Missing debarkation due to travel delay

jean212

WOW - now more things to worry about:( . (we'll never do this again) So now our options are to hope the plane arrives on time (we are scheduled to arrive in Miami at 2 p.m. ); change the complete airline tickets around (and we're not opposed to paying the penalty fee, but it would suck since we got the tickets for free) - I also didn't realize about the cancellation of the return trip; or depend on the insurance to get us to Puerto Rico to meet up with the ship... Thanks for everyone's advice -like I said we'll never do this again

sorry - I meant embarkation! and I will look for the person's review who missed the ship. We have a 2 hour time frame to get to the ship. We've never done this before and are starting to sweat. But we did purchase insurance.

The insurance may or may not help you. For example, this is from Travelex:

"TRIP DELAY/MISSED CONNECTION

You are covered up to the Maximum Benefit Amount for:

a) Additional Transportation Cost to join the Covered Trip or return home, including up to $200 per day for reasonable accommodations and meals, if Your delay requires an unplanned overnight stay; and/or

b) unused non-refundable portion of the prepaid expenses as long as the expenses are supported by proof of purchase and are not reimbursable by any other source.

Delay must be five (5) hours or more and certified due to the following reasons:

1) delay of Common Carrier (which is certified by the Common Carrier);

. . ."

This is from Travel Insured:

"Missed Connection: Covers missed Cruise or Trip departures which result from cancellation or delay (for three or more hours) of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to inclement weather or any Common Carrier-caused delay."

The insurers pretty much figure that if you're going to cut it this close (two hours) you're on your own.

We were going to Hawaii (NCL) flying United through the cruiseline and got to the airport only to find out our first flight had been canceled because of no pilots. Because it was near a holiday all flights were booked. United did get us flights 2 days later to our port stop for that day BUT we missed 2 days of our cruise. We didn't have insurance but I don't know how what would have helped much except maybe some compensation for the missed cruise days. United was good about getting us to our destination although late and even arranged for a hotel in Honolulu for us. Still we learned our lesson the hard way - fly in early!

WOW - now more things to worry about:( . (we'll never do this again) So now our options are to hope the plane arrives on time (we are scheduled to arrive in Miami at 2 p.m. ); change the complete airline tickets around (and we're not opposed to paying the penalty fee, but it would suck since we got the tickets for free) - I also didn't realize about the cancellation of the return trip; or depend on the insurance to get us to Puerto Rico to meet up with the ship... Thanks for everyone's advice -like I said we'll never do this again

I say this with all honesty. Pay the money and change your flights. You have little likelihood of catching a ship with a 4pm departure if you are not scheduled to land at MIA until 2pm.

Consider that you have to be onboard no later than 60 minutes prior to departure, so you have to be checked in and onboard the ship no later than 3pm. You've only got 60 minutes to get your bags (usually takes several minutes, last time I flew into MIA it took over 1.5 hours), get a taxi to the pier, and drive the 20-30 minutes to the pier (assuming no traffic). If everything goes right, and it rarely does especially with air travel, you might make the ship, but that's only a might. The last time I flew into MIA my flight landed early, at 12:15, yet I didn't make it to the pier until after 3pm.

Is there any truth to the rule if you buy cruise air it is their responsibility to get you to the ship?

Obviously, with the problem I wrote about earlier (see post above) it wasn't the cruise ship's fault that we missed 2 days of our cruise. NCL had booked flights we really liked but they couldn't predict that the pilots wouldn't show up. If the situation had been that our flights were just late would the ship wait or worry that you aren't there??? I will give United credit for making it right with us but missing 2 days of our cruise was a total bummer.

Right now, the cruise air we have booked is MUCH cheaper than anything I can find on our own to San Juan but I am obviously very concerned about flying in the day of the cruise - it does help that the cruise doesn't leave until 10 PM but if we don't get to SJ it doesn't matter what time the ship leaves - we just know we want to be on it!

Is there any truth to the rule if you buy cruise air it is their responsibility to get you to the ship?

Obviously, with the problem I wrote about earlier (see post above) it wasn't the cruise ship's fault that we missed 2 days of our cruise. NCL had booked flights we really liked but they couldn't predict that the pilots wouldn't show up. If the situation had been that our flights were just late would the ship wait or worry that you aren't there??? I will give United credit for making it right with us but missing 2 days of our cruise was a total bummer.

Right now, the cruise air we have booked is MUCH cheaper than anything I can find on our own to San Juan but I am obviously very concerned about flying in the day of the cruise - it does help that the cruise doesn't leave until 10 PM but if we don't get to SJ it doesn't matter what time the ship leaves - we just know we want to be on it!

No truth to that rumor. There is a disclaimer in the paperwork to the effect that they were just doing you a favor by booking the air for you. BUT, the reports are that they do try very hard to get you on the ship.

Dan

Carnival doesn't think so:

"Carnival, in arranging for . . . pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest"

Carnival doesn't think so:

"Carnival, in arranging for . . . pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest"

Thanks, that's what I thought but I keep hearing people say they think they are safe this way. I am still nervous about flying the day of the cruise so will do everything I can to find my own earlier (and hopefully reasonably priced) flights!

Archived