St Thomas that you can't find in Texas, is Johnnie Walker Swing. I prefer Black Label, but the bottle is something else. Made to "swing" back and forth - sailboat friendly!

Depending on your cruise line, they may "confiscate" the booze, but will give it back the last full day.

As for traffic, I never know why - perhaps an accident, perhaps something else. Usually it is no problem for me, but once in a while it seems like gridlock for a while. Just something to account for if you are going to be running on a tight schedule.

If you are flying into or out Saint Thomas, there is a handy little liquor mart in the airport that seemed to have the same prices as downtown.

Thanks so much for all the info. I think we're set now. Can't wait to tell hubby about the Swing bottle. Just as a side note - if you're ever in Texas and want the very best vodka made try Tito's. It's sometimes a little hard to find, it's only made in Texas but it's exceptional.

Depending on your cruise line, they may "confiscate" the booze, but will give it back the last full day.
More often than not the liquor store, especially one such as Riise, will deliver your purchase to the ship where it will be held in bond until the last night when it is delivered to your cabin.

*If* you are able to walk out of the store with your booze carton, it will be easy for gangway security to spot and request you turn it in.

More often than not the liquor store, especially one such as Riise, will deliver your purchase to the ship where it will be held in bond until the last night when it is delivered to your cabin.

*If* you are able to walk out of the store with your booze carton, it will be easy for gangway security to spot and request you turn it in.

If buying in bulk, I would think it might be convenient to have them deliver it to the ship, but I have never had trouble walking out with it on St Thomas. How would they know if I was a cruise ship passenger or an island visitor or resident? I've never been asked.

I was impressed with the sturdy box and how carefully it was packed, but a little annoyed it took such an effort to get to the goods and toss the box.

Sometimes they notice in on an xray machine and sometimes they don't. Just try not clank the bottles too much and by all means - don't drop your bag!

Thanks so much for all the info. I think we're set now. Can't wait to tell hubby about the Swing bottle. Just as a side note - if you're ever in Texas and want the very best vodka made try Tito's. It's sometimes a little hard to find, it's only made in Texas but it's exceptional.

Hmmm. If it is the very best, I might have to question why you are shopping for Absolute?

I've never heard of but don't normally drink vodka. I do get to Texas sometimes, 3 times this year, so far. I emailed a friend of mine in Houston asking about, and I think she may still be laughing - I'm not sure if that means I'm an idiot for asking, or I'm an idiot for asking. But I'm going to figure this out. Did find:

http://www.titos-vodka.com/

I tried various ages,

1234567891234567890987654333333333333456666666666666 was not questioned.

I accept the challenge!

It's amazing how many people in Texas - even in liquor stores have never heard of Tito's. That's the correct website but I guess I was wrong about only being able to get it in Texas. At least it's made in Texas - and it's good! Looks like there's a distributor in Tempe too. Amazing - me wrong about something - wait until hubby hears this!!!

Absolute is great for Christmas gifts.

Archived